Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mission MR71 speakers -- wow

They just arrived, and I am mightily impressed. These are _not_ "insipid
little boxes". They're not only basically neutral, but they sound "big" --
not like dinky sound from tiny boxes.

The bass -- at least where I have them currently -- isn't so hot. It's a bit
heavy (particularly with voices) and not well-connected with the rest of the
spectrum.

My bedroom system (if you're interested) is the Lux (Luxman) LRS Laboratory
Reference Series. This includes the classic 5T50 digital tuner. It includes
an excellent graphic equalizer and a very clever set of tone controls (which
has separate settings for mid-bass heaviness), so I expect I'll be able to
tweak the MR71s for slightly better sound.

Thanks so very much to the Dakmart "shill" grin who recommended them.
They're rather better than he claimed.

By the way, I called Dakmart for customer service before buying them, and
spoke with a witty, sharp, friendly guy. I'd buy from them again. (shill,
shill!)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

They just arrived, and I am mightily impressed. These are _not_ "insipid
little boxes". They're not only basically neutral, but they sound "big" --
not like dinky sound from tiny boxes.

By the way, I called Dakmart for customer service before buying them, and
spoke with a witty, sharp, friendly guy. I'd buy from them again. (shill,
shill!)

"And I don't work for them." : )
Posted to rec.audio.pro

By the way, I called Dakmart for customer service before buying,
and spoke with a witty, sharp, friendly guy. I'd buy from them
again. (shill, shill!)

"And I don't work for them." : )

No, I don't. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Since the original post, I shoved the two supplied foam plugs into the rear
ports, which removed some of the boom/thickness. I then set the 55Hz and
110Hz sliders on the Lux 5G12 equalizer to +8 and +4, respectively, with the
Q of each at "wide". That brought the bass into balance with the rest of the
spectrum.

The Lux system includes an LED peak-reading meter. Even at fairly high
levels (for classical), the peak power is about 5 watts. With the volume at
moderate-to-background levels, the peak level doesn't even hit 20mW!

I haven't used the Lux equipment in over 20 years. I was pleasantly
surprised at the really useful features on the preamp. For example, the Mute
control has adjustable attenuation. And then there's the Linear Equalizer,
which ought to be on every control center -- it simply "tilts" the spectrum
a skosh. It's useful with a lot of slightly out of balance recordings.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tonehenge" wrote in message

Glad you like them... and again, for the last time, I'm not a shill...
who is Dakmart?

I know you're not. Why do you think I put grin next to the remark?

Dakmart is the company that bought and sold the overstock on eBay. They have
no connection with Drew Allan Kaplan, the other DAK.

Since I posted, I've spent more time listening, and am impressed. Small
speakers have gotten awfully good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tonehenge[_3_] Tonehenge[_3_] is offline

I'm starting to think I'm simply percieved as humourless...
I just scored an HK725 preamp and a matching hk770 power amp to use with my
Mission M71's....this playback system is utterly transparent...

"Tonehenge" wrote in message

Glad you like them... and again, for the last time, I'm not a shill...
who is Dakmart?

I know you're not. Why do you think I put grin next to the remark?

Dakmart is the company that bought and sold the overstock on eBay. They
have
no connection with Drew Allan Kaplan, the other DAK.

Since I posted, I've spent more time listening, and am impressed. Small
speakers have gotten awfully good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tonehenge wrote:

I'm starting to think I'm simply percieved as humourless...
I just scored an HK725 preamp and a matching hk770 power amp to use
with my Mission M71's....this playback system is utterly
transparent...

Why a preamp if your aim is transparency?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

Tonehenge wrote:

I'm starting to think I'm simply percieved as humourless...
I just scored an HK725 preamp and a matching hk770 power amp to use
with my Mission M71's....this playback system is utterly
transparent...

Why a preamp if your aim is transparency?

Control and routing, maybe LP's in play, too?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

FA: Pr. 1977 vintage MISSION 717 Speakers - cherry veneer North Lake Audio Marketplace 1 September 25th 06 06:52 AM
WTB: McIntosh MR71 seta45 Vacuum Tubes 0 April 4th 04 05:56 AM
FA: Mission 780 Bookshelf Speakers Black - NEW steveo Marketplace 0 December 15th 03 10:17 AM
FS: McIntosh MR71 Jerry H Marketplace 0 November 20th 03 10:54 PM
McIntosh MR67 or MR71? Tim Britt High End Audio 1 November 5th 03 05:53 AM