Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Nassy Nassy is offline

Default Just purchased New Computer - Need Sound Card basic Advice - Help!

Hi,

I have just bought a new Intel computer (DELL) that I will be using to
record music on (due to be delivered this Friday). However it comes
with several parts missing: needs extra RAM, wireless network card
and a sound card. I will be using CUBASE (yet to purchase) as the
main recording software.

Having done some research I have heard that Audigy and XFi make some
decent soundcards but the better ones cost $$$. A secondhand Audigy
Pro from last year is now relatively cheap though but no idea if that
is now considered good enough (??). In a nutshell I need some basic
advice on a good soundcard to buy as I know you can get external and
internal soundcards. The soundcard must be MIDI and audio compatible
as I work with both keyboard, vocals and guitar. I already own an
external Edirol USB device that I used with my old computer and not
sure whether I should just spend more money on a decent internal
soundcard and discard the USB device completely.

The last thing I want to do is just buy the most expensive Audigy etc
and then assume that is ok. I am happy to spend up to several
hundred on a good (or at least decent) sound card though. While I
realise fully that opinions differ on what products are best, these
days there just seems to be an overwhelming amount of stuff out there
on the market and therefore I need some basic advice on where to
start.

Rgds

Nassy

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 8, 9:07 am, Nassy wrote:
[...]

Some people here like the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 and it seems
to be within your price range. There is nothing remarkable about
Audigy-type sound cards for your application but its possible to get
good results with them if you only need two channels. It is not clear
why your Eridol hardware would not suffice for your requirements. You
might want to download the Rightmark sound-card evaluation software
and test it:

http://rightmark.org/

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
GeF GeF is offline

About sound cards try to avoid those for games such sound blaster or so on.
They are great but not really suited for music and what's more you'll not
find any asio drivers for them.
I am using for instance a presonus firebox but this is only an example.
try these link and you'll see by yourself
http://www.myspace.com/gefclan

good luck
Bye
Gerard

"Nassy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 06:07:18 -0700, Nassy
wrote:

[...]

Arange wireless networking on a USB "dongle". Then, when you're
recording, all you have to do is pull it out :-)

The memory scanner utility at www.crucial.com will tell you what
memory is installed and what your expansion options are. Highly
recommended.

An Audigy may suit you, particularly if you need an on-board hardware
MIDI synth. Otherwise, it's a poor choice. You certainly don't need
one of the expensive ones.

How many channels of in/out will you require? Many home studios only
require two of each, in which case you need a very good reason not to
install the ubiquitous M-Audio Audiophile 2496. If you don't want to
use an external mixer (though I suggest you do) you could look at one
of the USB or Firewire external units that offer microphone preamps
and basic mixing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Peter Kendell Peter Kendell is offline

"Laurence Payne" NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote in message

How many channels of in/out will you require? Many home studios only
require two of each, in which case you need a very good reason not to
install the ubiquitous M-Audio Audiophile 2496. If you don't want to
use an external mixer (though I suggest you do) you could look at one
of the USB or Firewire external units that offer microphone preamps
and basic mixing.

And if you want four channels the M-Audio Delta 44 is simple, clean,
inexpensive and you can put up to four of them in one box (if you've got
enough spare PCI slots).

An external mixer is a good idea for the flexibility it gives you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"Nassy" wrote in message
[...]

There are almost as many opinions about soundcards as there are soundcards. Since you
haven't given all your requirements, I'll toss out some things to consider.

Most sound cards have good fidelity. Even cheap ones, usually, though I'm gonna get flamed
real badly for having said that, but we don't need the rantings of the immature here. The
differences in the fancy SoundBlasters, etc. are in features, like 5.1 channel capability,
onboard DSP (effects, like reverb) and stuff. You probably don't need them. You'll
probably use software plugins for reverb (and equalizers and compressors, etc.) on a
per-track basis (or on a software mixing buss) in your production software (Cubase), so
forget the DSP.

If you'll need low latency, then you will probably not want to use a SoundBlaster (Audigy,
etc), unless they've improved their drivers. You'll need a low latency soundcard if you're
using software synths (as opposed to external MIDI-connected synths). The built-in MIDI
synths in the SoundBlasters don't require a low-latency setup -- they're like external
MIDI-connected synths, even though they're inside the soundcard. You may not like the way
those synths sound. You'll also need a low-latency soundard if you're using audio input
monitoring out of your production software. If you use an external audio mixer, then you
don't need to mess with input monitoring. For regular work with MIDI and/or audio tracks
with an external mixer, no soft-synths, latency doesn't matter.

If a soundcard doesn't have MIDI (and less do these days), then you can get a USB MIDI box,
like the MidiSport from Midiman. Two sets of MIDI in/out. Inexpensive, and works great.

