Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
tg tg is offline

Default seeking audio adaptor mini xlr - jack

Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

tg wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

What's normally on the end of the lead rather than a 1/4" jack ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 20, 6:45 am, "tg" wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.

Generally this is the sort of thing that you can't buy off the shelf.
You can make one yourself if you have the skill, time, and
perseverance to find the parts, or you can get one made by someone who
does that sort of work on a routine basis.

Are there any powering considerations? Mini XLRs are usually used on
mics that are intended to connect a mic to either a powering adapter
or wireless transmitter. If the photo you posted is of the mic you
have, it looks like it's a Shure MX184 which has a power adapter with
a belt clip. You need that piece, and it has a standard XLR connector
on its output side. XLR-1/4" TRS cables are common. Best thing, unless
you know more about this mic than you're letting on, is to talk with a
good Shure dealer or contact the company directly. It's not really
clear from the quick info I found on their web site exactly how this
mic is supposed to be connected. There seem to be a couple of
different approaches.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:45:18 +0100, "tg"
wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Try Switchcraft:

http://www.switchcraft.com/

--
JF
Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc

"tg" wrote ...
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

You will need a custom-made adapter that will take
the phantom power supplied by the MicroTrack and
convert it to the voltage required by the microphone.
AFAIK, this is not available as a commercial item,
although is it not rocket-surgery.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"tg" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure
lavalier mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack
socket on an m-audio microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll
make an adpator if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready
made one. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure that a passive solution is possible. Offhand, the Microtrack
probably supplies only a volt or two of bias, while the Shure lavs require
about 12 volts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"tg" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure
lavalier mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack
socket on an m-audio microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll
make an adpator if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready
made one. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure that a passive solution is possible.
Offhand, the Microtrack probably supplies only a volt or
two of bias, while the Shure lavs require about 12 volts.

Of course since the Microtrack provides phantom power, the Shure RPM 628
will bridge the gap.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...RPM628_content

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 20, 8:48 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

I'm not sure that a passive solution is possible. Offhand, the Microtrack
probably supplies only a volt or two of bias, while the Shure lavs require
about 12 volts.

Actually, the MicroTrack provides 30V of real phantom power on 1/4"
TRS jacks. But it's not clear from the few PDFs I found on the Shure
web site whether there's anything inside the tube with a mini XLR jack
on one end and standard sized XLR plug on the other that's pictured
with the mic. If he has that part, he has all he needs except an XLR-
TRS cable. If he doesn't, he might be out of luck until he gets one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mike --------------------+---------------]|---------- to preamp
| 10 uF unbalanced in
\
/
\ 2.2K ohms

---
- 9V battery

gnd --------------------+---------------------------- gnd

I don't offhand know which polarity the battery needs to be. I believe
with the Shure mikes they need to have positive power.

Before doing this, first make sure the 1/4" input has enough gain in the
first place to deal with a mike level signal.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 20, 8:48 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

I'm not sure that a passive solution is possible. Offhand, the Microtrack
probably supplies only a volt or two of bias, while the Shure lavs require
about 12 volts.

Actually, the MicroTrack provides 30V of real phantom power on 1/4"
TRS jacks.

That's bad news. Phantom on 1/4" jacks is not a good idea.

But it's not clear from the few PDFs I found on the Shure
web site whether there's anything inside the tube with a mini XLR jack
on one end and standard sized XLR plug on the other that's pictured
with the mic. If he has that part, he has all he needs except an XLR-
TRS cable. If he doesn't, he might be out of luck until he gets one.

There is some electronics inside there. I can't talk about what it
is but it's a passive RC network that provides about 12V of differential
power to the capsule, given 48V of common mode power coming in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com
On Sep 20, 8:48 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

I'm not sure that a passive solution is possible.
Offhand, the Microtrack probably supplies only a volt or
two of bias, while the Shure lavs require about 12 volts.

Actually, the MicroTrack provides 30V of real phantom
power on 1/4" TRS jacks. But it's not clear from the few
PDFs I found on the Shure web site whether there's
anything inside the tube with a mini XLR jack on one end
and standard sized XLR plug on the other that's pictured
with the mic.

Scott nailed it - its an unbalanced-to-balanced converter for the capsule
audio, plus phantom-to-12 volt polarizing supply, all in one.

The Shure part number is RPM 628 and its about $80 special order at B&H.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

Scott nailed it - its an unbalanced-to-balanced converter for the capsule
audio, plus phantom-to-12 volt polarizing supply, all in one.

The Shure part number is RPM 628 and its about $80 special order at B&H.

Well.... it doesn't REALLY balance it... the drive is very asymmetric.
But it's close enough to work.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc

"tg" wrote ...
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator if
I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

You have ~30V available out of the 1/4-inch connectors
on the MT2496. You need to establish exactly what is
the pinout and power requirements for your microphone.

The required circuit is *SOMETHING LIKE* this one...
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/phantom/p48t122.jpg
which converts P48 phantom to 12V. A similar circuit
can be used to produce whatever voltage your mic
wants, and to route the power, signal, gnd, etc. as
needed.

NOTE THAT THE CIRCUIT CITED IS *NOT* EXACTLY
WHAT YOU NEED. Without the exact details of your
mic, a precise answer is not possible. Do you have
the complete model number of the microphone? Do
you have the wiring diagram and/or pinout of the mic
connector?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
No Name

"tg" wrote in message
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator if
I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Use an ordinary XLR-XLR mike cable, and put an adapter from female XLR to
male 1/4" TRS plug. The latter can be obtained from www.mcmelectronics.com
as part number 27-4140.

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

tg wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Is this it?

Ebay Item number: 120162286447

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc

"Tobiah" wrote ...
tg wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator if
I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Is this it?
Ebay Item number: 120162286447

That would be the right connector if it were male.
(Obvious lesbian joke left to your imagination. :-)

But note that the interface between the OP's microphone and
the 1/4" mic inputs on the MT2496 takes more than a simple
adapter/cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Tobiah wrote:

tg wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an adaptor that will connect my Shure lavalier
mike (with mini xlr plug) to a quarter inch jack socket on an m-audio
microtrack.
pictures he http://www.zen73857.zen.co.uk/mike/
I've tried studiospares, shure, m-audio, no luck. I'll make an adpator
if I have to but I'd rather buy a ready made one. Thanks for any help.

Is this it?

Ebay Item number: 120162286447

That seller doesn't post to the UK unfortunately.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.misc

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"tg" wrote ...
[...]

This appears to show the pinout of your microphone and
the wiring of the interface (page 10) .....
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups...o_mx1bp_ug.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, your mic wants...

Pin 1 = ground
Pin 2 = power (+6VDC? from a casual glance at the circuit)
Pin 3 = Audio out of mic
Pin 4 = Pin 3 [dunno why?]

You can interface it to the 1/4-inch mic input jacks of the
MT2496 with a variation on Rick Chinn's circuit I cited
previously. You would need to change the zener diode
to limit to 6 volts, and change the wiring where it goes
to the microphone head. It seems unlikely that you could
fit the required components into either connector shell.

stereo mic with mini jack Jack Jarmush Pro Audio 20 February 23rd 07 12:50 PM
Switch box for mini-jack connections? Rabbit Tech 3 July 14th 04 01:46 PM
mini-jack on thinkpad x20 Michael Tech 0 April 29th 04 07:23 PM
Seeking Gallien-Krueger 200MV mini-PA Chas Lewis Marketplace 0 January 9th 04 07:50 AM
Seeking Recommendations for Office Mini System Ron Rathe High End Audio 1 December 1st 03 06:26 PM