Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

Bob Olhsson wrote:

The trick
is to "degrade" what's going into the compression process in a way
that it's still acceptable before compression, and that the
compression won't make it significantly worse.

I read that too but my experience has been the opposite. This WAS true
of the very earliest streaming applications but it doesn't seem to be
true of the better codecs.

I'm glad to read that.

Myke

--

-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Lord Hasenpfeffer" wrote in message ...
Bob Olhsson wrote:

The trick
is to "degrade" what's going into the compression process in a way
that it's still acceptable before compression, and that the
compression won't make it significantly worse.

I read that too but my experience has been the opposite. This WAS true
of the very earliest streaming applications but it doesn't seem to be
true of the better codecs.

I'm glad to read that.

Myke

But were you equally glad to read my post...

To which Bob followed with...

I thing the latter post is a most informative one in spite of it's simplicity.

And please note, that Bob referred to "better codecs", not necessarily
the free ones floating around the web. Agreed, the codec you use is
claiming less distortion "Than any other FREE codec" - - but this doesn't
necessarily mean that it is a really good encoding scheme, just really free
with low distortion.

I am a newbie in the MP3 world - but I am recently, over the past couple of
years, forced to learn a bit because my church is recording to an ATRAC
device and then encoding to MP3 for archiving and streaming purposes.
I am fighting for better sounding archives with a non-audio oriented
web-master... so certain parts of the experience, like encoding, are
still outside of my control. I have been able to get increasingly better
results by applying my audio experience and a little common sense
during a few visits to his home and altering a few of his earlier methods.

Albeit a great deal different goal than yours, I am watching this thread
intently to gleen what I can about the subject of MP3.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com