The Delta 44 soundcard is a 4-in, 4-out basic soundcard that simply works. It was around
$200 a few years ago. I can't imagine needing to spend a lot more than that. It needs a
PCI slot. There are USB soundcards that others have mentioned too.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:32:51 GMT, "Earl Kiosterud"
wrote:

If you'll need low latency, then you will probably not want to use a SoundBlaster (Audigy,
etc), unless they've improved their drivers. You'll need a low latency soundcard if you're
using software synths (as opposed to external MIDI-connected synths). The built-in MIDI
synths in the SoundBlasters don't require a low-latency setup -- they're like external
MIDI-connected synths, even though they're inside the soundcard. You may not like the way
those synths sound. You'll also need a low-latency soundard if you're using audio input
monitoring out of your production software. If you use an external audio mixer, then you
don't need to mess with input monitoring. For regular work with MIDI and/or audio tracks
with an external mixer, no soft-synths, latency doesn't matter.

Note that "if you're using audio input monitoring out of your
production software" includes playing software synths from a MIDI
keyboard, if you want to hear the sound without delay as you record.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Earl Kiosterud wrote:
"Nassy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have just bought a new Intel computer (DELL) that I will be using to
record music on (due to be delivered this Friday). However it comes
with several parts missing: needs extra RAM, wireless network card
and a sound card. I will be using CUBASE (yet to purchase) as the
main recording software.

[...]
Most sound cards have good fidelity. Even cheap ones, usually, though I'm gonna get flamed
real badly for having said that, but we don't need the rantings of the immature here. The
differences in the fancy SoundBlasters, etc. are in features, like 5.1 channel capability,
onboard DSP (effects, like reverb) and stuff. You probably don't need them. You'll
probably use software plugins for reverb (and equalizers and compressors, etc.) on a
per-track basis (or on a software mixing buss) in your production software (Cubase), so
forget the DSP.

For that matter, I can't imagine any machine made in the last five years
that DOESN'T have a sound chipset built into the motherboard. This may
well be sufficient for what he's doing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase

"Matt Ion" wrote in message news:5VMOi.5251$1y4.2044@pd7urf2no...
Earl Kiosterud wrote:
"Nassy" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. Another good point. And the OP should start off with that soundcard, and go to a
better one only if it becomes necessary. The fidelity of that card will probably be just
fine, and can be easily tested. It's unlikely that there will be low-latency drivers
available for it, but so far there's nothing in his description pointing to the need for
that.

One possible problem with such a card is digital noise from the computer appearing in the
output. That can be fixable, at least in one case I saw, with a change in the ground lead
of the audio output connection.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase

wrote:

[...]

This is a good point. A software synth will play just fine with a high-latency soundcard
during playback, and should play in sync with your audio tracks and other MIDI synths
(MIDI-cable-connected or soundcard-internal). But while you're recording it, its sound will
be delayed by the long time of the high latency soundcard, an unusable setup.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Nassy Nassy is offline

wrote:

[...]

Earl Kiosterudwww.smokeylake.com- Hide quoted text -

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the replies. Having read
them I think I will see how I get along with the sound card the
computer comes with (very very basic) and the EDIROL UA-25 which I
bought for my old computer (which sadly fell apart). The EDIROL UA-25
has ok reviews and is meant to be good value. In the future if I want
to change to a set up with an external mixer then I would definitely
consider the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Spending hundreds on the top
of the range Audigy doesn't sound like a sensible idea given your
replies when a) I have an external USB soundcard and b) even if I
didn't the Audigy would be a bad choice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
LL LL is offline

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the replies. Having read
them I think I will see how I get along with the sound card the
computer comes with (very very basic) and the EDIROL UA-25 which I
bought for my old computer (which sadly fell apart). The EDIROL UA-25
has ok reviews and is meant to be good value. In the future if I want
to change to a set up with an external mixer then I would definitely
consider the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Spending hundreds on the top
of the range Audigy doesn't sound like a sensible idea given your
replies when a) I have an external USB soundcard and b) even if I
didn't the Audigy would be a bad choice.

I use an Edirol UA-25 and I love it - its basic but the results are
fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with these at all and there's
no reason why you can't use it with an external mixer if you need to.
Unlike some here, I prefer to do everything within the digital domain.
I can see why an external mixer and outboard gear would be necessary
for multiple ins and outs...say for recording a full band in a pro
studio environment...but its not a requirement for one musician
recording at home.

LL
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,alt.steinberg.cubase
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

For that matter, I can't imagine any machine made in the last five years that DOESN'T have
a sound chipset built into the motherboard. This may well be sufficient for what he's
doing.

Yes. Another good point. And the OP should start off with that soundcard, and go to a
better one only if it becomes necessary. The fidelity of that card will probably be just
fine, and can be easily tested. It's unlikely that there will be low-latency drivers
available for it, but so far there's nothing in his description pointing to the need for
that.

Exactly: there's nothing to lose by using the onboard sound to get
started, and upgrading later when or IF it becomes necessary.

One possible problem with such a card is digital noise from the computer appearing in the
output. That can be fixable, at least in one case I saw, with a change in the ground lead
of the audio output connection.

It's a possibility, though a slim one, in my experience. I got more
noise on the line and mic inputs of my SoundBlaster Extigy than I get
from my Asus A8V motherboard's onboard sound.

Only way to know for sure is to try it... like I said, nothing to lose
with simply trying the onboard sound first.