Pugnut99

Default OK..WHAT Hardware Pieces Do I Need?

I want to assemble my 1st ever DAW. I have a single processor 933Mhz G4, 2 flat
panel displays and let's say, either DP4 or Logic 6 software, (cannot decide
which.)
Now...would some of you nice audio pros suggest exactly what other hardware
pieces I will need?

Audio interface? With built in mic pres?
Sound card?
Midi timepiece?
High end end stand-alone single channel or stereo mic pres?

I know that I must need any or all of the above. I just don't know EXACTLY what
pieces I need to get me going, for pro quality demos/jingles/masters. I am not
talking about certain name brand units, just the basic names of the other stuff
I will need.
H E L P a digital dummy P L E A S E !
Thanks

DJ

1. Have you given any thought to your tracking environment? How many sources
will you need to track at once, what instruments will be playing
simultaneously, do you need to achieve isolation and if so, to what degree?

2. Will you be needing an extensive cue system so that many players can all
simultaneously have a separate headphone mix?

3. Do you have a separate control room or will you be tracking in the
control room? If so, do you have an enclosure for your computer to keep the
mechanical noise out of your signal?

4. Have you analyzed your mix room and given any thought to acoustic
treatments to compensate for the possible resonant problems?

5. Have you given any thought to an accurate reference monitoring system to
use in your control room?

You can have the best gear in the world but if you don't have decent
tracking and mix environment to give you and accurate overall picture of
what you have tracked, it will be difficult to make the critical decisions
you will need to make when you have to bring it all together. IMO, you
should make sure these issues are addressed before you address outboard gear
purchases. Once that is done, if vocals and acoustic instruments are to be
used then start with mic selection, then your outboard preamps/comps/signal
processors, etc. You can spend as much money as you want. No problem. It's
fun.

;-)

DJ

Pugnut99 wrote in message
[...]

DrBoom

(Pugnut99) wrote in message ...
I want to assemble my 1st ever DAW. I have a single processor 933Mhz G4, 2 flat
panel displays and let's say, either DP4 or Logic 6 software, (cannot decide
which.)
Now...would some of you nice audio pros suggest exactly what other hardware
pieces I will need?

Audio interface? With built in mic pres?
Sound card?
Midi timepiece?
High end end stand-alone single channel or stereo mic pres?

I know that I must need any or all of the above. I just don't know EXACTLY what
pieces I need to get me going, for pro quality demos/jingles/masters. I am not
talking about certain name brand units, just the basic names of the other stuff
I will need.
H E L P a digital dummy P L E A S E !
Thanks

No answers, just more questions:

Will you be recording acoustic sources like, say, announcers?
If so, do they have to sound good?
Do you have a lot of room for all this stuff, or does it need to be compact?
Do you need to do location recordings?
Will you need to record more than a couple of tracks at a time?
Do you already have a lot of gear that needs to talk to the new stuff?
Who is your intended market? TV? Radio? Feral cats?
Will you need someone to keep it all running for you?
Can you afford the time to learn a completely new way to work?
Do you have a day job while you get a handle on all this?
Will you need to impress others with blinkenlights?

.... and the all-important question: what's your budget?

-DrBoom
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I want to assemble my 1st ever DAW.

Why?

I don't mean why do you want a DAW, I mean what do you intend to
do with it? How much background experience do you have, and how long
do you think you'll continue to be interested in it? Are you intending
to open a studio? Are you a duffer who just wants to hear a fancier
version of your music? Are you a commercial songwriter? Are you
looking for a label deal? Are you planning to record a band, or are
you a one man band? Do you sing? Are you a good carpenter? Can you
solder? Do you understand Ohm's and Kirchoff's laws?

Now...would some of you nice audio pros suggest exactly what other hardware
pieces I will need?

Audio interface? With built in mic pres?
Sound card?
Midi timepiece?
High end end stand-alone single channel or stereo mic pres?

Any and all of the above, depending on your short and long term goals.
How about microphones, speakers, headphones, cables, a table to put it
all on, acoustical treatment?

I know that I must need any or all of the above. I just don't know EXACTLY what
pieces I need to get me going, for pro quality demos/jingles/masters.

Why don't you ask your potential customers what they want to hear?

H E L P a digital dummy P L E A S E !

Visit a music store first. Spend an hour or two. Ask the salesman
questions and take notes. Then ask if what he wants to sell you makes
sense or if he's just looking at a sucker and wanting to make a good
spiff.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I am a long time home writer/recorder. I have been syncing midi to 1/2" 16trk
tape via SMPTE. And utilized virtual tracks by running drums and keys through
the mixer and direct to the master when I mixed.

So with a good sounding and smooth working system like this, why do
you want to complicate your life and switch to digital? Looking for
new adventure in your golden years? g

At this point the stuff is just for my own
self-expression, but I want to be able to record quality stuff that could be
released or used in TV or radio production if needed.

There's no reason why what you're recording on your present 16-track
system can't pass muster for TV or radio production. Clean the heads
(or get new ones) and press on.

Money IS and object, but I am prepared to get whatever I need to get great
sounds.

Aren't you getting great sounds now? If not, what's not great? While I
know that the numbers on paper look better, it's hard to believe that
someone with the experience you claim would be losing the opportunity
to sell your work.

I think you should break into it slowly. Get yourself a good stereo
sound card - don't skimp - and a reasonable editing program, but don't
sell your 16-track analog recorder and (unidentified) mixer yet. Mix
to the computer, use it to edit, clean up your mixes, and assemble
CDs. Even if you buy a new computer for the purpose, you should be
well below $2,000. Then start adding to it as you learn more about how
it works and as your working style evolves toward using the computer.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Pugnut99

Default WHAT Hardware Pieces Do I Need? Long Reply Here

Man is it difficult for me to get a straight answer in here. Oh I know..its
ME...I am not asking the right questions.
Ok...let's say SOMEONE ELSE is trying to set up their 1st DAW. A good friend of
mine. He is an experienced analog home recorder, writer and musician. He has
gotten away from home recording for the last 5 or so years. He has a small
10'X15' untreated room and is not concerned with the actual room acoustics at
this juncture. He is pretty much a one-man-band. He writes, plays guitar, bass,
keys and has played with enough great drummers, that he can program drums very
well. He is not planning on having any outside "clients" at this point. He
wants to record just whatever he comes up with. I.E. pop songs, jingles, just
whatever. He is getting up there in years, but still feels his talent is valid
and feels the need to somehow, maybe share his material with others at some
point. He has some sort of semi-nice mics, some decent outboard stuff, Tannoy,
JBL and a token set of NS10 speakers and a 16X8 analog desk. He is not thrilled
about continuing to record onto tape and wants to learn how to record
digitally. He has a still-in-the-box Apple 933Mhz G4 and two Apple 17" flat
panel displays. For software he is planning on using either DP4, Logic 6, or
even Digi 002. He wants to sequence midi stuff within the software program.
Now my question is, beside the G4 and the software, what other hardware pieces
does he need to make high quality multi track recordings? A Lynx 2 soundcard
has been recommended. If he gets that, will he need some other sort of
interface? Or just a good quality stereo mic pre? He is interested in making
initial purchases that he can use for many years. (who isn't interested in
that?)
Any suggestions along these lines would be greatly appreciated by myself and my
friend.
Thanks
EggHd

If you get an 002 the "card" is the one that comes with the system.

If you go DP4, Motu has many cards that work well.

With the room you have it seems that a good midline card is the way to go with
the software you want. Y