Madra Rua

Default Suggested noise filter settings for old movie?

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Madra Rua wrote:
Esteemed Gurus :-)

I have a VHS copy of the 1937 movie As You Like It.

It has loads of pops, hiss and other noise.

I tried the default settings in Cool Edit Pro but, apart from the pops,

it
didn't help much. I did find about 15 seconds at the end, where I

obtained
the fft sample.

So, can you get a better copy to begin with? Odds are the VHS copy you
have is many generations down from the original. The closer you can get
to the original, the better.

C'est vrai? ;-)

I recorded it from Public TV, so it shouldn't be too far down from the
original.

Would you believe it claims "Western Electric Noiseless Recording" :-)

Thanks for the comment.

Rua

Scott Dorsey

Madra Rua wrote:
Scott writes:

So, can you get a better copy to begin with? Odds are the VHS copy you
have is many generations down from the original. The closer you can get
to the original, the better.

C'est vrai? ;-)

I recorded it from Public TV, so it shouldn't be too far down from the
original.

You recorded it OFF THE AIR?

You have to be joking. Okay, you got the original sound neg, than maybe
a mixed neg (also optical), then (if you're lucky) the print, and more likely
(if you aren't lucky) a couple dupe generations. Then transfer to videotape.
Then another transfer for the tape that got sent to the station. Then lots
of processing at the station, then the airchain, then the cable company
then the cable company processing chain, then your VHS machine.

This is a route for NASTINESS. This is NOT a low generation copy. This is
dozens of generations of junky gear down.

Would you believe it claims "Western Electric Noiseless Recording" :-)

Yes, the Westrex push-pull track system WAS very noiseless compared with
variable density in that era. But I bet most of the noise you're dealing
with came AFTER the original print and has a lot to do with the huge numbers
of generations of copies before it got to you.
Madra Rua

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

You recorded it OFF THE AIR?

This is a route for NASTINESS. This is NOT a low generation copy. This

is
dozens of generations of junky gear down.

Yeah, but it's probably pretty close to the sound on a commercially
released videotape, which is about as close as anyone without
credentials can get to the first generation. As much of the optical
noise has probably already been removed as is practical, but of course
that's a matter of judgement of the person who did it, the budget, and
the tools available at the time.

I suspect that what's remaining is what he wants to remove. I'd say
just watch the old movie and recognize that it's an old movie.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Many thanks Scott and Mike,

I recorded the movie from Public TV and cable - not "off air." With the
same VCR and TV station, I recorded an opera - much more recent than the
1937 movie - probably 1980s or 1990s. With the Cool Edit default settings,
and an fft sample from the beginning, I denoised it and the result is better
than the average FM radio where I live. I'm very happy with that result. I
think that denoising simply removes the noise introduced by the VCR, so the
original must have been in a fairly good state.

That old 1937 movie could have had many copies made to get into the state it
is in
now. I managed a reasonably good de-popping, and most likely the VCR noise
was removed too, but there is still much hiss and sometimes the voices are
not very sharp. What filter settings would make the best shot for a start? I
could spend a little time refining it afterwards.

Anyone know of a good sharp book on either or both audio and video editing?

TIA

Rua