Raymond

Default Direct Mix vs Mbox vs UA-5

Hi,

Can anyone help with a recommendation regarding sound cards? I'm probably
buying Cakewalk Home Studio. Just want to record one line at a time mostly.
Acountsic guitar, lead vocal, harmony vocal mainly. Want to end up with a
warm sounding recording on a cd.

As far as sound cards I've been looking at the Aardvark Direct Mix, the
Digidesign Mbox, and the Edirol/Roland UA-5. Anyone have any experiences
with those? Or any other recommendations in the $200-500 range?

I'll be using a Rode NT1-A condensor mic and I'm thinking one of the abocve
cards will be the preamp for the mic too.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Ray

Thanks for the point about the phantom power! It turns out the Mbox
($450) and UA-5 ($300) have 48v phantom power but the Aardvark Direct
Mix ($230) doesn't so I'd have to also get a preamp ($160 for a
Behringer VX2496) for that in order to use a condensor pic. -Ray

"mark-h" wrote in message news:X0oNa.118509$hd6.114537@fed1read05...
the m-audio duo should do ya fine--2 channells, mic preamps, but i dont know
if it does phantom power.
consider thistho:
m-audio quattro (4 channels, midi)about $250, and a small mixer about $250.
lots more versatility....Sonar 2.2 uses the ASIO drivers, so the quattro
gives ya 4 channels plus live synth capabilty and input monitoring(which ya
dont really need with a mixer). oh... added cost for the cables...8 channel
snake.

mark-h

"Raymond" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone help with a recommendation regarding sound cards? I'm probably
buying Cakewalk Home Studio. Just want to record one line at a time

mostly.
Acountsic guitar, lead vocal, harmony vocal mainly. Want to end up with a
warm sounding recording on a cd.

As far as sound cards I've been looking at the Aardvark Direct Mix, the
Digidesign Mbox, and the Edirol/Roland UA-5. Anyone have any experiences
with those? Or any other recommendations in the $200-500 range?

I'll be using a Rode NT1-A condensor mic and I'm thinking one of the

abocve
cards will be the preamp for the mic too.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

jnorman

go over to the tapers forum hosted by oade audio, and read some of the
posts about the different units you are looking at - those guys have
used everything. in that price range, doug oade offers a few
different midifications for the UA-5 that people really like a lot.
he has a "warm" mod that would be great for your rode mic. he also
has a "presence" mod for those who are looking for a more detailed
sound. he also offers a "digi" mod that allows the UA5 to work as a
stand-alone box with SPDIF outs to other types of digital recording
systems.