Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Default Ceiling mic?

So I'm moving into a room with a very high vaulted ceiling that is
around 17' at the peak. The room is otherwise pretty small, maybe 20'
long & 12' wide. The ceilings slant upward at a very slight angle,
giving me the impression that sound would sort of roll up it rather
than bounce. Anyway I'd like to permanently keep a pair of omni mics
X/Y-ed up there just to have available while tracking any given
ensemble of instruments. I'm looking for something flat all the way
down to 60 Hz, dead accurate, with a good off-axis response and, since
they won't be essential to me all the time, somewhat cheap ($600).
Anything resembling a Shoeps, DPA or Earthworks but much cheaper; I
don't know how the NT4 sounds but it'd certainly be easiest, also the
STO's get alot of praise for their accuracy. What would you suggest?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"jeffontheleft" wrote in message
ups.com

So I'm moving into a room with a very high vaulted
ceiling that is around 17' at the peak. The room is
otherwise pretty small, maybe 20' long & 12' wide. The
ceilings slant upward at a very slight angle, giving me
the impression that sound would sort of roll up it rather
than bounce.

????

Anyway I'd like to permanently keep a pair
of omni mics X/Y-ed up there just to have available while
tracking any given ensemble of instruments.

Are you sure you don't mean cardioids X/Y -ed?

I'm looking
for something flat all the way down to 60 Hz, dead
accurate, with a good off-axis response and, since they
won't be essential to me all the time, somewhat cheap
($600). Anything resembling a Shoeps, DPA or Earthworks
but much cheaper;

I don't know how the NT4 sounds but
it'd certainly be easiest,

NT4 = X/Y Cardioids. A relatively neutral-sounding mic, possibly a good
match for your application.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Yeah, sorry I meant cardiod X/Y or spaced omni's. I'll decide the
configuration once I've settled on a mic...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Crown PZMs (Omni, or I'd better to say Hemispherical) or PCCs (Cardioid) can
be a good choice..... I made some HUGE drums with one PZM only in a very
tall room.
F.

Vault ceiling Andy Luotto Tech 26 September 8th 05 10:45 PM
? ceiling speakers billynomates Audio Opinions 1 May 20th 05 04:22 PM
in ceiling speakers on a budget David Jensen Tech 26 January 27th 05 03:52 AM
ceiling speakers Robert Morein Audio Opinions 0 June 27th 04 05:10 AM