Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry Fox Barry Fox is offline

Default Logic 8 Pro is out

No more dongle!

Only $499 (not a typo)

The DAW world has been turned upside down!

Thanks to Apple!

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"Barry Fox" wrote in message

No more dongle!

Only $499 (not a typo)

The DAW world has been turned upside down!

Thanks to Apple!

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

Apple is looking more and more attractive to this PC guy. With Vista slowly
replaceing XP on the PC front, I actually believe that it's crunch time for
PC DAWs. I think we're quickly getting to the point where the Windows
platform is not a viable option for any type of serious audio work.

I'm sad for the PC DAW application publishers, but I think the game is
almost up. Once XP is not available on new PCs, it will not be possible to
purchase a truly stable PC based DAW. This could well mean curtains for the
PC DAW makers, which is what's so sad. They don't deserve to go down the
tubes at the hands of Microsoft.

Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien BH Julien BH is offline

On Sep 13, 9:11 am, "news to me" wrote:
You both really believe this drivel you are writing?

"Bill Ruys" wrote in message

.. .

"Barry Fox" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Well I'm a PC guy, and the OSX platform is becoming more and more
attractive to me.
I'll keep XP on my computer until Vista 2.0 is out or whatever it's
called by that time.
My DA-2496 doesn't have any drivers for vista anyway as I'm speaking,
damn u Edirol & Microsoft.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

not bad.

the integration between different editing windows looks better, and
those improvements to the audio editing, creation of environments,
multi-tracking and comping seem cool too.
looks like you can make music more easily and speed up editing quite a
bit.

and integration with other applications keeps getting better as well.

instruments/effect plug-in wise, the new delay looks great, the
surround sound stuff is probably interesting for those who use that,
and there are lots of added sounds and loops.

not sure whether they've fixed some of the dumb details in the
quantize and groove templates, if not then people into beats
programming will still find a few minor annoyances there. don't think
they've changed or improved the synths or exs24.

with the distributed processing and a few new macs linked together you
could put high res convoluted reverbs on all instruments and get the
most ridiculously huge sound while running high res video. haha. can't
afford to do it that way personally.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"news to me" wrote in message
You both really believe this drivel you are writing?

Yes, I do actually. I've been an IT professional for almost 20 years and
have been building DAWs for as long as DAW apps have been available for PC.

For the first time in an long as I can remember, the platform has taken a
huge step backwards with the introduction of a new OS. I have been
struggling with a quad-core Vista 64-bit DAW for about 6-months now and I'm
not alone.

I'm not offended if you consider this "drivel", but if you want to convince
me, you'll need to submit a slightly more convincing argument.

Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

rakmanenuff wrote:

with the distributed processing and a few new macs linked together you
could put high res convoluted reverbs on all instruments and get the
most ridiculously huge sound while running high res video. haha. can't
afford to do it that way personally.

Don't tell me it comes with conv.reverbs?

I resently scooped an article on reverbs saying conv.reverb plugins,
comparable in quality to an outboard algorithm-based Lexicon, are pretty
expensive, which is of cause a relative statement.

What's the minimum premium for having a useful conv.reverb for i.e. a
medium sized concert hall, and what's the hardware requirements, both
for a single Mac and with two linked?

FWIW, I only have two G4's, dual-800 and 400. I may shop a new Mac mid
next year, or just upgrade cpu's in both. This is a private setup..

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Don't tell me it comes with conv.reverbs?

Logic 8 cetainly looks nice but it has had a very good convolution reverb
included for a long time. It's called Space Designer and used to cost $700
as a standalone plugin. I don't know the minimum computer you'll need to use
it but I have a G5 2.3 and it can run plenty of them.
Actually speed is not so much an issue at the moment. I run a pro studio and
the only time I run out of power is when the samples get too big which
basically is a ram question. This happens when you use 5 GB pianos along
with 5 GB drumkits etc and is easily dealt with by freezing the tracks.
Of course the industry is coming up with suggestions for us to need faster
computers but at the moment this is not moving all that fast. I'm sure that
384KHz/32 bit recording will eventually catch on but until then.....
The entire industry is in an "in-between" period where the new standards
haven't really caught on while the old ones definately are on the way out
but haven't really been properly replaced yet. That means that right now all
the new stuff is "too" expensive and nobody can even tell if it's going to
be the next big thing.
My advice is to spend as little money as possible until a clearer picture is
painted (like when 16 bit was replaced by 24 bit).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

HKC wrote:
[...]

