Rick Knepper

Default purchase a second distressor or a Alan Smart C2?

I think you are going to hear the suggestion Cranesong STC-8 more than once
during this thread.

--
___
Rick Knepper

"Balanceman" wrote in message
om...
yep, that's the question. I already have a distressor, 2 summit TLA
50s (very cool!), a Spectrasonic 610 and an Avalon 737. I am thinking
of selling the Avalon and Spectrasonic + purchasing either a second
distressor, or a dedicated stereo unit- prob. the Smart.
My questions:

Does any body use the Smart for tracking. or as 2 mono units? Who has
really tried a pair of distressors on a 2 buss?

About 60% of my work comes from mastering (ghetto mastering, but I do
my best) for local bands/labels. I am sick of digital compression-
even the fancy multiband stuff + would like a decent stereo
compressor.

The rest of my income is mixing + editing. I would love another good
compressor for kick/snare/vocal/bass/etc. . .

I hope to find a double duty kinda box- I guess the API stereo comp is
out 'cause of 1 set of controls. . .

I know a lot of this has popped up on the newsgroup before, but never
MY post.

opinions welcome- absolutes discouraged. . .

Kurt Albershardt

Rick Knepper wrote:

I think you are going to hear the suggestion Cranesong STC-8 more than once
during this thread.

One of which was posted for sale/auction several times last month by OZ.

tony espinoza

i have a pair of distressors (with brit mod) and the smart c2. i know
a few guys who would use the distressor on ANYTHING, they love the top
end out of it. both of these have a sound you won't get out of a
plug-in, that's for sure. i've had trouble with stereo imaging on the
distressors before which matters less to me in drum sub but might be
an issue on stereo mix.

i auditioned the STC8 and liked it a lot. super transparent if that's
what you're after. don't think i'd use it on kick and snare though.

if i were you, i'd go for the smart since you have a distressor and
can get that sound (even print that sound if you wanted to use it
multiple times).

-tE

SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
www.sfsoundworks.com
415.503.1110 vox

(Balanceman) wrote in message . com...
[...]

OZ

She's sadly on her way to a new home. She will be missed by all here(Sandstorm)!!

Oz
Fletcher

tony espinoza wrote:

i auditioned the STC8 and liked it a lot. super transparent if that's
what you're after. don't think i'd use it on kick and snare though.

It depends on what you're looking for in a 'kik and snare' compressor... if you're looking for an "effect", you
can get that from the STC-8, but not as easily as you can from an Alan Smart C-2... if you're looking to even out
the 'velocity' of the hits... the STC-8 is about as good as it gets.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Steve Holt

[...]

I dunno about mastering, but I've not seen the Smart in a mastering studio.
But in terms of tracking and mixing, it rocks. Absolutely killer on a drum
buss.
I do not use it on mono tracks. I guess I could, but it's always too busy
being 2-bussy.

Steve Holt
INNER MUSIC
Music Creation & Production
http://www.inner-music.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveholt

BlacklineMusic

Bernie Grundman uses an SSL for mastering, although I believe they modified it
in some way. Maybe improved the opamps? I have a custom made SSL clone
compressor and I just used it on a master at 2:1 taking about 1 db off on kick
and snare it sounded great.