Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] strtmstr55@aol.com is offline

Default Normalling Patchbays.

I recently purchased several ADC Ultrapatch Patchbays. I'm going to
be installing them in the studio this weekend. I noticed that the
punchblocks have, besides the "T" "R" and "S" connections, two
additional pins, labelled "RN" and "TN." I am assuming that these
stand for "Tip Normal," and "Ring Normal." Is this correct? and, if
so, how does one set these up for full normal, half normal, or non-
normalled?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I recently purchased several ADC Ultrapatch Patchbays. I'm going to
be installing them in the studio this weekend. I noticed that the
punchblocks have, besides the "T" "R" and "S" connections, two
additional pins, labelled "RN" and "TN." I am assuming that these
stand for "Tip Normal," and "Ring Normal." Is this correct?

That sounds right.

and, if so, how does one set these up for full normal,

RN to RN,
TN to TN

half normal,

RN to R
TN to T
If you have it arranged with outputs on top, then the R on top would
connect to the RN on bottom (and T on top to TN on bottom)

or non- normalled?

RN no connection, top or bottom
TN no connection, top or bottom

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vas vas is offline

On Apr 19, 10:14 pm, wrote:
I recently purchased several ADC Ultrapatch Patchbays. I'm going to
be installing them in the studio this weekend. I noticed that the
punchblocks have, besides the "T" "R" and "S" connections, two
additional pins, labelled "RN" and "TN." I am assuming that these
stand for "Tip Normal," and "Ring Normal." Is this correct? and, if
so, how does one set these up for full normal, half normal, or non-
normalled?

Thanks

You are correct on the TN and RN acronyms. Non-normalled is easy -
leave the TN and RN pins alone. For full-normal, connect the TN pin
on top to the TN pin on the bottom. Ditto the RN pins. For half
normal, connect the T on top to the TN on the bottom, as well as R to
the RN. For parallel, ignore the TN and RN pins and connect T and R
instead (one nice thing about punch panels - you can normal very
easily, even between non-adjacent points). This recommendation
assumes that your punch panel and your patch panel have been soldered
straight through and that the whole assembly follows the commonly
accepted standard configuration of top=output, bottom=input.

Peace out,
--Vasily

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently purchased several ADC Ultrapatch Patchbays. I'm going to
be installing them in the studio this weekend. I noticed that the
punchblocks have, besides the "T" "R" and "S" connections, two
additional pins, labelled "RN" and "TN." I am assuming that these
stand for "Tip Normal," and "Ring Normal." Is this correct? and, if
so, how does one set these up for full normal, half normal, or non-
normalled?

Thanks

Assuming the convention of Output = top, Input = bottom:

Input and Output cables are connected to T, R, and S as you would expect.
Connect jumpers to the Input RN and TN. If you want fully normalled
(usually only used for Mic inputs) you will connect these jumpers to the RN
and TN of the Output jack. If you want half normalled, they connect to the
same TR connections as the input cable.

If you are fully normalling Mic inputs you will need to connect the grounds
of the jacks together as well, otherwise phantom power will not get through.
You don't usually need to connect the grounds together otherwise.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

********, got that wrong didn't I.

Here's the correction in CAPITALS.

Input and Output cables are connected to T, R, and S as you would expect.
Connect jumpers to the Input RN and TN. If you want fully normalled
(usually only used for Mic inputs) you will connect these jumpers to the RN
and TN of the Output jack. If you want half normalled, they connect to the
same TR connections as the OUTPUT cable.

MIDI patchbays MKL52 Pro Audio 1 August 1st 06 10:29 PM
Patchbays CN Pro Audio 3 July 6th 06 06:09 PM
FS: Neve Patchbays [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 29th 06 07:30 PM
mic signals on patchbays bingo Pro Audio 31 February 20th 06 01:27 AM
half normalling at QCP? Tod Treganowan Pro Audio 2 April 7th 05 10:20 AM