Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

Default new cd/dvd drive working but not working

Compaq 7000 , Windoze XP , existing cd -rom drive works (and works).
I put in a new Sony cd/dvd r/w drive , and I must have hooked up the
IDE cable
correctly because device manager tells me the device is working
properly, right?.

But it isn't WORKING ; nothing shows up in it, it doesn't read or run
any cd's I
put into it. Troubleshooter suggests checking compatability but if
it's there and
"working properly" , wouldn't that pretty much say it's compatible?.
So... what?...

Update drivers?. Might it have something to do with how the two drives
are setup as slave or master. I don't even remember how I set those
up. Should the hard drive be master and both
the cd rom and cd r/rw drives be slave?. I may have set the old cd rom
to slave (or did I change it at all ?.... damn I must be getting
middle-aged!) and I'm relatively sure I set the new Sony to
master . Anyway ... help! (^:#

Dar

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Dar wrote in news:1191659161.066297.31960
@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Your computer has 2 IDE controller cables. Attach 1 to your hard drive
(s). Attach the other to your CD writers. The one on the end of the
cable is the master, the one attaching in the middle of the cable is the
slave.

Master/slave jumpers are on the back next to the IDE cable, the settings
are usually printed on the top of the drive.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:54:11 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

Your computer has 2 IDE controller cables. Attach 1 to your hard drive
(s). Attach the other to your CD writers. The one on the end of the
cable is the master, the one attaching in the middle of the cable is the
slave.

Master/slave jumpers are on the back next to the IDE cable, the settings
are usually printed on the top of the drive.

If they're 80-way cables with dedicated master and slave connectors
both devices should be jumpered as CS (cable select). If they're the
older 40-way cables jumper the devices as master and slave, either
connector will do for either.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

wrote:

Your computer has 2 IDE controller cables. Attach 1 to your hard drive
(s). Attach the other to your CD writers. The one on the end of the
cable is the master, the one attaching in the middle of the cable is the
slave.

Master/slave jumpers are on the back next to the IDE cable, the settings
are usually printed on the top of the drive.

If they're 80-way cables with dedicated master and slave connectors
both devices should be jumpered as CS (cable select). If they're the
older 40-way cables jumper the devices as master and slave, either
connector will do for either.

Oh I thought I'd deleted this ... I found out that the drive isn't
compatible with XP .
It seems it's just a hair too new , and the comp too old . Not on the
XP compatible list )^:

I got a new used plain old
cd rw drive for $30 and it works fine ... uh well except that the door
has to be
opened manually half the time . At least it's easy to swap them out
now , so back
to the store on Monday . It was odd how device manger said the dvd
drive was "working properly"
but it didn't actually DO anything (^:# .

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

Your computer has 2 IDE controller cables. Attach 1 to your hard drive
(s). Attach the other to your CD writers. The one on the end of the
cable is the master, the one attaching in the middle of the cable is the
slave.
Master/slave jumpers are on the back next to the IDE cable, the settings
are usually printed on the top of the drive.

If they're 80-way cables with dedicated master and slave connectors
both devices should be jumpered as CS (cable select). If they're the
older 40-way cables jumper the devices as master and slave, either
connector will do for either.

Oh I thought I'd deleted this ... I found out that the drive isn't
compatible with XP .
It seems it's just a hair too new , and the comp too old . Not on the
XP compatible list )^:

Horsehockey. ATA optical drive interface technology hasn't changed in a
dozen years. If it's connected properly and won't read discs, then
there's something wrong with the drive, period.

I got a new used plain old
cd rw drive for $30 and it works fine ... uh well except that the door
has to be
opened manually half the time . At least it's easy to swap them out
now , so back
to the store on Monday . It was odd how device manger said the dvd
drive was "working properly"
but it didn't actually DO anything (^:# .

All Windows knows from that is that the INTERFACE is working properly.
There could a problem with the spindle motor, the laser assembly, or a
good portion of the internal electronics of the drive, and Windows would
have no way of knowing the difference. In fact, I have a drive here
that doesn't spin the disc up at all, and Windows thinks that "the
device is working properly".

$30 for an old CD-RW is a ripoff. Brand new super-multi-everything
CD/DVD-RAM/RW/+R/-R/DL drives can be had for $30.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

wrote:

[...]

CD/DVD-RAM/RW/+R/-R/DL drives can be had for $30.- Hide quoted text -

The documentation with the drive states minimum system requirements
and
the old box is on the borderline of that , and why would the online
info from the
drive's maker state that it isn't compatible (or , actually, leave it
off of the
compatability list) ? . It "should work" anyway, since the docs say
XP sp2
is ok, but the requirement of DMA capability ... I don't know if my
box has that,
so maybe it doesn't and that's the problem ?. Is all that hockey?.
I'm not arguing,
I'm just asking . I DID hook it up properly and it doesn't work, and
the new/used
one is stupid, so I need another one anyway....

DS

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:07:08 -0000, Dar wrote:

The documentation with the drive states minimum system requirements
and
the old box is on the borderline of that , and why would the online
info from the
drive's maker state that it isn't compatible (or , actually, leave it
off of the
compatability list) ? . It "should work" anyway, since the docs say
XP sp2
is ok, but the requirement of DMA capability ... I don't know if my
box has that,
so maybe it doesn't and that's the problem ?. Is all that hockey?.
I'm not arguing,
I'm just asking . I DID hook it up properly and it doesn't work, and
the new/used
one is stupid, so I need another one anyway....

You're on the wrong track here. There are no CD/DVD devices available
that are "too new" for Windows XP or a motherboard capable of running
XP.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
[...]

It SHOULD work without DMA (it's easy to find out if your box supports
it - look in the BIOS, or go into the Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI
Controllers - Primary or Secondary IDE Channel - Properties -
Advanced Settings), but will likely have issues with transfer speeds,
especially when reading DVDs, if DMA isn't supported or enabled.
"Minimum requirements" hardly ever refer to what's necessary to for
something to WORK... only what's necessary for it to work REASONABLY WELL.

Your issues are irrelevant to the operating system - a bootable DOS CD
will load off it; the basic DOS ATAPI drivers will recognize the drive
and allow you to access it.

The problem here sounds like a defective drive, plain and simple. It
MIGHT be an improper master/slave setup with another drive, but normally
that will result in neither being recognized in the BIOS or the OS.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

wrote:
[...]

that will result in neither being recognized in the BIOS or the OS.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah it's defective: I put in in my new modern computer and it kept
opening the
drawer and asking me to insert a disc , and that's ALL it would do,
disc or no ,
and since I DOH !!!-n't have the reciept I had a little moment of
frustration and
now it doesn't have a drawer at all (^:# . Thanks for the info ,
folks !.
(that feels better ... )

DS