Justin Ulysses Morse

Default taking the jump

One option is to make friends with somebody who's going broke running
an indie studio. Help out with maintenance, and then find them some
paying clients. My standing offer to would-be interns is: You bring
us the gig, and you get to assist. In the meantime, help me move this
junk around while I tell you some stories about recording and show you
what an Altec M11 looks like.

ulysses

In article , tirrell
payton wrote:

After reading the pros and cons of "audio engineering schools vs buying your
own equipment and learning on it" I have decided to take the plunge. No, I
am not attending full sail, what I am doing is dumping my job and deciding
to follow my passion.

My plan is to find a studio that will accept a free peon. I am not an audio
school grad, and my only experience is my own project studio and gigging
with my band. Those are disadvantages. I have a college education (double
degree, international business/french language), I have work experience, and
I dont have any pie in the sky dreams of becoming rich and famous from
working in a studion, and I am a competent individual. Those are
advantages.

Hopefully someone on this board will be able to help me out. Does any one
know of any studio in the Orlando, FL area that would be willing to take in
a free peon?

Thank you for your time.
-Tirrell Payton

Raymond

In article , tirrell
payton wrote:

Hopefully someone on this board will be able to help me out. Does any one
know of any studio in the Orlando, FL area that would be willing to take in
a free peon?

Did you try Full Sail? Did you look in the phonebook for recording
studios/entertainment in Orlando?
Blind Joni

My standing offer to would-be interns is: You bring
us the gig, and you get to assist.

This is my standing offer too..not many takers lately...works for me.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Analogeezer

"tirrell payton" wrote in message . com...
[...]

Given that you are in Whorelando (that's what my friend that lives
there calls it) I would think there might be more demand for post
audio type of production gigs, I'm not sure if Universal/Dinsey, etc.
farm that stuff out some or do it all in house. You might want to try
and get hooked in with that group, sure it would be more boring work
than recording cool bands, but you would get experience with more
higher end gear and make better connections...I bet some of the people
involved in the Post industry there have studios on the side
too...that might give you an opportunity to get your music ya yas out
while doing audio for Mickey pays the bills.

Just a thought, but generally audio jobs in specific urban areas tend
to follow whatever the dominant audio related industry is in that
area.

I'm sure there is a pretty decent studio scene in Orlando (there was
way back when I lived in FL), but I bet it's pretty competitive, given
the fact there are likely a lot of Post guys wanting music gigs and
Full Pail grads running around.

I wouldn't call having a project studio and playing in a band
disadvantages...that's called real world experience.

Good luck...

Analogeezer