Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Default Crash kit for repairing my own gear?

So I bought a used console on eBay that the seller claimed to have
gotten checked out by an audio store and advertised as 'near-mint.'
But as it turns out he was completely full of **** (on eBay?
shocking!) and what I ended up getting would be better described as
near-death. I'm taking action against the seller through eBay but it
looks like I'm stuck with this console, so I figure this would be a
great way to learn some fundamental engineering and repair it on my
own. Starting out, I need help finding (a) a book or books that could
help me understand the mechanics and physics of audio gear as well as
a comprehensive anatomical guide to mics, mixers, cabinets etc. (b)
the equipment (already have a soldering iron and multimeter) useful
for testing & repairing gear and (c) recommendations for wholesalers
to buy parts from. I've already checked the FAQ and am looking for
more specific info. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

The usual suspect masquerading as "Soundhaspriority" wrote ...
wrote...

Starting out, I need help finding (a) a book or books that could
help me understand the mechanics and physics of audio gear as well as
a comprehensive anatomical guide to mics, mixers, cabinets etc. (b)
the equipment (already have a soldering iron and multimeter) useful
for testing & repairing gear and (c) recommendations for wholesalers
to buy parts from.

You're wasting your time. I've analyzed your writings here and it's
clear
I'm a whole lot smarter than you, with more technical and scientific
education as well as "life experience" to draw on. And I wouldn't
attempt
something so stupid-if the console is run out, you'll spend all your
time
fixing it instead of doing great high-level recordings like I do.

Regretably, you've been duped. Dump it and buy something new, and
chalk it
up to life experience.

Bob Morein
Dresher, PA
(215) 646-4894

Ignore the forgeries.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"jeffontheleft" wrote...
So I bought a used console on eBay that the seller claimed to have
gotten checked out by an audio store and advertised as 'near-mint.'
But as it turns out he was completely full of **** (on eBay?
shocking!) and what I ended up getting would be better described as
near-death. I'm taking action against the seller through eBay but it
looks like I'm stuck with this console,

They guaranteed it? It wasn't "as-is"?

so I figure this would be a
great way to learn some fundamental engineering and repair it on my
own. Starting out, I need help finding (a) a book or books that could
help me understand the mechanics and physics of audio gear as well as
a comprehensive anatomical guide to mics, mixers, cabinets etc. (b)
the equipment (already have a soldering iron and multimeter) useful
for testing & repairing gear and (c) recommendations for wholesalers
to buy parts from. I've already checked the FAQ and am looking for
more specific info. Thanks

There are newsgroups (maybe with their own FAQs?)
that specialize in electronics repair. Most of what you
are asking about is generic electronics repair, but there
are certain additional details pertaining to audio.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jeffontheleft wrote:
[...]

What IS this console?

I would suggest getting Horowitz and Hill's book _The Art of Electronics_,
enrolling in an electronic technician program at a local community college,
and getting some junk PC boards and sitting down and learning how to solder
and desolder really, really well.

The Army figures about sixty hours of practice on junk boards before they'll
let you actually touch electronics. That's a bit much, but take a few days
and practice until you can remove any part without damage using the solder
sucker and braid and make solid solder joints that are nice and shiny without
thinking about it.

I will say that the vast majority of modern consoles are basically not worth
the time and effort to rescue from the sort of poor condition you describe,
though, and because of the single-board construction they aren't a good vehicle
to learn diagnostic technique on either. But it depends a lot on what the
console is.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

There are newsgroups (maybe with their own FAQs?)
that specialize in electronics repair. Most of what you
are asking about is generic electronics repair, but there
are certain additional details pertaining to audio.

Here are some specifics:

http://www.repairfaq.org/

If a newbie has a console that needs repair, he really needs help from a pro
or a skilled amateur.

But in the interest of educating him to the point where he at least
understands what he is up against, I would recommend obtaining and reading:

(1) The Yamaha Pro Audio Handbook so he understands what the console is
supposed to do in general, technically speaking

(2) The manufacturer's service manual for the specific console

(3) A thorough understanding of the faqs mentioned above.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 15, 5:54 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
[...]

Ignore the forgeries.- Hide quoted text -

Those of us who have the entire Morein coterie killfiled do not see
any of its manifestations unless some poor benighted fool replies. In
this case, that would be you.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

buzzardnews.com wrote:

The typical load of buzzard puke.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

jeffontheleft wrote:

So I bought a used console on eBay that the seller claimed to have
gotten checked out by an audio store and advertised as 'near-mint.'
But as it turns out he was completely full of **** (on eBay?
shocking!) and what I ended up getting would be better described as
near-death. I'm taking action against the seller through eBay but it
looks like I'm stuck with this console, so I figure this would be a
great way to learn some fundamental engineering and repair it on my
own.

If you paid with a credit card you can reverse the charge. Then you have
the console, the seller has no money, and you can get him to deal.

