LeBaron & Alrich

Default Speck EQ 16

wrote:

Still interested to hear from anyone who has personal experience with
them.... The EQ is in a different part of the country and I would not have
a chance to audition it before I try it...

So any thoughts would be helpful!

I've used a prototype of the ASC that had what seems to be the same
idea, three bands of stereo semi-parametric EQ. If the EQ 16 is like
that then it's bound to be a good sounding and useful device.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
EggHd

The EQ16 *looks* like the EQ section of the original 16x 8 console.

---------------------------------------
Vince @ Speck

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

Still interested to hear from anyone who has personal experience with
them.... The EQ is in a different part of the country and I would not

have
a chance to audition it before I try it...

So any thoughts would be helpful!

I've used a prototype of the ASC that had what seems to be the same
idea, three bands of stereo semi-parametric EQ. If the EQ 16 is like
that then it's bound to be a good sounding and useful device.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"

Hank,

Correct. The original prototype for the ASC was in fact a single channel
from the EQ16. As you know, I decided not to use that design for the
current ASC equalizer.

Regards,

Vince Poulos
Speck Electronics
http://www.speck.com

Vince @ Speck

Hi Mike,

The EQ16 went into production around 1990. It was available with 16 stereo
channels and was intended as an add-on to our Xtramix. The Xtramix also has
stereo input channels. We sold quite a few of them. As time marched on,
synths/samplers had greater EQing capabilities and the EQ16 (or any eq for
that matter) wasn't a high priority in the signal chain.

Around 1996 we made the Model 316. A budget version of the EQ16 intended as
an add-on to the Mackie 1604. 1604 owners never really embraced the 316
like we hoped. Oh well.

Regards,

Vince Poulos
Speck Electronics
http://www.speck.com

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

The EQ16 *looks* like the EQ section of the original 16x 8 console.

As I recall, he made that one at the time of the original Mackie 1604
mixer, intening it to be used as a supplement.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

LeBaron & Alrich

wrote:

Still interested to hear from anyone who has personal experience with
them.... The EQ is in a different part of the country and I would not

have
a chance to audition it before I try it...

So any thoughts would be helpful!

I've used a prototype of the ASC that had what seems to be the same
idea, three bands of stereo semi-parametric EQ. If the EQ 16 is like
that then it's bound to be a good sounding and useful device.

Hank,

Correct. The original prototype for the ASC was in fact a single channel
from the EQ16. As you know, I decided not to use that design for the
current ASC equalizer.

Right, and you took it a great direction. But I'm still willing to argue
that that simple stereo 3-bander is a fine little EQ. g

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
Mike Rivers

In article @ writes:

Around 1996 we made the Model 316. A budget version of the EQ16 intended as
an add-on to the Mackie 1604. 1604 owners never really embraced the 316
like we hoped. Oh well.

Thanks for the refresher. I remembered something about one of your
multi-channel equalizers being targeted as a Mackie improvement and I
forgot about the Xtramix being an earlier product.

Some people have trouble remembering what happened in the '70s because
of what they did in the '60's. I have trouble remembering what
happened in the '90's because of the explosion of project studios and
equipment to support them.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )