Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] hughes7@usa.net is offline

Default laptop PCI slot for converters

I'm thinking of putting together a mobile recording rig.

I've noticed that apogee is making an interface for their converters
that goes directly to the PCI slot on a laptop.

What are and how significant are the advantages of this approach over
firewire? My system will probably only have eight channels of pre-
amplification and eight channels of conversion; so if the main
advantage of this approach is to enable massive throughput, perhaps
this approach has no real advantages on a scaled down system like the
one I am planning.

thanks in advance for any info on this issue

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On May 4, 4:05 am, wrote:

I've noticed that apogee is making an interface for their converters
that goes directly to the PCI slot on a laptop.

What are and how significant are the advantages of this approach over
firewire?

The advantage? No Firewire! The drivers are written for the card,
which talks directly to the computer's bus, which doesn't have timing
problems that Firewire has. Good as Firewire is (sometimes) it's less
than ideal for audio. That being said, for remote 8-channel recording,
Firewire should work fine on a properly tuned computer and will give
you a degree of portability and probably lower cost than a PC Card
interface.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com
I'm thinking of putting together a mobile recording rig.

I've noticed that apogee is making an interface for their
converters that goes directly to the PCI slot on a laptop.

A laptop with a PCI slot?

Make and model please!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On May 4, 7:44 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

A laptop with a PCI slot?

Oh, you know what he means, sort of. A PCMCIA slot, PC-Card slot, PC-
Express slot, whatever.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 4, 5:48 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On May 4, 7:44 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

A laptop with a PCI slot?

Oh, you know what he means, sort of. A PCMCIA slot, PC-Card slot, PC-
Express slot, whatever.

Sorry about my mixed up terminology. Apogee calls it an Express Card.
It connects to the Apogee converters via "a single PCI-32 cable"

http://www.apogeedigital.com/product...honymobile.php

(sorry, I couldn't figure out how to highlight this address as a link)

This seems like a nice approach, hopefully other converter
manufactures will follow suite.

thanks.

Slider slot - how ? Geoff Tech 4 April 19th 07 02:22 PM
16 channels of decent firewire or USB2 A/D converters for going into Laptop? Rick Stone Pro Audio 9 December 13th 06 12:53 PM
empty din slot? Kevin Van Sant Car Audio 7 August 2nd 06 05:23 PM
FA OR BUY IT NOW SLOT MACHINE Hydebee Marketplace 0 January 27th 05 08:24 PM
MOTU 24io converters versus Aardvark Q10 converters Leoaw3 Pro Audio 0 November 26th 03 09:56 PM