Max Metral

Default Thorens 160 Revisited

When we last left our fearless and witless narrator, he had a Thorens 160
with speed problems. Nobody believed his explanation of torque on the
center hole. And they were right...

So after 3 cheap flourescents and one order of a neon bulb from
allelectronics.com, I have a working strobe disc/light pair that checks out
on my Technics 1200s. Anyhow, what seems to be happening on the TD160 is
that the little "lever" that lifts the belt up for 45 speed is not getting
it up... Does the center platter need any sort of lubrication to allow the
belt to travel up/down? Or the plastic motor thing? Basically on 45 it
gets slightly "kinked" and the lever, rather than rising to the upper
(wider) part of the rotor.

Thanks for any help!
--Max

(re reading this post, there are going to be a lot of confused porn
searchers on deja news)

FOURCADE Jean

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:49:17 -0400, "Max Metral"
wrote:

When we last left our fearless and witless narrator, he had a Thorens 160
with speed problems. Nobody believed his explanation of torque on the
center hole. And they were right...

So after 3 cheap flourescents and one order of a neon bulb from
allelectronics.com, I have a working strobe disc/light pair that checks out
on my Technics 1200s. Anyhow, what seems to be happening on the TD160 is
that the little "lever" that lifts the belt up for 45 speed is not getting
it up... Does the center platter need any sort of lubrication to allow the
belt to travel up/down? Or the plastic motor thing? Basically on 45 it
gets slightly "kinked" and the lever, rather than rising to the upper
(wider) part of the rotor.

Thanks for any help!
--Max

I have a TD 165 and a TD 160 and always had problems to change the
speeds, so i listen to 45s on a special day, i take off the platter to
manually place the belt. This thing doesn't seem to be designed to
work . These turntables are for LPs (noble), not for singles (vulgar);
if you still want to play singles you've got to suffer. Anyway, you
don't want to ruin your high priced cartridge playing 45s ? :-)

Jean
Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:40:29 +0200, FOURCADE Jean
wrote:

I have a TD 165 and a TD 160 and always had problems to change the
speeds, so i listen to 45s on a special day, i take off the platter to
manually place the belt. This thing doesn't seem to be designed to
work . These turntables are for LPs (noble), not for singles (vulgar);
if you still want to play singles you've got to suffer. Anyway, you
don't want to ruin your high priced cartridge playing 45s ? :-)

Hey, my best 12" discs are 45rpm!

Kal