Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

Default crash course in vinyl pressing

My band has a recording which has been finished and mastered for CD.
We're now planning to release it on vinyl instead/in addition to CD.
We're looking at United Pressing due mostly to the recommendation of
some friend who had their record pressed there.

I have a few specific questions and then I'm polling for general
advice.

I assume the recording needs to be mastered again for vinyl (i.e. the
CD master would no be "remastered" but rather we would have to go back
to the original mixes and have them mastered for vinyl). Is this
correct?

Does "lacquer mastering" include mastering for vinyl from the original
mixes, or is it just cutting the lacquer master?

Does anyone have experience with, comments about. or suggestions for
for alternatives to United?

Many thanks for any advice.
-Andy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] genericaudioperson@hotmail.com is offline

Scott Dorsey on this newsgroup is an absolute genius, and he knows
tons of stuff about vinyl pressing. I think he does this as a
sideline business now. I would hire him.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

apa wrote:
My band has a recording which has been finished and mastered for CD.
We're now planning to release it on vinyl instead/in addition to CD.
We're looking at United Pressing due mostly to the recommendation of
some friend who had their record pressed there.

I have a few specific questions and then I'm polling for general
advice.

I assume the recording needs to be mastered again for vinyl (i.e. the
CD master would no be "remastered" but rather we would have to go back
to the original mixes and have them mastered for vinyl). Is this
correct?

Probably. The bass may need to be tweaked or reduced to enable the record
to be tracked sucessfully, and the dynamics may need to be reduced to fit
the oh-so-limited available dynamic range.

Does "lacquer mastering" include mastering for vinyl from the original
mixes, or is it just cutting the lacquer master?

Just cutting the lacquer.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

apa wrote:
My band has a recording which has been finished and mastered for CD.
We're now planning to release it on vinyl instead/in addition to CD.
We're looking at United Pressing due mostly to the recommendation of
some friend who had their record pressed there.

United used to have a really, really bad reputation for disasterously
bad work. However, they seem to have cleaned up their act and I have
seen some good pressings come from them recently. They aren't RTI
by any means, but they're a whole lot cheaper than RTI.

I have a few specific questions and then I'm polling for general
advice.

I assume the recording needs to be mastered again for vinyl (i.e. the
CD master would no be "remastered" but rather we would have to go back
to the original mixes and have them mastered for vinyl). Is this
correct?

Absolutely. Whatever processing they did for CD is probably inappropriate
for vinyl.

Does "lacquer mastering" include mastering for vinyl from the original
mixes, or is it just cutting the lacquer master?

That is what mastering IS, cutting the lacquer. Any additional processing
can be part of the mastering process, but it's not required.

Does anyone have experience with, comments about. or suggestions for
for alternatives to United?

My personal recommendation for LP cutting work is Don Grossinger at
Trutone. You can have him cut the lacquers, then send them off to
whoever you want (including United) for pressing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Scott Dorsey on this newsgroup is an absolute genius, and he knows
tons of stuff about vinyl pressing. I think he does this as a
sideline business now. I would hire him.

No, don't do that unless you're willing to wait a long, long time for
lacquers. I am way, way behind, and it's going to get worse until
festival season is over.