Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] docgorpon@aol.com is offline

Default Question about monitor mixing

I work at a church on the weekends. They have a live band, and a
reasonable setup. With a Yamaha board that has, I think, 4 groups and
6 aux. Right now they have aux 1 & 2 going to the stage monitors. And
aux 3 & 4 go to a recorder.
They are hoping to get more than just two monitor mixes on stage. They
would like each member to have thier own mix (there are 8 players on
stage). Could they do this with a seperate mixer? I believe they have
a deal with Peavey. Does peavey make anything that would achieve this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_4_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_4_] is offline

Allen and heath just came out with a dedicated small format
monitor mixer.

peace
dawg
wrote in message
ups.com...
I work at a church on the weekends. They have a live band,
and a
reasonable setup. With a Yamaha board that has, I think, 4
groups and
6 aux. Right now they have aux 1 & 2 going to the stage
monitors. And
aux 3 & 4 go to a recorder.
They are hoping to get more than just two monitor mixes on
stage. They
would like each member to have thier own mix (there are 8
players on
stage). Could they do this with a seperate mixer? I believe
they have
a deal with Peavey. Does peavey make anything that would
achieve this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I work at a church on the weekends. They have a live band, and a
reasonable setup. With a Yamaha board that has, I think, 4 groups and
6 aux. Right now they have aux 1 & 2 going to the stage monitors. And
aux 3 & 4 go to a recorder.

Okay.
They are hoping to get more than just two monitor mixes on stage. They
would like each member to have thier own mix (there are 8 players on
stage).

Well, right now they can get four monitor mixes, by using auxes 5 and 6.

Eight monitor mixes is going to be a lot of work for a single PA operator
to handle, on top of doing the main mix. Also it's going to be another
step toward higher stage levels. I do not recommend doing it unless you
go with IEMs and get a dedicated monitor mix operator.

Could they do this with a seperate mixer? I believe they have
a deal with Peavey. Does peavey make anything that would achieve this?

What they want is a "monitor mixer." I am sure Peavey makes one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

They are hoping to get more than just two monitor mixes on stage. They
would like each member to have thier own mix (there are 8 players on
stage).

When I ran sound at a major performing arts facility in LA I
instituted the policy of no more than 4 monitor mixes from FOH. If a
client really needed more than four mixes they had to hire in an
onstage monitor system & engineer.

Could they do this with a seperate mixer? I believe they have
a deal with Peavey. Does peavey make anything that would achieve this?

Yes, this is called a monitor mixer & is run independently from the
house mix. A separate monitor system & a separate engineer to run it.
You need to make sure this is what you all really want before you go
down that path, as it is a major escalation of the audio budget, both
as regards money as well as time. The additional time, by the way,
gets spent every single time you need to use the system.

Scott Fraser

Opinions on these personal monitor mixing systems? Ben Hanson Pro Audio 10 January 3rd 05 02:21 AM
PT Newbie Question 3 (Mixing) Robert Ober Pro Audio 5 December 4th 03 04:35 AM
Pro tools mixing Question MERCENARYDIGITAL Pro Audio 4 November 26th 03 07:44 AM
Mixing question Doc Gorpon Pro Audio 6 November 21st 03 11:58 AM
DAW mixing question kHolmes Pro Audio 5 September 30th 03 04:51 AM