Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Been There Been There is offline

Default Baldwin 3 channel amps : 9 el84

I've seen a couple of these floating around ebait
recently .. they seem to be mostly power amp section:
lacking pre-amp / tone circuits it appears from a distance.

but .. 3 channels .. left, right ? center ?

9 el84 power tubes ... any idea what the configuration
are ? I figure 4, 2, 2 and maybe one to drive a reverb tank.

I haven't found a schematic *yet*.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Been There"

I've seen a couple of these floating around ebait
recently .. they seem to be mostly power amp section:
lacking pre-amp / tone circuits it appears from a distance.

but .. 3 channels .. left, right ? center ?

9 el84 power tubes ..

** Says 6BQ5 in the listing I found.

Only two output trannies visible for three channels.

Be wary.

....... Phil

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Phil Allison"

** Typo:

Says 8 x 6BQ5 in the listing I found.

...... Phil

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Ballroom Dancer Ballroom Dancer is offline

"Been There" wrote in message

I've seen a couple of these floating around ebait
recently .. they seem to be mostly power amp section:
lacking pre-amp / tone circuits it appears from a distance.

but .. 3 channels .. left, right ? center ?

9 el84 power tubes ... any idea what the configuration
are ? I figure 4, 2, 2 and maybe one to drive a reverb tank.

I haven't found a schematic *yet*.

Many of the various Baldwin tube amps were configured with a pair of 6AQ5 or
6BQ5 (depending on year) for each of two channels, and four of them for the
third channel. The first two channels were used for "flute" and generally
went to a rotating baffle and 6x9" speaker (similar to small Leslie) and for
"reed/string" which went to a stationary speaker arrangement, typically a
6x9 plus a smaller tweeter. The third channel (4 tube) amp went to a 12" or
15" speaker and was used for the pedals and lowest notes on the manuals.
If one knew what model organ the amp came from, some manuals are probably
still available - not from Baldwin, but the current supplier of all that is
left: Robert Spoon
MusicElectronics Inc.
5517-A Market St. (shipping address)
Springdale, AR 72764
479-927-0822 - Business
- Email
http://www.musicelectronics.us
(above info from mitatechs.com)

Some of the earlier amps used octal tubes like 6V6GT. I worked on a lot of
them during the years that I did musical equipment service. The amps were
generally very conservatively rated (like 25 watts from a pair of 6L6GTB)
with lower plate voltages than a typical guitar amp.

I should have kept some of the old tube amps that were four 6L6GTB and a
pair of 5U4GB with a 6SN7 input - they were obsolete then, but now would
bring a good sum.

Jim

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

On Jun 13, 6:41?pm, "Ballroom Dancer" wrote:

I should have kept some of the old tube amps that were four 6L6GTB and a
pair of 5U4GB with a 6SN7 input - they were obsolete then, but now would
bring a good sum.

Jim

Hi RATs!

Obsolete is the only thing that got me interested in tube junk. CHEAP.

I didn't comprehend what a joke that was until I had built many tube
amps from scratch.

It is OK if I start out a damn fool and become a wiser eccentric ...

Other folks have found other paths. Gosh, what a startling concept!

Ebay has ruined a great hobby for us old guys on fixed incomes.

We don't post here as much, anymore. Mortals are not trustworthy
epals

Life goes on.

Happy Ears!
Al