Ken Theriot

Default Preventing/Reducing Sibilance While Tracking?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:57:20 GMT, "Steve King"
wrote:

Plus a third choice, one the original poster mentioned, which is to
laboriously treat each occurance in a DAW. And, how many goddamn S's can
there possibly be in a song that takes months of editing, that's what I want
to know.

thanks for everyone's help here. When I said months of editing, I
mean over MANY songs. though sometimes I am amazed at how many S's
there are in just one.

Ken
Ken Theriot

Hugo,

I will try this. It seems to be the most oft-suggested solution. We
are moving to San antonio in a few weeks, so it may take awhile. But
I will report back with the results of these solutions. Thanks again.

Ken

On 23 Jun 2003 21:56:55 -0700, (Off Hugo) wrote:

Ken,

I'm not one of the biggies around here, just a fly on the wall most of
the times, but here's my simple suggestion:

Work on the angle of the mic and/or the position from which she sings
from.

First, try having her sing staright on into it...this will be the
place where the sibilence is worst but it will give you a baseline.
Then, have her sing from the side, 1/4 turn from the front. Then,
slowing and deliberately, work your way towards the front, in tiny
increments, and listen for the best spot.

After that, try having her sing above and below the capsule (towards
the body is usually okay).

Also, try tilting the mic forward and sing towards the top of it, like
a dynamic almost, but not quite. Then, try tilting it back and sing
towards the body.

A few things to think of:
Although it seems like a lot, you can eliminate the worst positions
and single out the better positions fairly quickly.

Remember to move or change positions in very small increments.

While working out the general positions, you can let her hold the mic
and move it around. Of course, this only works if she recognizes the
sibilence.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Off Hugo

Ken Theriot wrote in message . ..
After months of working to reduce sibilance problems from within a DAW
on this particular female singer, I am determined to prevent it so I
don't have to waste so much time editing. Before I re-invent the
wheel, I wanted to check with folks here on ways to tame sibilance
while tracking. We use an Oktava MK-319 large diaphragm condenser
with a pop-filter, run through a Peavey VMP-2, and into a Roland
VS-880.

Thanks.

Ken

R Krizman

Isn't there some trick in which you tape a vertical pencil in front of the mic
or on the windscreen?

-R