I hear you. Well, I work on my own stuff only, so I can choose exactly
what works for me and skib what might be needed for a general setup.

WRT keyboards, I'm looking into either a Yamaha DGX 620 or a used
Kurzweil, combined with an Emu Proteus 2000/2500. Should cover my needs,
i.e. not planning on using ram hungry plugins.
Drums, dunno yet. Maybe soundfonts through Sample Tank.
I briefly mentioned my limited Mac ballpark. I'm thinking about linking
the two Macs, and run Sample Tank on the old 400Mhz, with 2GB ram.

The 'rest' is guitars and bass, with the tone mostly finished off my
rack, one at a time.

I know people who ran Cubase+Reason on a G4-550 until quite resently, so
my dual-800 for Logic Pro + Reason and the G4-400 for Sample Tank
doesn't seem too far fetched, if dooable.. Comments?

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Hanson Ben Hanson is offline

Everyone knows that MS products have to age like wine. That you're even
trying to run a proper DAW on Vista considering that it isn't even up to SP1
yet is nuts. While it's true that most new hardware ships with Vista that
doesn't mean that the end of vendor support for XP is nigh...HP still
releases regular driver updates for Windows 2000-based
desktops/workstations/servers. As long as a lot of people are still using
it, vendor support for it will continue...XP isn't going anywhere for a long
time.

Windows-based DAW's aren't going anywhere either. The people that say they
are are the same people that say that Linux and web-based/open-source based
Office applications are going to go mainstream in the typical business
enterprise "any day now". It's never that simple.

I've used plenty of Apple machines and they sure are nice....I'm not
knocking them, but the reality is at the end of the day your software
doesn't write music for you, and a properly provisioned and locked-down XP
machine (like the one I use) has been bullet-proof for 3 years now. If yours
isn't that reliable either the hardware and/or drivers are crap, the
software is hacked (Cubase dongle emu's and the like) or the machine isn't
set up properly. OK so that's a gross oversimplification but the notion that
it has to be unstable because it's XP and it has to be stable because it's
Apple is untrue. Just had some guys in my studio last week in fact who
couldn't get their shiny new G5 PowerBook's to cooperate so I did it for
them on my gasp XP-base DAW.

"Bill Ruys" wrote in message
.. .
"news to me" wrote in message
You both really believe this drivel you are writing?

Yes, I do actually. I've been an IT professional for almost 20 years and
have been building DAWs for as long as DAW apps have been available for
PC.

For the first time in an long as I can remember, the platform has taken a
huge step backwards with the introduction of a new OS. I have been
struggling with a quad-core Vista 64-bit DAW for about 6-months now and
I'm not alone.

I'm not offended if you consider this "drivel", but if you want to
convince me, you'll need to submit a slightly more convincing argument.

Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

Logic 8 cetainly looks nice but it has had a very good convolution reverb
included for a long time. It's called Space Designer

The 'rest' is guitars and bass, with the tone mostly finished off my
rack, one at a time.

I know people who ran Cubase+Reason on a G4-550 until quite resently, so
my dual-800 for Logic Pro + Reason and the G4-400 for Sample Tank
doesn't seem too far fetched, if dooable.. Comments?

i've got a dual 450 G4 upgraded to dual 1.8 running lots of exs24
samples with eq and limiting (more convenient than my akai s5000 but
not better) and that's ok until you stick a massive cathedral on your
acoustic guitar and some nice space designer drum reverbs on your
kick, snare and overheads.

if you want cathedrals, tunnels or airports you need to freeze/ bounce
that stuff really. the space designer is fantastic but it does take a
lot of your processing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

rakmanenuff wrote:
Logic 8 cetainly looks nice but it has had a very good convolution reverb
included for a long time. It's called Space Designer

The 'rest' is guitars and bass, with the tone mostly finished off my
rack, one at a time.

