Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] docgorpon@aol.com is offline

Default Recording drum triggers

I've given up trying to come up with decent drum sounds in my room.
I'm thinking of trying triggers. But I'm clueless on the matter.
I'm looking at units such as the Alesis DM5. But I'm confused.. I
notice that it has 12 inputs. Great. But only 4 outputs. Does this
mean that I have to mix the drums down to 4 tracks before they go to
tape? I'd like to have the whole drum kit in seperate tracks to mix
later. How do I achieve this with a trigger?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau[_2_] Romeo Rondeau[_2_] is offline

wrote:
I've given up trying to come up with decent drum sounds in my room.
I'm thinking of trying triggers. But I'm clueless on the matter.
I'm looking at units such as the Alesis DM5. But I'm confused.. I
notice that it has 12 inputs. Great. But only 4 outputs. Does this
mean that I have to mix the drums down to 4 tracks before they go to
tape? I'd like to have the whole drum kit in seperate tracks to mix
later. How do I achieve this with a trigger?

If you've got the tape tracks, you can record the drums acoustically to
separate tape tracks, then feed them into the DM5 onto other tape
tracks. You can do these 4 channels at a time, like kick and snare on 2
outputs and toms in stereo on the other two. This way if you have
something that doesn't trigger quite right in a section or two of the
song, you can adjust the trigger for that section and punch it in. They
are already EQ'd fairly well, you shouldn't need any more than 4
channels all that should be necessary is some very basic EQ to make them
sit in the mix if any at all, if you do need heavier processing, you can
always buy 2 of them, they are cheap. I personally wouldn't use them
with all of the drum plugins available today if I were going for
triggered drums. I would rather close mike real drums if I've got a
crappy room than trigger any day of the week... you can always deaden
the room, with mikes up close it's not that noticeable. You may like it,
but I'll take drums in a dead room over triggered drums any day of the week.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...oid=19395 558