Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rich R Rich R is offline

Default Tascam BR-20

Ok folks.

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500, little used in original box with operators
manual and service manual. I'm sure you all know its a 1/4in 7.5/15ips 2
track.

I'm just soliciting opinions on this machines performance from those who
have experience of it, and do you think £500 is an acceptable price to pay.

Thanks
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:52:24 GMT, Rich R
wrote:

Ok folks.

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500, little used in original box with operators
manual and service manual. I'm sure you all know its a 1/4in 7.5/15ips 2
track.

I'm just soliciting opinions on this machines performance from those who
have experience of it, and do you think £500 is an acceptable price to pay.

Thanks
Rich

Seems high to me. It might be worth half that amount.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Rich R wrote:
Ok folks.

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500, little used in original box with operators
manual and service manual. I'm sure you all know its a 1/4in 7.5/15ips 2
track.

I'm just soliciting opinions on this machines performance from those who
have experience of it, and do you think £500 is an acceptable price to pay.

Thanks
Rich

Just curious, but why would you want to use tape for anything?
£500 pounds does seem high, unless you have a nostalgic desire
to own this thing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Rich R wrote:
Ok folks.

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500, little used in original box with operators
manual and service manual. I'm sure you all know its a 1/4in 7.5/15ips 2
track.

I'm just soliciting opinions on this machines performance from those who
have experience of it, and do you think £500 is an acceptable price to pay.

The bad news is that this is not a high-end recorder by any means, and is
maybe a step below the broadcast machines like the Ampex 440.

The good news is that they are a lot smaller and more convenient than a
440, which makes them worth more than they otherwise would be. People want
small equipment these days.

The better news is that they ARE available in new-in-box condition. For the
most part, analogue recorders are worth whatever their heads are worth, so
a machine that has brand new heads with no (or hardly any) hours on them is
worth good money, while the same machine with bad heads is worth nothing.

$500 seems fair for the machine just because the condition is so good. If it
were me, I'd pass it by, but then I don't mind putting some work into updating
an older machine. Lots of other people do.

Oh, and DO verify that it really IS in good condition, of course.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 12, 3:52 pm, Rich R
wrote:

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500

That's an opporutnity? The BR-20 is an OK machine and if it's in good
shape it'll probably last a long time. But whether it's a good deal
for you depends on what you'll be using it for.

An Ampex AG-440 (or maybe it's easier to find a Studer where you are)
is a better machine and though you're not likely to find one in almost
new condition, you're likely to find one in good working condition.
And I can tell you that it will be much easier a few years down the
road to fix an AG-440 or find someone to fix it than to fix a BR-20.
The Ampex is a lot simpler, has fewer hard-to-find parts, and a good
support group. I think that the BR-20 was selling for over $3,000 new
here in the US before it was finally discontinued last year and you
can bet that you'll pay an arm and a leg for parts if you can get them
at all.

I think that £500 is too much to pay for a recorder like this today.
Not that it isn't a bargain compared to the original price, but it's
just too much to have invested in something that will probalby become
an orphan before you're ready.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Rick Ruskin" wrote in message

I have the opportunity of an almost brand new Tascam BR-20 Open Reel
Recorder being offered for £500, little used in original box with

operators
manual and service manual. I'm sure you all know its a 1/4in 7.5/15ips 2
track.

I'm just soliciting opinions on this machines performance from those who
have experience of it, and do you think £500 is an acceptable price to

pay.

Seems high to me. It might be worth half that amount.

And only if the heads are in good condition.

Peace,
Paul

TASCAM 58 value ? Daniel Pro Audio 4 October 5th 06 11:27 PM
F/A: Ebay. Tascam 80-8, Tascam 1516 16 channel mixer, some mics and stuff. CHEAP. [email protected] Pro Audio 3 February 10th 06 01:45 AM
Should I get Tascam US-122? Jeng Yi Pro Audio 4 July 15th 04 01:20 AM
Should I get Tascam US-122? Jeng Yi Pro Audio 0 July 9th 04 06:20 PM
Tascam DM24 or Tascam MX2424 - are the the same converters in both of these? Bill Lorentzen Pro Audio 24 March 7th 04 07:15 AM