Posted to rec.music.makers.marketplace,rec.audio.pro
MarkSG MarkSG is offline

Default FS: Frontier Design Dakota Multitrack PC Recording Interface with Montana ADAT Lightpipe Card

Frontier Design Dakota Multitrack PC Recording Interface with Montana ADAT
Lightpipe Card

The Frontier Design Dakota / Montana system is the perfect PCI system for
professional digital audio
recording and MIDI production.

This is a 16 channel lightpipe card with 2 adat ins 2 adat outs,
a midi in and out and SP/DIF.

Drivers are available at www.frontierdesign.com.

The Frontier Montana Cards adds ADAT I/O for the Frontier Dakota card.
It adds 16 more lightpipe channels and wordclock plus the sierra which has
8 midi I/O making this a complete studio solution.
It also gives you the ability to sync to workclock so all your lightpipe
will be in sync.

It may look like just another PCI card at first glance. But delve a little
deeper, and you'll discover that
Dakota is one of the most powerful and highly integrated computer audio
production tools you can get today.

One Card, Lots of Connections
Instead of turning to separate devices for digital audio, MIDI and
synchronization for your computer, choose Dakota.
It provides a full complement of 16 high-performance 24-bit digital audio
channels in ADAT Optical "lightpipe" format.
Its breakout cable offers interfacing with S/PDIF digital audio I/O on RCA
jacks, as well as ADAT 9-pin sync input.
Dakota also features two MIDI inputs and two MIDI outputs, as well as an
internal CD-ROM digital audio cable for
direct transfers of audio CDs. Plus, Dakota's SMPTE and ADAT sync ensure
that all of your studio components can
stay locked together.

Who Needs It?
Anyone who records, composes or performs music with a computer will benefit
from Dakota.
It's a great way to connect your digital mixers, tape machines,
synthesizers, samplers,
sequencers, video decks, sound modules, and more. Dakota is compatible with
most popular
recording, editing and sequencing software. You can also send audio directly
to and from
your computer via an external multichannel converter (like our Tango24).

Thirsty for sync? Have a SoDA!
Dakota's audio channels support Frontier Design Group's innovative SoDA
(SMPTE on Digital Audio)
technology. This unique advantage lets you use any digital audio input or
output for SMPTE timecode.
Standard audio channels, in either ADAT optical or S/PDIF format, can be
defined as SMPTE I/O ports
using the Dakota control panel - no additional hardware is required. SMPTE
signals are detected,
decoded, and delivered digitally to external analog converters. Plus,
Dakota's hardware supports
SMPTE and MIDI timecode chase-lock, a big benefit over software-based
approaches that tax your CPU.

Easy to Install, Easy to Use ... Get to work!
Frustrated of wasting your time configuring your studio's audio, MIDI and
sync to work together?
Dakota is the answer. Install it in a standard PCI slot in your Mac or PC,
and you'll have a
superintegrated interface for all your audio needs at your fingertips.

Quick Facts

PCI interface card for Mac and PC
Compatible with most popular software applications via ASIO
GSIF support for GigaSampler and GigaStudio
16 channels ADAT lightpipe in
16 channels ADAT lightpipe out
2-channel S/PDIF on coax or optical cables
2x2 MIDI on standard MIDI cables
SMPTE using any compatible digital audio converter and its analog I/O
ADAT sync input for sample-accurate, multi-machine sync

Review

"The Dakota performed wonderfully with everything we threw at it."

"The Frontier Design Dakota/Montana combination is a very powerful and
reliable I/O system.
It runs smoothly, integrates well with existing PC software, and provides a
wide variety of
digital audio and MIDI interfacing for the computer multitrack studio."

- Lorenz Rychner and Matthew Zlaten, Recording Magazine, August 1999
© 1999, Music Maker Publications, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by
permission.

The standalone Dakota has 18 digital audio channels (16 on ADAT optical
ports and 2 more on SPDIF ports),
both input and output. And with an attached Montana it supports 34 channels
in and out (32 on ADAT opticals
plus 2 on SPDIF).

Includes the Frontier Designs Dakota PCI Card, Montana PCI Card, Breakout
Cable, Operation Manuals for
both the Dakota and Montana, and Driver Software. Excellent hardly, hardly
(if ever) used.

$250 obo.

Pictures:
http://www.markglinsky.com/pics/FrontierCards1.jpg