Brian Tankersley

Default Problem with 24 bit aiff when copied from PC to Mac

The lack of Window's support for the resource fork on Mac native file
formats renders the PC originated versions of those files to be useless
on a Mac. Does that make sense?

In a nutshell, it's an OS issue. I've yet to see an SD2 or AIF created
on a PC open correctly on a Mac. If somebody knows something I don't
about this, please jump in here. AFAIK, it's a no go.

The easy fix is to give him WAV files which will work perfectly.

Regards,
Brian T

Bob Drake wrote:

I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit aif
files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to his
Mac and says they a
A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what versions),
and
B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.

I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this case.
He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and try
a few things myself. Any tips?

Thanks,
BD

Sugarite

I gave someone (he is not very experienced working with audio) 24 bit aif
files on a CDR. I'm using a PC, Samplitude 7.11. He copied the files to

his
Mac and says they a
A) "Not even recognised" by ProTools or Logic (he didn't say what

versions),
and
B) Show up as 16 bit Quicktime movie files.

I told him to try renaming them "aiff", because I have seen this same
problem fixed that way before, but he insists it doesn't work in this

case.
He is in London and I'm in S. France so I can't just pop over there and

try
a few things myself. Any tips?

Sounds like he's still using OS 9, which still isn't a bad idea for audio.
Tell him to look for a program on Versiontracker.com that allows you to
change creator and file type settings. Last one I used was called Creator
Changer for OS 9 (worked in classic). The creator shouldn't matter, but the
file type should be AIFF. If that doesn't work he should try opening it
with a sound utility like SoundApp (also for OS 9), and do a null
conversion, meaning no file attributes are changed, but a new file is
generated from scratch and should be properly formatted. Peak can also work
for that.

Bob Drake

Thank you for the info. I've also just sent the guy a CDR with 24 bit wav
files instead, and await his response. Meanwhile I will note what you have
mentioned here for future reference.
BD
www.bdrak.com

"Sugarite" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Drake

Thanks Brian.
I would have given him wav files but he specifically asked for aiff. I
honestly think it is teh first time he's ever done a project where he had to
trade files between not only Mac/PC but also PT/Samplitude. I remember how
surprised he was that I simply dragged his files into a new Samplitude
project...he was expecting some kind of problems. Anyway after this he will
maybe trust me a little more next time

"Brian Tankersley" wrote in message
What I find is that these days, WAV is the safest bet all around. I've
not seen a recent problem going in either direction via WAV. FWIW, Pro
Tools is just as happy working purely in WAV format these days as it is
in SD2.

Brian T