Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] acoustician@verizon.net is offline

Default SONY 701 - PCM

Has anyone had any experience on doing diagnostics or can direct me to
someone who has seviced this vintage units?

thanks,
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Has anyone had any experience on doing diagnostics or can direct me to
someone who has seviced this vintage units?

A long time ago. They are really a nightmare to work on. What is yours
doing? Is the problem with encoding or decoding?

You might try Eddie Ciletti. He's too young, but he'll probably know
someone who will work on that stuff.

Sony still has the service manuals. Does the 701 have an S-PDIF output?
I thought only the 601 had a digital output, making it the only one of
these things remotely useful today.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sony still has the service manuals.

If they do, I'd be amazed. If the OP can't get them from Sony, I'd be
willing to copy the 601 service manual for a small fee.

Does the 701 have an S-PDIF output? I thought only the 601
had a digital output, making it the only one of these things
remotely useful today.

For some strange reason, on the "middle" model -- the 601 -- has an S/PDIF
output.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 22, 7:32 pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Sony still has the service manuals.

If they do, I'd be amazed. If the OP can't get them from Sony, I'd be
willing to copy the 601 service manual for a small fee.

I got a service manual for my PCM-501 a couple of years ago from
servcemanuals.net They indeed have one for the PCM-701 as well:

http://www.servicemanuals.net/result...0&model=pcm701

I don't know why the download version is more expensive than the paper
version. Maybe the paper one is really an owner's manual, but you can
e-mail them and ask. With the service manual in hand, it should be
easier to get someone to try to repair is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Sony still has the service manuals.

If they do, I'd be amazed. If the OP can't get them from Sony, I'd be
willing to copy the 601 service manual for a small fee.

Sony is actually really good about that. Last year I called them up and
got a manual for the C-55 microphone. Unforunately they don't stock the
smaller-than-submini hearing aid tube those used, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

It's more about proper tools and space. I have the manual. Bought
it for that purpose. It passes audio on input, but doesn't record.

Is the video signal present but unmodulated, or missing altogether?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

It's more about proper tools and space. I have the manual. Bought
it for that purpose. It passes audio on input, but doesn't record.

What do you see on a video monitor?
Does it play back?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] acoustician@verizon.net is offline

Scott/William -

Thanks -

It's on the table - the plan that is to get it going - but was
hoppign to send it out

I'm convinced now that perhaps I can tackle this here and will put it
in the que -

The video doens't show any modulation by the audio but I see the
digital "readout" -

jm

On 23 Apr 2007 08:52:35 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

wrote:

It's more about proper tools and space. I have the manual. Bought
it for that purpose. It passes audio on input, but doesn't record.

What do you see on a video monitor?
Does it play back?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The video doens't show any modulation by the audio

That narrows down the range of problems.

but I see the digital "readout".

What do you mean by "readout"?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
It's on the table - the plan that is to get it going - but was
hoppign to send it out

I'm convinced now that perhaps I can tackle this here and will put it
in the que -

The video doens't show any modulation by the audio but I see the
digital "readout" -

So, either nothing is getting to the converters or the data from the
converters aren't getting to the logic that is clocking it up to make
it look like video.

I'd start poking around looking for bad coupling caps in the analogue
side.

I do seriously question your sanity for bothering with one of these.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I think sometimes, it is good to just (a) complete the exercise and
(b) because it is -- was -- SONY's top-of-the-line 701. I have a
functioning 501 which can offer parts once the problem is completely
identified, if it is something more than a few "coupling caps"

The working 501 can also be used as a comparison to help isolate the
malfunctioning sections of the 701.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] acoustician@verizon.net is offline

Bravo!

Thanks - I had not extroplated to that point - I know you, Scott -
etc. repsect technology - in a a time when it wasn't a term only used
for computers - a "tuned" 701" is a helluva mastering machine.