RussellC301

Default Mackie 1202 with ADAT

What weaknesses have you found that you are finding to be a problem?

The main problem is the lack of inserts. I am using it to record the jazz
groups I play in. I have been able to use the Aux sends and one of the direct
outs to create 3 outputs from my mics. The problem is that I have 5 mics and
plan to buy more. I thought about the possibility of purchasing a mic preamp
like the ones made by sm pro audio but decided getting a decent used mixer
would be more cost effective. Also I figured I could not only use the mixer
for preamps but also to do my mix because it will probably be better than my
Behringer.
Guitarboy

In article , RussellC301
wrote:

What weaknesses have you found that you are finding to be a problem?

The main problem is the lack of inserts. I am using it to record the jazz
groups I play in. I have been able to use the Aux sends and one of the direct
outs to create 3 outputs from my mics. The problem is that I have 5 mics and
plan to buy more. I thought about the possibility of purchasing a mic preamp
like the ones made by sm pro audio but decided getting a decent used mixer
would be more cost effective. Also I figured I could not only use the mixer
for preamps but also to do my mix because it will probably be better than my
Behringer.

usually a good companion to an Adat would be the mackie 1602 (even an
original). it gives you 8 mic pres (you can buy and expander with 8
more) and i think at least 8 channels with inserts and it gives you the
ability to have the record sends and returns hardwired (not inline
though) lots of efx sends and returns and 4 busses. the next version
gives you the better pre amps and a more complete monitor section.
Theres another version called the 1642 i think or somethng like that.
anyway 16 channels ives you plenty to mix with.
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
RussellC301 wrote:
What weaknesses have you found that you are finding to be a problem?

The main problem is the lack of inserts. I am using it to record the jazz
groups I play in. I have been able to use the Aux sends and one of the direct
outs to create 3 outputs from my mics. The problem is that I have 5 mics and
plan to buy more. I thought about the possibility of purchasing a mic preamp
like the ones made by sm pro audio but decided getting a decent used mixer
would be more cost effective. Also I figured I could not only use the mixer
for preamps but also to do my mix because it will probably be better than my
Behringer.

You'll find the 1202 doesn't have enough preamps for you either, then.
It's got inserts, but not every channel has a preamp stage available.
You might look into a used 1604, though, which you could use as a set of
preamps by pulling directly from the inserts.

Or you might consider trying to add preamp outputs to your Behringer. It
would be a good first modification job if you can solder already.
Guitarboy

In article , Guitarboy
wrote:

In article , RussellC301
wrote:

[...]

ooops a 1604
James Perrett

RussellC301 wrote:

What weaknesses have you found that you are finding to be a problem?

The main problem is the lack of inserts. I am using it to record the jazz
groups I play in. I have been able to use the Aux sends and one of the direct
outs to create 3 outputs from my mics. The problem is that I have 5 mics and
plan to buy more. I thought about the possibility of purchasing a mic preamp
like the ones made by sm pro audio but decided getting a decent used mixer
would be more cost effective. Also I figured I could not only use the mixer
for preamps but also to do my mix because it will probably be better than my
Behringer.

Around here you can often pick up lesser known consoles used at very low
prices. See if you can find someone who is selling one of the old Fostex
reel to reel 8 tracks - chances are they will also have a mixer to go
with it which they will sell cheaply. In the UK I'd look for names like
MTR, Seck, Ram and even Fostex themselves.

Cheers.

James.