I know people who ran Cubase+Reason on a G4-550 until quite resently, so
my dual-800 for Logic Pro + Reason and the G4-400 for Sample Tank
doesn't seem too far fetched, if dooable.. Comments?

i've got a dual 450 G4 upgraded to dual 1.8 running lots of exs24

A quickie for my own upgrade: which cpu/brand.. OWC?

samples with eq and limiting (more convenient than my akai s5000 but
not better) and that's ok until you stick a massive cathedral on your
acoustic guitar and some nice space designer drum reverbs on your
kick, snare and overheads.

if you want cathedrals, tunnels or airports you need to freeze/ bounce
that stuff really. the space designer is fantastic but it does take a
lot of your processing.

Good to know about what's possible vs performance needed, thanks.
Since I work on my own stuff only, I can take the time to freeze/lock
and do one thing a time..

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

i've got a dual 450 G4 upgraded to dual 1.8

A quickie for my own upgrade: which cpu/brand.. OWC?

G4 gigabit ethernet machine with a sonnet encore upgrade:

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/p...roducts_id=195

i also tried to upgrade my graphics to quartz extreme but the radeon
9800 has been discontinued, so that's gone to hell. there's too much
pressure on people to buy a new mac every 4 years, but since i don't
make pro videos it's cool as it is. can't run final cut express or
google earth though.

anyone got a radeon 9800 G4 2xAGP to sell me?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtougas[_3_] jtougas[_3_] is offline

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:28:48 +1200, "Bill Ruys"
trained 100 monkeys to jump on the
keyboard and write:

Apple is looking more and more attractive to this PC guy. With Vista slowly
replaceing XP on the PC front, I actually believe that it's crunch time for
PC DAWs. I think we're quickly getting to the point where the Windows
platform is not a viable option for any type of serious audio work.

Actually, with the advent of Parallels and other vritual machines, you
don't necessarily have to give up WinXP.

God only knows how long it'll be until Microsoft EOL's XP, but when it
does, I'll likely switch to OS X for professional work, and Linux for
my day to day stuff.

One thing that Microsoft is doing that may hasten this is that they've
filed for a patent for in-OS advertisement popups, to be triggered by
user actions. One of the funnier ideas I've heard regarding this
would be having an ad for Linux or OS X pop up after your third
CTRL-ALT-DEL in a day...
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

jtougas wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:28:48 +1200, "Bill Ruys"
trained 100 monkeys to jump on the
keyboard and write:

Apple is looking more and more attractive to this PC guy. With Vista slowly
replaceing XP on the PC front, I actually believe that it's crunch time for
PC DAWs. I think we're quickly getting to the point where the Windows
platform is not a viable option for any type of serious audio work.

Actually, with the advent of Parallels and other vritual machines, you
don't necessarily have to give up WinXP.

Parallels actually works really well. Someone demoed it on a laptop
running some hardware test suite just fine, which indicates it even has
decent hardware abstraction.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
wavemechanic[_2_] wavemechanic[_2_] is offline

"Dobbin" wrote in message
. uk...
if it wasn't for Venetian blinds it'd be curtains for all of us

Aww Dad!!!! Go away, you're embarrasing me!

Best Set-up For Logic Pro 7 [email protected] Pro Audio 12 August 3rd 06 08:26 PM
Logic 5.5 for pc Brad Pro Audio 10 April 15th 06 01:59 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 3 May 29th 04 09:53 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 0 May 27th 04 10:04 PM
logic 6 pro or logic platinum or digital performer Matt Pro Audio 0 May 27th 04 10:04 PM