Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Mark & Mary Ann Weiss is offline

Default MotU 896 Losing Communication w/ PC after a couple hours

We're dealing with an intermittent problem that cropped up at a March 25th
event, and is now again rearing it's ugly head: a MotU 896 unit that stops
responding to the PC after the recording application has been idle for a
couple of hours.

We're running Vegas 4 as a multitrack recorder on a Sony VAIO laptop. 'Been
using this setup for quite a few years now with never the slightest trouble,
until this year.

Last March, I was in the orchestra pit setting up, and had Vegas in
record-ready mode, and monitoring audio through the MotU interface. I
noticed a couple of brief interruptions in the headphone audio during this
waiting period before the orchestra came on stage. There would be a pop in
the headphone audio and the live audio would mute for 1/2 second then come
back. I rechecked all the wiring connections and they were solid as could
be. Then, 1/2 hour later, I came back, 5 minutes before concert start time,
to start Vegas recording to disc. That's when I found my headphones were
silent and the meters on the MotU were dead. Vegas was unresponsive with
regard to turning off/on record ready for each track. I powered everything
down and rebooted the laptop. After I got it up and running, a minute later
it went dead again. Another reboot cycle and we got it up and running with
barely a minute to spare, and miraculously, it recorded the whole 2-hour
concert without a further glitch.

When we got back to the studio, the MotU 896 got pretty intense use, and
never again did the anomoly show up... that was until this week, when I
started testing it with the laptop by leaving it in record ready in Vegas
for hours at a time. Sometimes in just a few minutes the laptop would lose
communication with the MotU.

After several quick failures on repeated tests, I decided to remove the MotU
driver and install a new, updated driver. I repeated the test, and this time
the system was still working 40 hours later. But then a few hours beyond 40,
it lost communication again. Another power/cycle/reboot was done and the
system ran a couple of hours and lost communications. Earlier this evening,
it lost communications just 17 minutes after booting up the laptop.

This setup used to be 100% reliable. We've recorded numerous events with it
until last March, when for the first time, it developed this problem.

I've since updated the MotU driver, checked cable integrity and done lots of
testing. The problem seems random in that it can go as many as fifty hours,
or as little as ten minutes before losing communication.

Owners of this audio gear may have their own perspective on this problem, so
I'm asking if anyone has encountered this behavior and whether a resolution
was found, and the nature of the solution.

--

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

HD VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION

www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
Business sites at:
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mikey Mikey is offline

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a MOTU users group at the MOTU site or yahoo or similar? Someone
there may know. Best of luck.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bigguy[_2_] Bigguy[_2_] is offline

Sounds like it could be a power saving issue? - the interface may be
powering down if not used and failing to restart...
Check your power scheme options.

Guy

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Sounds like it could be a power saving issue? - the interface may be
powering down if not used and failing to restart...
Check your power scheme options.

Guy

I think you may be onto something there.. I had the same thought yesterday
as I pondered what could be causing this... I balanced the "well, if there's
data coming in, it shouldn't be powering down at random intervals" to the
"of course the PC is not set to 'always on', so why not try setting it to
that profile?", so I did and now 24 hours later, Vegas is still hearing
audio from the MotU. If she makes it past 3 days continuous without a
hiccup, I'll call this problem solved. 'Just need to remember to change the
power profile to 'always on' before a concert.