Posted to rec.audio.pro
dansolitz dansolitz is offline

Default Help need software to convert cassette tape to audio cd

I just joined a choir and have practice tapes that I would like to
convert to audio cds .I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time. Does anyone know of a simple soft wear product that would
allow me to create a separate file for each song on the tape That I
could then copy to an audio cd? The simpler the better quality is not
an issue.
Thanks, Dan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

dansolitz wrote:
I just joined a choir and have practice tapes that I would like to
convert to audio cds .I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time. Does anyone know of a simple soft wear product that would
allow me to create a separate file for each song on the tape That I
could then copy to an audio cd? The simpler the better quality is not
an issue.
Thanks, Dan

Audacity will allow you to do the recordings which you can then export
as WAV files
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Standard Windoze software will then burn the CD for you

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 13, 10:53 pm, dansolitz
wrote:

I have successfully taken the headphone output
of a boom box and plugged it into the microphone jack of my windows
home xp computer and can create a file which I have copied to a audio
cd using the software that came with windows, but it only works for a
short time.

What only works for a short time? Do you mean that whatever you're
using for recording (the Windows Media Recorder, perhaps?) only
records for a short period of time? If that's your problem, then you
need a more serious recording program. I'll go along with the
recommendation for Audacity.

Most computers that come with a CD recorder installed also have a
program for creating CDs that allows you to place markers in a long
file to divide it up into tracks. See what you have and what it will
do. The Windows way to make a CD using the Microsoft tools isn't easy
to remember and is pretty limited. Look for a program like Nero or
something from Roxio. They're pretty common. They're commercial
programs but there's usually a limited (sometimes limited to whatever
CD drive is on your computer) version bundled with the computer or
drive.

If you don't mind buying a program, you might want to look at Spin It
Again from Acoustica Softwa http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/
It's intended for making CDs from phonograph records, but there's no
reason why it wouldn't work with a cassette as the source. It's very
simplified, it even walks you through making the connections and
setting levels, but it does a pretty good job of automatically
detecting where to put the CD track divisions (and you can check and
revise those before burning the CD) and it even has some noise cleanup
tools.

Alternately, you as long as the recording program you're using now can
record for the duration of one song, you can record one song, save the
file, then record the next song, save the file, etc. It's a little
tedious but if you're only doing this once, it's not so bad.

Or the simplest solution: Ask if someone in the choir has already done
this and can just make you a copy of his or her CD.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 15, 7:48 am, "John Phillips" wrote:
I would like a web site or contact information for a service that can take a
single cassette and digitize it at high quality.

I don't recall that Sonicraft has ever talked about cassette decks
that they have (they're mostly about transferring professional
formats) but you can ask.
http://www.sonicraft.com (obviously)

Another good resource is Richard Hess:
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/facility.htm

I can do it on my
Sony cassette and M-Audio but I want it to as good as it can be with
something like a Dragon as the player.

How bad is it when played on your own cassette deck, and in what way
is it bad? There's nothing coming out of the best adjusted cassette
deck that your M-Audio interface can't handle adequately. Cassettes,
unless they're very well recorded on a high quality deck originally,
are usually not worth a whole lot of trouble to copy. If it's worth a
lot of trouble (and a lot of money) then you really need to look to a
serious restoration expert like Steve or Richard. Your regular
newsgroup hack who happens to have a Nakamichi Dragon and a nice A/D
converter will probably run you a copy for $50 or so, but it may not
be significantly better than what you can do at home for free with a
little care.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Phillips wrote:
I would like a web site or contact information for a service that can take a
single cassette and digitize it at high quality. I do not want any
processing, just a stereo track for each side (24 bits). I can do it on my
Sony cassette and M-Audio but I want it to as good as it can be with
something like a Dragon as the player.

I do this stuff all the time, on a time and materials basis.
http://www.kludgeaudio.com/salvage.html I think.