ChrisCoaster

Default Sticking pair of Mics in stryofoam dummy head.....

"Stephen Sank" wrote in message ...
Wouldn't you then be talking about a "bi-testicular" recording?

--

that will be FINE - I haven't checked this post in over two weeks and
some of the stuff on here is frightening! I do appreciate the more

Thanks,

-ChrisCoaster
Arny Krueger

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
om

"Stephen Sank" wrote in message

Wouldn't you then be talking about a "bi-testicular" recording?

--

that will be FINE - I haven't checked this post in over two weeks and
some of the stuff on here is frightening! I do appreciate the more
objective inputs here, and you know who you are. All I'm aiming to do
is create a more realistic "stereo" image without necessarily pointing
two full sized SM-58s, for example, or AKGs, at the source. Our
heads, for better or worse, are the best stereo microphone casings out
there, and they are certainly not for sale. : )

1/4" omni electrets such as those made by Panasonic and sold by Digi-Key
seem to be common grist for this mill.

Scott Dorsey

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Wasen't there a head and shoulder mic (or what ever it was called) at abby
road studios.It was a head on a boomstand with microphones in the ears.I
remember seeing pictures of it years ago.It was some outrageous amount of
money for it.Anyone ever seen or used one of these ???.

There is a "head and shoulder" mic built by DPA that fits the description.
$18000.00 the last I checked. Probably more now with the exchange rate.

It's called a Kunstkopf. Neumann makes one (and I think Abbey Road has
the Neumann). DPA makes one. HEAD Acoustics makes one.

This is the tool used for binaural recording, and it works very well for
that. If you look for John Sunier's web site "Binaural Source" he has a
lot of sample binaural recordings that you can listen to on your computer
through headphones to get a sense of how it works.

Binaural recording is amazingly realistic and gives a better sense of space
than anything else around, but because it requires headphone playback, the
market is kind of limited.
Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
om

"Stephen Sank" wrote in message

Wouldn't you then be talking about a "bi-testicular" recording?

--

that will be FINE - I haven't checked this post in over two weeks and
some of the stuff on here is frightening! I do appreciate the more
objective inputs here, and you know who you are. All I'm aiming to
do is create a more realistic "stereo" image without necessarily
pointing two full sized SM-58s, for example, or AKGs, at the source.
Our heads, for better or worse, are the best stereo microphone
casings out there, and they are certainly not for sale. : )

1/4" omni electrets such as those made by Panasonic and sold by
Digi-Key seem to be common grist for this mill.

I should add that Styrofoam is way too acoustically transparent to simulate
a human head. A skull-shaped chunk of plaster with silicon molded around it
would be more to the point.

Len Moskowitz

Arny Krueger wrote:

that will be FINE - I haven't checked this post in over two weeks and
some of the stuff on here is frightening! I do appreciate the more
objective inputs here, and you know who you are. All I'm aiming to do
is create a more realistic "stereo" image without necessarily pointing
two full sized SM-58s, for example, or AKGs, at the source. Our
heads, for better or worse, are the best stereo microphone casings out
there, and they are certainly not for sale. : )

1/4" omni electrets such as those made by Panasonic and sold by Digi-Key
seem to be common grist for this mill.

Our High End Binaural microphone set uses a matched pair of the DPA
4060s. IMO, the 4060s are arguably the finest sounding miniature mics
in the world and have among the lowest self-noise specs of any miniature
mic.

At a lower price point you might consider our Core Sound Binaural mic
set. It starts with a Panasonic capsule, but we modify them quite a bit
so that they end up not much like a stock capsule.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in

Binaural recording is amazingly realistic and gives a better sense of
space than anything else around, but because it requires headphone
playback, the market is kind of limited.

Since (a) no one seems to care about quality stereo sound anymore and (b)
most of the kids listen on headphones, I'd think that binaural would be the
sound of choice these days.

I am kind of surprised that it hasn't taken off in the Era of the Walkman.

Oh yeah, the recordings they listen to aren't recorded live. Forgot.

No, you can do overdubs with binaural methods. It just takes twice as many
tracks since you basically have to stereomike everything and use the room
to set much of the placement up. But tracks are cheap these days.

Len Moskowitz

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Binaural recording is amazingly realistic and gives a better sense of
space than anything else around, but because it requires headphone
playback, the market is kind of limited.

Since (a) no one seems to care about quality stereo sound anymore and (b)
most of the kids listen on headphones, I'd think that binaural would be the
sound of choice these days.

I am kind of surprised that it hasn't taken off in the Era of the
Walkman.

Binaural mics are very popular. We've been manufacturing them for 13
years and have a healthy following.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912