Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] info@mellowyellow.it is offline

Default recording a bass amp

Hi from Italy,
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?
I think no, because the amp lacks of load.
It's possible to "load" the head without a cab, so to say a sort of
device connected to the power out of the head.
I wish to record the sound of the power amp of the head without the
cab. When the track will be ok I'll do the reamp.
Many thanks for every reply.
Roberto

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?

Yes.

I think no, because the amp lacks of load.

That's why you put a dummy load on. Any resistive 8 ohm load will do
if it can handle the power.

It's possible to "load" the head without a cab, so to say a sort of
device connected to the power out of the head.
I wish to record the sound of the power amp of the head without the
cab. When the track will be ok I'll do the reamp.

Why even bother with the head, then? If you are going to reamp, you can
just record the output of the bass itself with the DI.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Oct 3, 7:40 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?

Why even bother with the head, then? If you are going to reamp, you can
just record the output of the bass itself with the DI.

The DI is built into the amp head, so the amp must be powered to use
the DI.
I am presuming that the OP desires some of the sound that he gets from
the amp head in his recording, so in that case he must power the amp.

Some amps have preamp out/power amp in jacks. If this is the case he
can merely bypass the power amp. Otherwise, use a resistive load. One
really cheap way of doing this is to gut an old toaster and use the
coils from it for the resistor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 2, 6:05 pm, wrote:
Hi from Italy,
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?
I think no, because the amp lacks of load.
It's possible to "load" the head without a cab, so to say a sort of
device connected to the power out of the head.
I wish to record the sound of the power amp of the head without the
cab. When the track will be ok I'll do the reamp.
Many thanks for every reply.
Roberto

You could use one of these, the THD Hotplate http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

-Neb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 4, 3:44 am, nebulax wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:05 pm, wrote:

Hi from Italy,
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?
I think no, because the amp lacks of load.
It's possible to "load" the head without a cab, so to say a sort of
device connected to the power out of the head.
I wish to record the sound of the power amp of the head without the
cab. When the track will be ok I'll do the reamp.
Many thanks for every reply.
Roberto

You could use one of these, the THD Hotplatehttp://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

-Neb

Ooops... it's for tube amps only.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] info@mellowyellow.it is offline

Oops,
my question contains a mistake.
I don't want to record the power amp section of the head. To record in
this way I know that I have to use a DI and connect the speaker out to
the DI and return the connection from the DI to the speaker, while via
an XLR the signal goes to the audio card of the computer. (I'm doing
this with a little fender Champ 400 and a Red Box)
I wish to use the DI out of the head that is, in my Mesa Boogie
Walkabout design, volume master depending.
So the mistake, but the problem remains the same, because if I take
the signal from the DI out and set the DI out volume this is dependent
from the volume master, so if I want a decent amount the volume in the
DI out I have to increase the volume master too.
If the DI volume could be independent I'll leave the master volume to
zero, and the power amp could be loaded with a cab but without any
sound emitted by the same cab.
I hope to have cleared myproblem.
mmhm this time I fear that my english is very very little.
Thanks
Roberto

wrote:
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?

Why even bother with the head, then? If you are going to reamp, you can
just record the output of the bass itself with the DI.

The DI is built into the amp head, so the amp must be powered to use
the DI.
I am presuming that the OP desires some of the sound that he gets from
the amp head in his recording, so in that case he must power the amp.

Some amps have preamp out/power amp in jacks. If this is the case he
can merely bypass the power amp. Otherwise, use a resistive load. One
really cheap way of doing this is to gut an old toaster and use the
coils from it for the resistor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
nebulax wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:44 am, nebulax wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:05 pm, wrote:

Hi from Italy,
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?
I think no, because the amp lacks of load.
It's possible to "load" the head without a cab, so to say a sort of
device connected to the power out of the head.
I wish to record the sound of the power amp of the head without the
cab. When the track will be ok I'll do the reamp.
Many thanks for every reply.
Roberto

You could use one of these, the THD Hotplatehttp://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

Ooops... it's for tube amps only.

Nope, it'll work fine on any amp. However, on a transistor amp you can
run it unloaded safely. (With the exception of a few transformer-output
transistor amps which need a load.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

wrote:
I'm sorry in advance for my little question.
If I wish to record my electric bass via the DI Out of my amp (a Mesa
Boogie Walkabout and an Aguilar cab), can I do that without connecting
a cab to the head ?

Why even bother with the head, then? If you are going to reamp, you can
just record the output of the bass itself with the DI.

The DI is built into the amp head, so the amp must be powered to use
the DI.
I am presuming that the OP desires some of the sound that he gets from
the amp head in his recording, so in that case he must power the amp.

Some amps have preamp out/power amp in jacks. If this is the case he
can merely bypass the power amp. Otherwise, use a resistive load. One
really cheap way of doing this is to gut an old toaster and use the
coils from it for the resistor

If you're going to reamp, go buy a decent DI box, like a Countryman 85
and bypass the amp/preamp stage all together. Then you can reamp a
clean bass signal and make it what you want in the rerecording
process.

--Fletch