Posted to rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.pro
Steve Kral Steve Kral is offline

Default FA:Lexicon Cp-1 processor

Plays well. On sale at ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexicon-CP-1-Plu...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.pro

I reviewed the CP-1 (not the plus) for Stereophile and found, as others did,
that it had a hashy, "transistory" sound. * These complaints (one of which I
delivered in-person at the CES) caught Lexicon by surprise, and they
re-engineered the CP-2 (mostly with respect to filtering and grounding),
which I did not hear. (I don't think Lexicon wanted me reviewing another one
of their products.) Other reviewers said there was a noticeable improvement.

I don't know if the CP-1plus is an updated design. If it isn't, don't expect
particularly good sound.

Another point... The early Lexicon consumer products used a "Lexichip" that
sampled at only 32kHz, not exactly state of the art. This too-low sample
rate prevented these products from having a direct-digital input, which the
JVC and Yamaha room synthesizers did have. (I own a CP-3plus, and it also
lacks direct digital.)

* My judgement was based on sighted bypass tests.