Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Beware SoundForge8 Preset Manager

After having built up a large number of presets across several SoundForge tools for
many projects, I decided to dive in with the "Preset Manager" to archive and
organize those presets outside SF.

While not well documented, preset manager functionality seemed obvious: create a new
file; drag and drop selected presets from a preset list pane into the "new" pane;
save file when done.

It all seemed to work as implied by the GUI.

Here's the horrifying part: when I came back the next day for the next round
(another project's worth of presets to put into another archive file), the remaining
user presets for some of the tools WERE GONE!! Only system presets remained. I had
not deleted them, only those which had been moved to the new file pane were deleted.

SF uses a mishmash of registry and external file storage for its various active user
presets; it appears that the registry stores were the ones entirely wiped.

(Personally, I wish the hell they didn't store ANY user preset info in the
registry -- an external file collection would work sooo much better with
conventional backup and project archive strategies.)

I've not entirely qualified this problem yet and it's possible pilot error is
involved, but I don't think so. And surely a "Do you wish to erase all user
presets?" confirmation dialog box would have been nice. Sigh.

Maybe this was fixed in SF9, but between this an other gotchas (along with stability
problems that change with version to version but don't ever seem to get completely
fixed) I'm thinking it might be time to give up on SF.

Anyway, FWIW, be careful if you're planning to use the preset manager.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

.....snip..

--

Sound Forge 9.0 started with some major bugs. They are now up to
version 9.0c and there are still a bunch of bugs that need fixing.

There are still a few bugs that will crash the program and not save
the all the restore files.

There are also a lot of other oddities that can really screw with
your work flow.

I upgraded when it first came out and after three update/bug fixes
still feel like a beta tester.

Later...

Ron Capik

problems syncing up O1V96 with studio manager Mick G Pro Audio 1 April 7th 07 06:02 PM
Digital music manager - chapter 2 Mr_Bill Audio Opinions 2 February 1st 06 10:46 AM
digital music manager? Bill Tech 7 January 21st 06 12:45 AM
Preparing for an interview for product manager of car audio Jeff C Car Audio 0 June 19th 04 03:21 AM
Studio manager ? t fitzgerald Pro Audio 2 December 10th 03 06:41 AM