JWelsh3374

Default Should I sell my analog gear???

I have a beautiful, low hours, full-blown Otari MTR 90 mk III. This sucker has
all the optional stuff...video card...sync card....both locators...extra
channel card....all docs and manuals.

I also have an iZ RADAR 24.

I have not used the Otari, even for tracking, for almost a year. With the Fatso
and assorted tube gear and the groovy converters on the RADAR I really haven't
felt the need. That and the fact that nobody gives a crap abou audio quality
anymore....

I notice these tape decks are rapidly losing value.

My question is.... What should I do with the Otari?

My options a
Sell it at 'street' price ASAP and cut my losses.

Trade it for more gear.

Keep it in the event the world will wake up one day and hate DAWS and ProTools
and/or these things become 'classic' or collectible.

What do y'all think? What would YOU do?

Does anyone know how much longer 2" tape stock is gonna be made?

I really love my Otari... it just seems nobody cares about analog any more and
even I have not used it recently....so I am really struggling with taking the
big cash loss. I paid $24K for this 5 years ago. I would probably only get
around $10K (or less) for it now.

Thanks in advance.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Kevin D. Kissell

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message ...
My question is.... What should I do with the Otari?

My options a
Sell it at 'street' price ASAP and cut my losses.

Trade it for more gear.

Keep it in the event the world will wake up one day and hate DAWS and ProTools
and/or these things become 'classic' or collectible.

What do y'all think? What would YOU do?

What I think you should do is sell it for as much as you can now get for it.
I don't know that that's what I would personally do, but then I've got a lot
of obsolete kit taking up space in my basement and attic, which I should
have sold back when it was still worth something.
..

Mike Rivers

In article ojunk writes:

My question is.... What should I do with the Otari?

My options a
Sell it at 'street' price ASAP and cut my losses.

Trade it for more gear.

Keep it in the event the world will wake up one day and hate DAWS and ProTools
and/or these things become 'classic' or collectible.

What do y'all think? What would YOU do?

I sold my Ampex MM1100 a few years back. I wasn't using it, but I
didn't want to push it down the driveway and let the trash collectors
take it, and I didn't want to sell it to someone on the other side of
the country who wouldn't even give me enough for it to cover beer for
a couple of friends and renting a van to take it to a freight shipper
and who would want to know if it had this or that and hemmed and hawed
and said he didn't know much about analog recorders but heard that
Ampex was a good brand and he wanted to get that analog feel in his
mixes that just weren't happening.

I just put the word out quietly, and maybe a year or so later I was
contacted by someone who was exactly the right kind of buyer. He
offered me a reasonable price, he drove down from NY to pick it up
(and brought a friend with him to help load it), got a run-through on
how to do an alignment, got a carload of spare parts, and used it for
what it should be used for. I saw a while back that he was looking to
sell it, but that's because he had a line on a 24-track MM1200. You
need to find someone like that who will respect and love your machine.
Then you won't mind not getting what you think you should get for it
but know that you never will.

Does anyone know how much longer 2" tape stock is gonna be made?

No, but I expect at least another ten years. That's just a guess. I
don't own a tape factory.

I really love my Otari... it just seems nobody cares about analog any more and
even I have not used it recently....so I am really struggling with taking the
big cash loss. I paid $24K for this 5 years ago. I would probably only get
around $10K (or less) for it now.

That's actually not bad if you made money with it. I sold my Ampex
for a bit more than half what I paid for it (I bought it used) but it
made me a few times its cost in the years that I was using it.

How much do you think you'll be able to get for your RADAR when it's
as old as your MTR-90? Or even half as old?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
David Morley

I notice these tape decks are rapidly losing value.

My question is.... What should I do with the Otari?

My options a
Sell it at 'street' price ASAP and cut my losses.

Trade it for more gear.

Keep it in the event the world will wake up one day and hate DAWS and
ProTools
and/or these things become 'classic' or collectible.

What do y'all think? What would YOU do?

