Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Emenaker Joe Emenaker is offline

Default Using different Core Audio devices for input and output in Logic Pro

I'm doing some work for a guy with Logic Pro on a Mac. He's got a MOTU
24io for recording lots of tracks all at once which he also uses for
output to his 5.1 monitors.

Problem is, he sometimes wants to turn off the monitors and just
listen on headphones. Right now, he'd have to either unplug all 6 of
the speaker cables or turn off all 6 of the powered speakers.
Solution? Well, the Mackie Onyx Satellite has 6 outs, a phones jack
(which listens to channels 1 and 2), a control-room knob that controls
the 6 outs *together*, and a phones knob. Perfect!

However... when selecting audio hardware in Logic, it seems that it
only lets you choose a single device for input AND output.... so I
can't select that I want output to go to the Onyx and the input to
still come from the ol' 24io.

Am I screwed, or is there a solution?

- Joe

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 8, 4:35 am, Joe Emenaker wrote:
I'm doing some work for a guy with Logic Pro on a Mac. He's got a MOTU
24io for recording lots of tracks all at once which he also uses for
output to his 5.1 monitors.

Problem is, he sometimes wants to turn off the monitors and just
listen on headphones. Right now, he'd have to either unplug all 6 of
the speaker cables or turn off all 6 of the powered speakers.
Solution? Well, the Mackie Onyx Satellite has 6 outs, a phones jack
(which listens to channels 1 and 2), a control-room knob that controls
the 6 outs *together*, and a phones knob. Perfect!

However... when selecting audio hardware in Logic, it seems that it
only lets you choose a single device for input AND output.... so I
can't select that I want output to go to the Onyx and the input to
still come from the ol' 24io.

Am I screwed, or is there a solution?

- Joe

have you used the audio midi setup ??
applicationsutilitiesaudio MIDI setupaudioAggregate Device Editor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hassan Davis Hassan  Davis is offline

[...]

Hi Joe.

Try the mixer/routing app that comes with the MOTU card.

Hassan

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 8, 5:13 am, wrote:

have you used the audio midi setup ??
applicationsutilitiesaudio MIDI setupaudioAggregate Device Editor

Oooooooh! THAT is a cool toy!!!!

That did the trick. Thanks!

Now, here's the only other question: I've found that the ADE lets me
change around the order of the devices. I would be in heaven if I
could make input #1 of the aggregate device be input #1 of the MOTU
and *output* #1 of the aggregate device be output #1 of the Mackie.
I'm betting that you can't adjust the order of the ins and outs
individually like that, but I figured I'd ask, just in case.

- Joe

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 9, 5:20 pm, Joe Emenaker wrote:
On Oct 8, 5:13 am, wrote:

have you used the audio midi setup ??
applicationsutilitiesaudio MIDI setupaudioAggregate Device Editor

Oooooooh! THAT is a cool toy!!!!

That did the trick. Thanks!

Now, here's the only other question: I've found that the ADE lets me
change around the order of the devices. I would be in heaven if I
could make input #1 of the aggregate device be input #1 of the MOTU
and *output* #1 of the aggregate device be output #1 of the Mackie.
I'm betting that you can't adjust the order of the ins and outs
individually like that, but I figured I'd ask, just in case.

- Joe

that trick is in Logic itself but I cannot remember where,
will look it up and ...