Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default [Sound clips] Treated vs. Non-treated Room, Piano Recording

I set up an experiment last night to compare recording my piano in a treated
versus non treated room. Nothing was changed between these two clips except
that I dragged about (15) 4"-thick fiberglass panels from my control room
and set them up in the living room where the piano resides. All but three
were set up straddling corners, the three covered the wall adjacent to the
piano. Here are the results for anyone interested:

No treatment: http://www.davegrant.ca/no%20treatment%20clip.mp3

With treatment: http://www.davegrant.ca/treatment%20clip.mp3

Appologies for the poor performance, if I'd had more time I'd have gotten
something better in that regard. There's fairly big improvement with
treatment although at the cost of ambience (I suspect I'd do well to cover
the bass trap panel fronts with aluminum or something similar)

Stereo pair used is Soundelux U95 in ORTF about 4' from the center of the
soundboard at about 5' off the floor.

As you can probably ascertain from the poor tonal balance of even the
treated clip, the mic positioning isn't worked out. I'm a one man show and
only have enough 4" panels for one room at a time meaning I have to record,
move panels to control room, playback recording, move panels back to living
room, move mics, record, rinse and repeat. It's a good workout especially
since there's a flight of stairs between the two rooms!