Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Skipper Dave Skipper is offline

Default Zoom H2 and Windows98SE

Hi All

I'm wondering if anybody has experience or knows where to look for a
possible work around to use the H2 with Windows98SE.

The unit's really cool so far...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 24, 11:41 am, Dave Skipper wrote:

I'm wondering if anybody has experience or knows where to look for a
possible work around to use the H2 with Windows98SE.

You should have asked a few weeks ago when I had one here. It never
occurred to me to try to connect it up to my studio computer which has
Win98SE on it.

I take it you've tried and failed? What does it do or not? Does it
work as a disk drive? Is it the USB microphone function that you're
trying to use and that's not working?

I upgraded to SE because that had decent support for USB, and I use
USB flash memory sticks with it all the time. I would have expected
the H2 to work, at least for moving files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On Sep 24, 11:41 am, Dave Skipper wrote:

I'm wondering if anybody has experience or knows where to look for a
possible work around to use the H2 with Windows98SE.

You should have asked a few weeks ago when I had one here. It never
occurred to me to try to connect it up to my studio computer which has
Win98SE on it.

I take it you've tried and failed? What does it do or not? Does it
work as a disk drive? Is it the USB microphone function that you're
trying to use and that's not working?

I upgraded to SE because that had decent support for USB, and I use
USB flash memory sticks with it all the time. I would have expected
the H2 to work, at least for moving files.

I should have taken a close look but I assumed the upload to my HD would
be a snap - WIN98SE notwithstanding.

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially, I got
new hardware detected but after going through the dialog boxs, it
couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing at all that time.

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially, I got
new hardware detected but after going through the dialog boxs, it
couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing at all that time.

Was there a driver CD with the unit? Usually that should be loaded
before plugging in the device. I don't remember whether there
was one in the box when I got mine. I was a bit surprised when
my Linux box (no os wars please) just saw the unit as a mounted
drive.

If you still have problems, consider a usb media reader. They cost
around $10, and will be a little less convenient, and far less nifty, but
you will be able to shuttle your data across just as quickly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 24, 3:22 pm, Tobiah wrote:

Was there a driver CD with the unit?

The H2 uses generic Windows drivers, the bulk mass storage device for
accessing files and the USB audio device for using the microphone and
preamp directly to a DAW via the USB port.

They didn't have USB audio devices when Win98SE was still being
supported, but they did have mass storage drives.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 24, 1:30 pm, Dave Skipper wrote:

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially, I got
new hardware detected but after going through the dialog boxs, it
couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing at all that time.

Did you look in "My Computer" with the H2 plugged in to the USB port
to see if you had an extra disk drive there?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:30 pm, Dave Skipper wrote:

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially, I got
new hardware detected but after going through the dialog boxs, it
couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing at all that time.

Did you look in "My Computer" with the H2 plugged in to the USB port
to see if you had an extra disk drive there?

I just tried it again and I see no indication of an external HD in My
Computer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Sep 24, 8:37 pm, Dave Skipper wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:30 pm, Dave Skipper wrote:

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially, I got
new hardware detected but after going through the dialog boxs, it
couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing at all that time.

Did you look in "My Computer" with the H2 plugged in to the USB port
to see if you had an extra disk drive there?

I just tried it again and I see no indication of an external HD in My
Computer.

You most likely need one or more USB patches for 98SE.

If you're serious about maintaining a 98SE machine there are several
decent sites with
information and links to downloads of the patches you need.

Here's 2:

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

http://www.msfn.org/board/forums.html

I applied several of the patches to my 98SE PC, and USB functions as
it should.

rd
good luck

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dave Skipper wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 24, 1:30 pm, Dave Skipper wrote:

So far, all I've tried is the USB connection to my HD. Initially,
I got new hardware detected but after going through the dialog
boxs, it couldn't "find anything". I tried again but got nothing
at all that time.

Did you look in "My Computer" with the H2 plugged in to the USB port
to see if you had an extra disk drive there?

I just tried it again and I see no indication of an external HD in My
Computer.

Well maybe time to join the real world and upgarde to XP. Yes, it *is* an
upgrade.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

My USB ports do indeed work as I have upgraded that way. My computer
looks to find the new hardware but doesn't and I can't upload then.

I did try it on an XP computer and it worked flawlessly.

I'll take a look at the links. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

On Sep 24, 12:18 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:41 am, Dave Skipper wrote:

I'm wondering if anybody has experience or knows where to look for a

Mike

I know we both have been looking a long time for a good Portable Nomad
type recorder& I've followed your posts.
I finnaly bit ( bought the H2) and I like it so far. Have you written
this one off too ?

Kevin T

possible work around to use the H2 with Windows98SE.

You should have asked a few weeks ago when I had one here. It never
occurred to me to try to connect it up to my studio computer which has
Win98SE on it.

I take it you've tried and failed? What does it do or not? Does it
work as a disk drive? Is it the USB microphone function that you're
trying to use and that's not working?

I upgraded to SE because that had decent support for USB, and I use
USB flash memory sticks with it all the time. I would have expected
the H2 to work, at least for moving files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 26, 9:28 am, Kevin T wrote:

I know we both have been looking a long time for a good Portable Nomad
type recorder& I've followed your posts.
I finnaly bit ( bought the H2) and I like it so far. Have you written
this one off too ?

Actually, I wrote something on it (a second opinion to a review). I
rather liked it for what it is, but it's not a replacement for the
Jukebox because of the limited (presently by capacity and cost) total
recording time. I'd carry one in my guitar case for making casual
recordings of jam sessions or for grabbing a tune for learning
purposes. It felt pretty solid, was reasonably easy to use, and didn't
crash on me during the week I had it around.

I'm waiting to see what the new M-Audio MicroTrack II actually turns
out to be. PAR did a "preview" (a review from the literature without
actually seeing the real product) and I'd like to see what "...can now
finally record to the new generaton of micro drives via the USB port"
means in practice. My concept of a "micro drive" is a disk drive in
the same form factor as a memory card, which of course doesn't use the
USB port.

But if I can connect a disk drive in a USB case (presumably using
external power) to the USB port and record all day, I'll take it. That
would give me the best of both worlds - plenty of recording time for
those all-weekend gigs and the convenience of an internal memory card
for casual work. But I don't know if it can actually do this. I guess
we'll find out at the AES show.

I just got the Zoom H2 [email protected] Pro Audio 25 September 17th 07 10:39 PM
Zoom h2 specs GPG[_2_] Pro Audio 1 September 13th 07 11:32 PM
Zoom Hx & what mic for piano? Melodious Thunk[_2_] Pro Audio 3 September 13th 07 01:54 AM
ZOOM 9 vs. Zoom 7.???? SSMusic[_2_] Pro Audio 0 May 28th 07 06:57 PM
ZOOM 1126MRS CD Martin0028 Pro Audio 0 July 1st 03 02:53 AM