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

If I were you Iīd trade it for something your really want and possibly
something with potential for retaining itīs value (if you can find
something like that)
Right now, there are so many on the market, itīs a bugger to sell.
Yours sounds like a great condition unit. This is a good thing, but when
prices are down, it drags the top end down too. Find someone who
appreciates the fact that itīs a near perfect example. If you advertise,
youīll have a thousand e-mails saying "I can get one for $3.5k schmuck"
and they can do (only difference is that those ones are trashed and need
major maintenance to even sound half decent, let alone great)
david
Mike Caffrey

If storage isn't an issue and you're not strapped for cash, keep it,
especially if you know how to use it. If you're only thinking in terms of
money I bet three years from now you stand a better chance of getting
somthing outof it doing archivale transfers than selling it. If your main
motivation is music, 3 years from now we're going to need people who
actually know how to use these machines to play back music that's on 2
inch only. It's a great technoogy, maybe not for everyday use, but we
shouldn't let it die.

In article ,
ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote:

[...]

www.monsterisland.com

Steve

I think you answered your own question. I've talked to a lot of people
experiencing the same recording techniques. The analog machine
collects dust while tracking to hard drive/s. I just saw an 80% head
life Sony APR 24 go for $3k in new condition. Great machine but
useless for the 2003 recording techniques.

I know you have some great mics and outboard stuff and I personally
would make sure I invest my money were I am going to use the gear or
pluggins for whatever todays needs are.

There are all kinds of analogies that can be made about your 2 inch
Otari. Muscle cars, records, etc; clear your mind and don't look
back....... I did 2 years ago and frankly haven't missed it one bit.

Steve

PS: Since you care about the audio quality, I think what YOU record is
most likely going to sound just fine. Most of us do care and
technology will advance the audio quality we all strive for.

ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote in message ...
[...]

Analogeezer

[...]

Wow that really sucks...I think part of the deal is this level of
equipment does not get used that much in pro situations anymore, BUT
at the same time it's kinda scary for the hobbyist, analog freak kind
of people on a budget that are still buying analog tape decks.

They might scare up the $4k the deck would sell for but then if
something breaks they are concerned about the parts and tech services
costing them a grand or so. Tape costs kind of enter into it as well.

With something like a small format Tascam, there is a greater comfort
level with these kinds of folks. Don't forget too that some of these
kinds of users are also running unbalanced, or small format boards and
would have to updgrade their console and cabling just to use your
Otari.

So 2" machines are kind of caught in a netherworld, not enough demand
for pro situations, at the same time not cheap enough and "friendly"
enough in terms of service and maintenance costs (this is relative,
I'm talking about the perception more than the reality) to appeal to
the hobbyist types that want an analog deck.

I think these days it might be easier to sell a TSR-8 or MS-16 just
because of the market for analog machines has gone more to the
hobbyist types.

I bet right after World War II you could get a helluva deal on P-51
Mustangs, just for these very same reasons (difficult to fly,
expensive to fly).

Analogeezer
JWelsh3374

GREAT responses, fellas!

That kind of stuff is why I still peek in here...much obliged to all.

Now...I still dunno WTF to do with it. I do love it so...

Analog, that is.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Fletcher

JWelsh3374 wrote:

GREAT responses, fellas!

That kind of stuff is why I still peek in here...much obliged to all.

Now...I still dunno WTF to do with it. I do love it so...

For what you'll end up getting for it... you might as well hang onto it.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Rick Powell

ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote in message ...

snip
Does anyone know how much longer 2" tape stock is gonna be made?

I have a friend that is still recording on Edison wax cylinders. No
****.

http://members.tripod.com/~Edison_1/

If the recording technology of the late 1870's is still being
successfully used today (albeit in a very limited way), chances are
analog tape will survive within our lifetime. A boutique manufacturer
or 2 will buy the manufacturing equipment, which will also sell for a
fraction of its original worth. I predict this manufacturer will sell
the product as a labor of love more than a serious cash-generating
operation.

RP
HenryShap

If you haven't felt the need to use it because of the RADAR, then you don't
need it. Whether it'll be of use to you in the future is another story.

I suggest looking at your overall financial situation. If you have any debt,
sell it and pay it off. Paying interest on debt for the next 4 years while you
wait to use it again is silly. Even if you don't, having 5-10k in the bank, in
a money market fund, paying off your mortgage, or 401k is an awfully nice
feeling. I wish I was feeling that way myself.

