Jim Kollens

Default microphone question

Hi Scott, Just curious. What have you been using for clarinet on jazz stuff
lately? I've been using a 77dx on dixieland stuff and it can be a little
abrasive, especially if the player dwells in a high register. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim Kollens
Benjamin Maas

"Jim Kollens" wrote in message ...
Hi Scott, Just curious. What have you been using for clarinet on jazz

stuff
lately? I've been using a 77dx on dixieland stuff and it can be a little
abrasive, especially if the player dwells in a high register. Any

suggestions?

Thanks, Jim Kollens

A 77dx abrasive? Check your positioning. I doubt you're going to find much
smoother than that. Perhaps a Coles 4038 or a Sennheiser 441 would be more
to your liking... Try aiming the mic a bit more towards the bell rather
than the mouthpiece. About an arm's distance and above the horn seems to
work pretty well.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

LeBaron & Alrich

Jim Kollens wrote:

Hi Scott, Just curious. What have you been using for clarinet on jazz
stuff lately? I've been using a 77dx on dixieland stuff and it can be a
little abrasive, especially if the player dwells in a high register. Any
suggestions?

Beyer M160?

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
ScotFraser

Hi Scott, Just curious. What have you been using for clarinet on jazz
stuff
lately? I've been using a 77dx on dixieland stuff and it can be a little
abrasive, especially if the player dwells in a high register. Any

suggestions?

In the past I've used TLM193's (one upper, one lower) but I'm really liking the
B&O ribbon these days. Depends on the style. Classical clarinet players have a
darker rounder sound that works well with the Neumanns. Klezmer & Greek players
tend toward a brighter squawkier tone that favors the ribbon. Jazz guys are
somewhere in between. I seem to run into a lot more bass clarinets in the work
I do, which really wants the upper/lower mic approach, & I only have one of the
B&O's, so I still rely heavily on the TLM193's.

Scott Fraser