easynews

Default Is it safe to plunge into a USB Midi Controller, or is it crash and freeze city?

I think the Roland Edirol PCR-50 might be a pretty good midi controller
- the advertising says it's the best anyway...and it looks like it's got
a lot of stuff going on...

Anyone use it?

In article ,
says...
Hi,

Tried google: But you guys know best: Are USB midi controllers stable
with Cubase, Reason, Pro Tools 6.1?

USB Midi sounds convenient...but I hear it likes to giggle at the user,
then crash.

Many say one is better off using a midi cable to the joystick port of
your PC. I used midi to SB Live Drive ports...worked reliably.

Others say that Athlon motherboards with Via chipsets won't work
reliably with USB midi.

Just plugging into a usb port and working stabley with Cubase...really
seems too good to be true.

I am looking to buy a midi keyboard, and there seem to be two options:

Category 1.) For about 200 - Buy a non USB midi keyboard/synth eg. Casio
WK1630(76keys), or Yamaha DGX202(76keys) or Yamaha PSR292(61keys). These
have no usb hookups but lots of sound and features, and can connect via
midi cable to joystick port (most common?) or SB Live Drive midi ports.

Category 2.) For a little less, buy a soundless Midi controller like the
Evolution MK-249c, or the Miditech 49key - I avoid the Midiman Oxygen
types with 10 keys - Man...I have cousins with more fingers than that!!

The main differences I see are that category 2 has usb, less keys, and
controller knobs.

Category 1.) has sound, more keys, no knobs, no usb. The Category 1.)
keyboards also have lots and LOTS of featuers, syntehsizers, sound
banks, voices, etc.

So why would I buy a soundless midi controller? Are the usb and knobs
that great?

I want this mainly to play keyboards, use Cubase, and compose. I will be
doing lots of PC based synthesizers like Native Instruments B4, Lots of
VST plugins, Lots of soft synths.

But can't I do all of this with Category 1 - the Yamaha/Casio
variety...and more?

Aren't the soundless USB controllers more limited...save for USB and
knobs?

Are the knobs great with VST's? Does USB Midi really work?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!!!!! I wish there were a cheap
keyboard with sound, features AND USB and knobs.

Love,

Me!!!!

Chip Borton

Im seriously thinking of picking up an EZBus from Event.
http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZbus.html
Looks very versitile.
My son uses one and he has no complaints yet ...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

easynews

Hey, thanks...sounds like a cool piece of kit...if it works. Let me know
how yours turns out if ya get one

In article ,
says...
Im seriously thinking of picking up an EZBus from Event.
http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZbus.html
Looks very versitile.
My son uses one and he has no complaints yet ...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

easynews

PC - Gigabyte 7vtxe / Biostar m7viq pro / ECS k7ama these are the
three I have now...but I could switch to a board known to work great
with audio...there are so many boards with apparently nice soundstorm,
sb live / and nvidia chips built in...I wonder if they would work as
well as a basic sb live platinum pci card...

In article ,
says...
pc or mac?

"Chip Borton" schreef in bericht
Im seriously thinking of picking up an EZBus from Event.
http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZbus.html
Looks very versitile.
My son uses one and he has no complaints yet ...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

DrBoom

wrote in message ...
Hi,

Tried google: But you guys know best: Are USB midi controllers stable
with Cubase, Reason, Pro Tools 6.1?

USB Midi sounds convenient...but I hear it likes to giggle at the user,
then crash.

Many say one is better off using a midi cable to the joystick port of
your PC. I used midi to SB Live Drive ports...worked reliably.

I think you have your answer right there -- in the PC world, this
is an established and reliable standard. If all you're trying to do
is get basic MIDI in and out of your PC, it will should work fine.

[...]

I don't see any reason to get a USB keyboard unless you want to
use one as a doodle pad with a laptop. I have an MidiMan Oxygen8,
and it's a cheap, mushy board: fine for tapping stuff in, but not
a lot of fun to play. I use it to screw around with Reason on my
iBook, but it mostly gathers dust.

Category 1.) has sound, more keys, no knobs, no usb. The Category 1.)
keyboards also have lots and LOTS of featuers, syntehsizers, sound
banks, voices, etc.

If you are a keyboard player, then the thing that really matters is
how the keyboard feels to your hands. You can add all the sounds
you want with synth modules and/or software synths, but if you
don't have a good vibe with your keyboard, it's all gonna suck.

So why would I buy a soundless midi controller? Are the usb and knobs
that great?

I want this mainly to play keyboards, use Cubase, and compose. I will be
doing lots of PC based synthesizers like Native Instruments B4, Lots of
VST plugins, Lots of soft synths.

But can't I do all of this with Category 1 - the Yamaha/Casio
variety...and more?

Yup.

Aren't the soundless USB controllers more limited...save for USB and
knobs?

Seems that way to me, yes. I don't view USB as an important factor,
however.

Are the knobs great with VST's? Does USB Midi really work?

Mousing two virtual knobs in different directions at the same time
would be, um, interesting.

If you need to do a lot of knob twisting, check out the Phat Boy:

http://www.keyfax.com/keyfax/storephat.html

I've never used it, but it has been around for a while. Native
Instruments used to sell it from their web store, but it looks
like the Midiman borg have taken them over.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!!!!! I wish there were a cheap
keyboard with sound, features AND USB and knobs.

FWIW, I have a MOTU Micro Express USB, and it works fine with
my iBook, Power Mac, and Athlon (SiS 735 chipset). I use an
aging Kawai K11 as a controller, but I can unplug it from all
the rest of that crap and use it all by itself to make what passes
for music in my world -- something you can't do with any of the
MIDI controllers. It can suck to be tethered to a computer if you
want to jam with friends.