Posted to rec.audio.pro
Blabber Blabber is offline

Default Help: Opening files with Adobe Audition

Hoping that someone can offer some advice on this....

If I double click on a .wav file, Adobe Audition opens (I have Audition set
as the default player for that mime type) but the file is not loaded. I
have to drag the file into the main window to get it to load. I'm working
in an office where several individuals are running Audition and on some PC's
the file will open and play, and other others, it won't. I can't find
anything in the settings that would explain the varied behavior. Any
suggestions on how auto load and play is set. Thanks for any suggestions.

PS: If I right click the file and choose: "send to" Audition, Audition will
open and play the file.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

On Oct 9, 7:22 pm, "Blabber" wrote:
Hoping that someone can offer some advice on this....

If I double click on a .wav file, Adobe Audition opens (I have Audition set
as the default player for that mime type) but the file is not loaded. I
have to drag the file into the main window to get it to load. I'm working
in an office where several individuals are running Audition and on some PC's
the file will open and play, and other others, it won't. I can't find
anything in the settings that would explain the varied behavior. Any
suggestions on how auto load and play is set. Thanks for any suggestions.

PS: If I right click the file and choose: "send to" Audition, Audition will
open and play the file.

Sounds like you screwed up the file association for .wav files on the
machines that work wrong.

Look at the file association for .wav files on the machines that work
right, and port it to the machines that work wrong.

I think that the Audition program's preferences has an option for
controlling this, as well as the usual file associations that you can
access through any windows explorer window under tools, folder
options, file types.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Blabber Blabber is offline

Hi:

Thanks for your note. The file associations are correct, the file mime type
is set to Adobe Audition. When clicking on a .wav file, Audition opens,
clearly confirming that the mime type is correctly set.

If there is a preference to control this, and it would seem to me that there
is, I cant find it. I was hoping that someone would know which setting
might control this behavior.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 9, 7:22 pm, "Blabber" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Blabber" wrote ...
Thanks for your note. The file associations are correct, the file mime
type is set to Adobe Audition. When clicking on a .wav file, Audition
opens, clearly confirming that the mime type is correctly set.

If there is a preference to control this, and it would seem to me that
there is, I cant find it. I was hoping that someone would know which
setting might control this behavior.

Remember that there are Audition-dedicated online forums
available at Adobe's website where this question might have
a better chance of being answered by someone who knows.

You might also want to clarify which "main window" you are
talking about (since there are two, the muti-track view, and the
original stereo window).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Lamp John Lamp is offline

Blabber wrote:
Thanks for your note. The file associations are correct, the file mime
type is set to Adobe Audition. When clicking on a .wav file, Audition
opens, clearly confirming that the mime type is correctly set.

If there is a preference to control this, and it would seem to me that
there is, I cant find it. I was hoping that someone would know which
setting might control this behavior.

Yes, but it's not just a matter of the file association pointing to the
right application, the right parameters have to be set in the file
association. Do what the bloke said, look at the file associations on
the machines that work, then compare them to the file associations on
the ones that don't!

Cheers
John

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Blabber Blabber is offline

Default Opening files with Adobe Audition

Ok I figured it out.

Windows Media player was retaining the default .wav file association even
though it was set to Adobe Audition in the system. Once the WMP .wav file
association is deleted (from within WMP) everything works fine.

"Blabber" wrote in message
Hoping that someone can offer some advice on this....

If I double click on a .wav file, Adobe Audition opens (I have Audition
set as the default player for that mime type) but the file is not loaded.
I have to drag the file into the main window to get it to load. I'm
working in an office where several individuals are running Audition and on
some PC's the file will open and play, and other others, it won't. I
can't find anything in the settings that would explain the varied
behavior. Any suggestions on how auto load and play is set. Thanks for
any suggestions.

PS: If I right click the file and choose: "send to" Audition, Audition
will open and play the file.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Blabber" wrote ...
Ok I figured it out.

Windows Media player was retaining the default .wav file association even
though it was set to Adobe Audition in the system. Once the WMP .wav file
association is deleted (from within WMP) everything works fine.

There seem to be multiple layers (hierarchies? copies?)
of file associations. Not the only confusing part of MS Win.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Blabber wrote:

Ok I figured it out.

Windows Media player was retaining the default .wav file association
even though it was set to Adobe Audition in the system. Once the WMP
.wav file association is deleted (from within WMP) everything works
fine.

Media player has Reallayers virus like behaviour and will default to grab
file types back that it is configured to handle inititally, which is why you
need to alter its setup if you want something else to handle some file type.

It also "knows best", and the default loudspeaker choice - desktop
loudspeakers - is severely coloured. Even on small boxes that ain't got no
bass the playback choice "headphones" sound cleanest to me. Didn'št bother
to verify just what which setting does, perhaps an idea for Arny to
investigate.

I suspect it of normalizing if you burn audio cd's from it .... never
bothered to really verify, but a cd burned from it was louder than one
burned from the same files but with Feurio.

Another possible system difference may be that it is defineable during
install whether Audition should register filetypes. Also its behaviour if
called with a file as argument .... ie. opened via an explorer file
association ... is configurable.

Open audition, open the file ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Adobe Audition 2.0 mc Pro Audio 25 January 22nd 06 11:35 PM
adobe audition: cd tracks, session files, and project view xerd Pro Audio 6 April 7th 05 08:43 PM
adobe audition greggery peccary Pro Audio 2 February 28th 05 01:02 AM
Help with Adobe Audition burke Pro Audio 1 October 11th 03 02:38 AM
Adobe Audition On Its Way Randy Given Pro Audio 13 August 28th 03 06:43 PM