OTOH, if you want advice you mjight have stated the make and model of
the console. Just a thought.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"Peter Wieck" wrote ...
Those of us who have the entire Morein coterie killfiled do not see
any of its manifestations unless some poor benighted fool replies. In
this case, that would be you.

The message wasn't intended for those of us who know
the game. It was intended for the newcomers. Chill.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

The console's a Mix Wizard 16:2 and it came with a manual. It was
advertised 'as-is' but he also deliberately lied about its condition,
claiming that it got a clean bill of health from a repair shop, plus
that he personally tested every channel and they all worked well. I
don't know what happened to it in transit but by the time it was
delivered to me 1 channel was completely kaput, no signal whatsoever,
2 channels have no phantom, 3 channels have a pleasant hum and 9
direct outs don't work. But I want to learn how to fix gear and I
might as well look at this misfortune as a great opportunity to
start. I do have some experience soldering; I put together a Hamptone
and build all my own cables to save $$$. And I also have a friend who
makes his living repairing/restoring electronics, so I can always go
to him when I hit a snag, but in general I'd like to figure this out
on my own. Thanks to those who actually gave helpful advice/aren't
Bob Morein.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 16, 1:45 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Peter Wieck" wrote ...

Those of us who have the entire Morein coterie killfiled do not see
any of its manifestations unless some poor benighted fool replies. In
this case, that would be you.

The message wasn't intended for those of us who know
the game. It was intended for the newcomers. Chill.

True. But in that case, the "original" is quite capable of managing
his own affairs without the necessity of involving the rest of the
world. Most especially in the case of multiple cross-posts.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_3_] philicorda[_3_] is offline

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:16:25 -0700, jeffontheleft wrote:

[...]

Are there any ribbon cables between the channels that could have come
loose in transit?

I am also in the process of fixing a desk for the purposes of
amusement and edification, and don't have much electronics knowledge
either. Mine is an old A&H Mod3.

Have you had a look inside yet? I have some vague memory that the
Mixwizard has individual channel PCBs (unusual for a small modern mixer).
If so it will make life much easier as you can remove the channel, and
power and connect audio to it outside the mixer. Then you can work on it
without the mixer's other faults confusing the issue.

Remove one channel that works, one that does not, and compare them.
Sockets and bad connections are fairly easy to find and fix, as I'm sure
you know, and often once you have fixed them some other faults seem to cure
themselves. Check the PSU volts as well, as bad power can sometimes cause
apparently unrelated problems.

I bought an oscilloscope, initially because they look cool and I
always wanted one, but I have since found it invaluable for working on
audio electronics. Also a signal generator and high impedance audio probe
with an amp and speaker is very handy. Good luck!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

jeffontheleft wrote:
The console's a Mix Wizard 16:2 and it came with a manual. It was
advertised 'as-is' but he also deliberately lied about its condition,
claiming that it got a clean bill of health from a repair shop, plus
that he personally tested every channel and they all worked well. I
don't know what happened to it in transit but by the time it was
delivered to me 1 channel was completely kaput, no signal whatsoever,
2 channels have no phantom, 3 channels have a pleasant hum and 9
direct outs don't work.

When a lot of things go wrong at once, look for the one thing all those
things have in common. In this case, I will bet a nickel that you have
a ribbon cable that has come partially loose in transit.

Look inside the thing when you have it open and notice how unpleasant
doing board rework on that thing would be. But given the symptoms, I
suspect you won't need to do any rework.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

[...]

with an amp and speaker is very handy. Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

To the op...
where are you located? .. sounds like you need what the hams call an
ELMER, an experienced guy to help you...

To Phil,
I'm an experienced electronics engineer who would like to get to know
more about pro audio.. I am in the Philly area, I think you are too,
if you would like some help with the console repair, let me know..
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

Peter Wieck wrote:

Most especially in the case of multiple cross-posts.

Several of which you have accomplished all by yourself.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:20:34 -0700, Mark wrote:

To Phil,
I'm an experienced electronics engineer who would like to get to know
more about pro audio.. I am in the Philly area, I think you are too,
if you would like some help with the console repair, let me know..

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'm on the other side of
the world in Cardiff, Wales UK. (The nym 'philcorda' comes from one of my
decrepit electric organs.)

I've posted here a few times about the Mod3, and am still chewing over the
last replies. Assistance in the future will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Apr 16, 5:07 pm, philicorda
wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:20:34 -0700, Mark wrote:
To Phil,
I'm an experienced electronics engineer who would like to get to know
more about pro audio.. I am in the Philly area, I think you are too,
if you would like some help with the console repair, let me know..

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'm on the other side of
the world in Cardiff, Wales UK. (The nym 'philcorda' comes from one of my
decrepit electric organs.)

a bit too far for a day trip...:-)
thanks for the reply..
Mark