Henry Shapiro
Pittsburgh, PA

I have not used the Otari, even for tracking, for almost a year. With the
Fatso
and assorted tube gear and the groovy converters on the RADAR I really haven't
felt the need.

LeBaron & Alrich

Lowndes wrote:

being a mkIII shouldn't it be worth over 5? I wouldn't sell for that unless
it absolutely would not be used ever or if the big news (about the end of
tape production) was imminent.

At which point you won't sell it at all, because there will be no buyer.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Chris Rossi

I just wanted to say that if anybody has a 2" deck they just don't
know what to do with, I'll be happy to store it for them. For free,
even. I'd see to it that it got put to good use.

rossi

ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote in message ...
GREAT responses, fellas!

That kind of stuff is why I still peek in here...much obliged to all.

Now...I still dunno WTF to do with it. I do love it so...

Analog, that is.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message . ..
Lowndes wrote:

being a mkIII shouldn't it be worth over 5? I wouldn't sell for that unless
it absolutely would not be used ever or if the big news (about the end of
tape production) was imminent.

At which point you won't sell it at all, because there will be no buyer.

You really buy that stuff, Hank... about 'no more tape' ??

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"

LeBaron & Alrich

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote...

Lowndes wrote:

being a mkIII shouldn't it be worth over 5? I wouldn't sell for that
unless it absolutely would not be used ever or if the big news (about
the end of tape production) was imminent.

At which point you won't sell it at all, because there will be no buyer.

You really buy that stuff, Hank... about 'no more tape' ??

I think tape will be available for another ten years, maybe less or more
depending on what else happens in the world, but if/when tape production
is history grand analog machines aren't going to be useful to anybody
but a few folks who drive Model A's.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
EggHd

I think tape will be available for another ten years, maybe less or more
depending on what else happens in the world, but if/when tape production
is history grand analog machines aren't going to be useful to anybody
but a few folks who drive Model A's.

Does anyone have any idea of how much tape is sold in the newer formulas that
are used today? Won't they be the driver for if a compnay continues to make
tape?

---------------------------------------
Scott Dorsey

Rick Powell wrote:
It is also possible that a boutique "middleman" could contract the
making of audio recording tape out with one of the remaining
manufacturing plants, if the Emtec's etc. were predisposed to
discontinue its manufacture. This would probably be done by making
"short runs" of production to order. I would expect the price to go
up as a result.

The former principals from Zonal were talking about doing this at a
Mexican videotape plant... the plant is already set up to do slurry coating
and slitting to 1/2", so making 1/2" tape would be a matter of using a
thicker mylar roll to begin with and using their own slurry formulation.
I don't know how far they got with this, though.

While we outsiders speculate here, it would be interesting in hearing
from someone within the audio recording tape industry on their near-
and long-term outlook on survival of the species.

Everything I hear from the media guys is pretty upbeat, but they don't tell
me everything.
Bill Thompson

One more vote for keeping it... assuming that it isn't dragging you down
financially, and that space is not an issue.

If both of those are true, I'd keep it. I have an MCI JH-16 that I am
holding onto for a bunch of reasons, it's paid for, it has, in the past
made me money, and even though I got a pretty good deal on it several
years ago I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get enough for it to make it worth
selling.

And I'm in the same boat as you are in terms of use. At the moment I've
actually taken it apart to do a general clean-up and learn more about it
kind of thing. At today's tape prices even I can't afford to just play
around with it, so when I am just playing around I use a Fostex D-108,
and when I'm happy with an arrangement and performance I'll put it back
together again (hopefully I'll have actually finished that project
before I need itG) and use it.

And every once in a while I do get a call for it... even if it is just
transferring old 16 track tapes to the computer. Heck, my 80-8 is even
more worthless (in terms of resale value) than the MCI, but I do get
calls to transfer old 1/2" 8 track tapes to computer... and to be really
candid, I haven't transferred some of my old stuff yet... so the 80-8
sits in the rack!

Hope this helps...