Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Banton Tom Banton is offline

Default altering voice gender

Hello,

I am doing a research project in which I need to take a spoken voice clip
and alter the apparent gender of the voice. Basically, I want identical
inflections, volume level, etc. from a male and a female speaker. Does
anyone have recommendations on how to achieve this in a believable way? I am
open to either hardware or software solutions for altering voices.

I've lurked here for awhile and appreciate the wisdom of this group
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Tom Banton

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:22:16 -0400, "Tom Banton"
wrote:

Hello,

I am doing a research project in which I need to take a spoken voice clip
and alter the apparent gender of the voice. Basically, I want identical
inflections, volume level, etc. from a male and a female speaker. Does
anyone have recommendations on how to achieve this in a believable way? I am
open to either hardware or software solutions for altering voices.

I've lurked here for awhile and appreciate the wisdom of this group
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Tom Banton

Probably the nearest you are going to get is with something like
Melodyne, which offers control of timing, level and formants.

Still ain't gonna work though.

Are these two people trying to sound alike, or are you trying to match
up two normal voices?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Oct 4, 8:22 am, "Tom Banton" wrote:
Hello,

I am doing a research project in which I need to take a spoken voice clip
and alter the apparent gender of the voice. Basically, I want identical
inflections, volume level, etc. from a male and a female speaker. Does
anyone have recommendations on how to achieve this in a believable way? I am
open to either hardware or software solutions for altering voices.

I've lurked here for awhile and appreciate the wisdom of this group
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Tom Banton

Eventide DSP4000, 7000, 8000 etc using combination of pitchshifts and
time stretching / shrinking as necessary to create a gender bender.
Works for casual listening. Experienced ears listening critically
won't be fooled.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I am doing a research project in which I need to take a spoken voice clip
and alter the apparent gender of the voice. Basically, I want identical
inflections, volume level, etc. from a male and a female speaker. Does
anyone have recommendations on how to achieve this in a believable way? I am
open to either hardware or software solutions for altering voices.

Hire two actors. I realise this will introduce small differences in
inflexion etc. But if you're after what I think you are, it's more
important that your subjects hear a man and a woman, not a man and a
robot.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Hi Tom,

search for a program or software plugin, that is a) a Pitch Shifter
(changing the pitch without changing the speed), and that can b)
manipulate the formants. Google for formant shifter or pitch spectrum
shifter, on the first page there are some links to free plugins, don't
know how good they are though.
If you are on the research side, you could try out Praat if you haven't
done that yet: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat

Cheers,

Boris

--