Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lightclock Lightclock is offline

Default USB Interfaces

Am buying a USB 96kHz/24bit box, basically does anyone know how the Tascam
US122L compares to the Edirol UA25?

It's for use with Cubase SE3 and guitar, after gtr processing, and a Rode
NT3 for general purpose. Am I right in thinking the Edirol has no MIDI? This
is not such a problem although I do use a MIDI keyboard but have an existing
i/f.

Yes, am on a limited budget.

Cheers n beers.

--
Lightclock

I wouldn't be me if I were you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 18, 7:27 am, "Lightclock"
wrote:
Am buying a USB 96kHz/24bit box, basically does anyone know how the Tascam
US122L compares to the Edirol UA25?

Basically, no, other than what you can determine from examining the
features, the controls, the inputs and outputs, and the manuals. You
can do that, and ask specific questions. How it works in your
application is going to be more significant than how it sounds.

If one (or both) have some sonic deficiency or interface weakness,
that's not a comparison between the two, but rather a comparison
between each one and an acceptable level of performance. If one has a
means to mix the input and the playback and the other doesn't, that's
a comparison of functions (which you can get from the publilshed
information) and it's up to you to decide if that's a deciding
factor.

It's for use with Cubase SE3 and guitar, after gtr processing, and a Rode
NT3 for general purpose.

That's not a combination that requires a particularly high gain mic
input stage, so either should be functional in that respect. And a
processed guitar is going to have far more distortion than either A/D
converter will contribute, so the much sought after but rarely defined
"sound quality" shouldn't be an issue.

Am I right in thinking the Edirol has no MIDI?

What does the literature say? Does it have MIDI connectors on it? If
so, it has MIDI, if not, it doesn't. Is that a deal breaker for you?
Apparently not since you already have a working interface. I decided
to get a LynxL22 (no MIDI interface) rather than a LynxONE (MIDI but
no digital I/O) because I decided that digital I/O would be useful,
and it in fact has proven to be so. I need MIDI occasionally, and I
solved that with a $29 Edirol USB MIDI interface.

ipod interfaces jc Car Audio 4 July 19th 06 04:36 PM
multiple fw interfaces? Nate Najar Pro Audio 7 July 6th 06 01:26 PM
iPod interfaces Jason McCabe Car Audio 5 April 5th 05 06:35 PM
PCI interfaces with ADAT Ben Hanson Pro Audio 22 January 24th 05 02:59 AM
Interfaces (alpine?) Scott Coutts Car Audio 0 January 6th 04 01:43 AM