Ty Ford

Default Choosing btwn Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD-280 pro

In Article , "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

"DrBoom" wrote in message

I have a couple of 7506's and while they aren't super high fidelity,
they are fairly comfortable and non-fatiguing to my ears. They
fold up small enough to be reasonably portable, too.

If you're DJ'ing, though, you might want to think about Sony's
"DJ" series (V-7000, I think). They're supposed to have better
(well, more) bass output and might have better isolation than
7506's. This helps for beat mixing or if your speakers are
far enough away that there's a time lag to screw with your
mix timing.

Sure they are 7506s ? I can't imagine mine being described as lacking in
bass (any more might be totally unrealistic), or non-fatiguing to listen to
(unless upper mid-deaf already !) .....

;-)

geoff

And the 7506 have quite a sensitivity @ 60 Hz as well. If you want or need
more bass than that, I'd have a hearing test first.

More bass than the 7506 would indeed be more fatiguing. The question you
have to answer is whether you want a smooth ride, an accurate ride or one
that will give you a lot of over focused detail.

Smooth ride: Sennheiser 600, AKG 1000
Accurate ride: Grados
Over-focuse detail: MDR7506

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Eric Toline

Just got a set of the Senn HD 280 pro's and returned them the same day.
Big 5 db drop in the midrange starting at 2.5k up to 10k.

While the 32db claimed isolation seemed to work they were very
uncomfortable to wear. Replaced them with another set of Sony 7506's.

Eric

DrBoom

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message ...

[...]

Sure they are 7506s ? I can't imagine mine being described as lacking in
bass (any more might be totally unrealistic), or non-fatiguing to listen to
(unless upper mid-deaf already !) .....

Perhaps I should clarify:

There's more bass than you need for critical listening, but for DJ use you
(or at least *I*) probably want something with even more hyped low
bass to make cue track beats audible over a slamming PA subwoofer.
Better isolation is helpful, too, but you get so much low bass bleed from
bone conduction that sometimes you just need something that can
work like a bass shaker for your cranium.

As far as fatigue, I mostly mean in the comfort sense. I don't usually
drive headphones to a high enough level to cause any kind of hearing
fatigue, nor do I use them for critical listening -- they're mostly a
head-mounted "do not disturb" sign. :-)

-DrBoom
Kurt Albershardt

Eric Toline wrote:

Just got a set of the Senn HD 280 pro's and returned them the same day.
Big 5 db drop in the midrange starting at 2.5k up to 10k.

How did you measure this?

While the 32db claimed isolation seemed to work they were very
uncomfortable to wear. Replaced them with another set of Sony 7506's.

Different 'phones for different heads. I find them tight but
manageable. Anything less tight lacks isolation IME.

DrBoom

(Ty Ford) wrote in message ...
In Article , "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

"DrBoom" wrote in message

[...]

60Hz is low? Some of the techno stuff the original poster is talking about
would sound like a click track if you did a 60Hz highpass. I realize that
the "beat" is usually centered higher than that, but I've got a couple of
CD's around here with bottom octave bass lines that just make 7506's
spazz out.

More bass than the 7506 would indeed be more fatiguing.

To you, maybe. I can listen to boom, boom, boom all day (see my nom
de net) but loud mids and highs make me reach for earplugs fairly
quickly.

The question you have to answer is whether you want a smooth ride,
an accurate ride or one that will give you a lot of over focused detail.

Horses for courses, yes indeedy.

-DrBoom
Geoff Wood

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Smooth ride: Sennheiser 600, AKG 1000
Accurate ride: Grados
Over-focuse detail: MDR7506

Actually I like the 7506 bass best ( coud *swear* it flaps my trouser legs
.....) , but overall I like the AKG K240S (new version) far better than my
K270s/7506 for extended listening.

geoff.

normanstrong

"Eric Toline" wrote in message

Choosing btwn Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD-280 pro

Why not buy both. I'm sure you can buy the pair for $150.

Norm Strong

HenryShap

Yeah but how do they sound? Which model?

I was presented with a pair of the new AKG phones. Altough they are more
efficient than the previous models, you still need a VERY healthy amp to
push them. Like the closed backs and auto cut-off switch though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Aaron J. Grier

DrBoom wrote:
Better isolation is helpful, too, but you get so much low bass bleed
from bone conduction that sometimes you just need something that can
work like a bass shaker for your cranium.

ever tried a clip-on bone conduction transducer? (:

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"Isn't an OS that openly and proudly admits to come directly from Holy
Geoff Wood

"david" wrote in message news:050720030112286443%

I was presented with a pair of the new AKG phones. Altough they are more
efficient than the previous models, you still need a VERY healthy amp to
push them. Like the closed backs and auto cut-off switch though.

So does the S sound like the M model or do they sound different??

Sure would be nice to have a more efficient but same sounding 240.

Not being familiar with the 'M' , I can't say.

I gather that owing to the lower impedence (which AKG marketing dept seems
to find an end in itself) they go louder, and with lower distortion.

However they could be tricky to drive because of that same '55 Ohm' thing.
My desk, domestic CD players, and homemade 5523 headphone amp have no
trouble, but my discman caves in on peaks.

geoff

Garthrr

In article , david
writes:

So does the S sound like the M model or do they sound different??

Sure would be nice to have a more efficient but same sounding 240.

Not a huge difference but I think the older M model sounds better. Also I dont
think the newer model is all that much more efficient than the old one. I'm a
bit dissapointed with the S model.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

William Sommerwerck

Actually I quite liked the AKG K1000. They require a power amp (really).
I drove them with an old Dynaco power amp and heard things on some
recordings I'd never heard before.

Like severe midrange resonances. Honk, honk, honk!
ScotFraser

Actually I quite liked the AKG K1000. They require a power amp (really). I
drove them with an old Dynaco power amp and heard things on some recordings
I'd never heard before. I don't think most of us were ready for the K1000
when the came out.

Unfortunate choice of model number, though. People might think it refers to a
certain microphone.

Scott Fraser
Ty Ford

In Article , "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Actually I quite liked the AKG K1000. They require a power amp (really).
I drove them with an old Dynaco power amp and heard things on some
recordings I'd never heard before.

Like severe midrange resonances. Honk, honk, honk!

Not on the ones I tried. I think they went through an evolution during their
early life.