Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben - TheStudioRI.com Ben - TheStudioRI.com is offline

Default How do you get that modern rock vocal sound?

I've had a hard time lately getting a really good rock vocal sound,
ala Nickelback, Stone Sour, Blue October (I think they use a vocal
harmonizer).

can anyone recommend any mics or techniques or websites that would
point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 13, 5:41 pm, "Ben - TheStudioRI.com" wrote:
I've had a hard time lately getting a really good rock vocal sound,
ala Nickelback, Stone Sour, Blue October (I think they use a vocal
harmonizer).

can anyone recommend any mics or techniques or websites that would
point me in the right direction?

Good monitoring. g By the way, Mackie HD824s are excellent vocal
monitors because they're nice and flat in the vocal range and don't
exaggerate or suppress the usual "presence" peak of microphones
frequencyl used for vocal recording.

Having a great singer is the biggest contributor, as is a good
arrangement (no instruments playing in the vocal range while the
singing is going on). A good room so the singer can back off from the
mic often helps. And you need to find the best match of singer, mic,
and preamp so you don't have to fuss much with equalization other than
to help to balance the voice with the track. A lot of vocals are very
closely layered, and there's usually several stages of limiting and
compression.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

A lot of vocals are very
closely layered, and there's usually several stages of limiting and
compression.

One example can be:
1) De-esser to avoid sibilants (De-esser is actually a compressor)
2)EQ to cut unwanted frequencies, mostly mid-bass (and really high if the
mic or preamp is cheap) using very narrow Q.
3)Compressor to rise the RMS level
4)EQ to boost wanted frequencies (mids mostly, maybe bass and sometimes air)
5)Compressor clipping, I sometimes use limiting at this stage.

The vocals will often trigger the master buss compressor and the mastering
limiter...

F:

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 13, 5:20 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys. Yeah, I notice a lot of compression in the rock vocals.
I think you're on to something with the layers and limiting in
stages. I've been fiddling with delays and doublers, but i'm just not
getting the right sound. I didn't know if there were any tricks to
get that sound I've been hearing for the past year or so on new rock
albums. I like to keep up with the new techniques

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Ben - TheStudioRI.com wrote:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I notice a lot of compression in the rock vocals.
I think you're on to something with the layers and limiting in
stages. I've been fiddling with delays and doublers, but i'm just not
getting the right sound. I didn't know if there were any tricks to
get that sound I've been hearing for the past year or so on new rock
albums. I like to keep up with the new techniques

A touch of distortion can go a long way too.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"Ben - TheStudioRI.com" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks guys. Yeah, I notice a lot of compression in the rock vocals.
I think you're on to something with the layers and limiting in
stages. I've been fiddling with delays and doublers, but i'm just not
getting the right sound. I didn't know if there were any tricks to
get that sound I've been hearing for the past year or so on new rock
albums. I like to keep up with the new techniques

Are you happier with your vocal takes if you solo them? I'm wondering if
your problem is more about how the vox are sitting in the mix, as Mike
alluded to.

Have a listen to a recording you really like. Notice what's *not* in the
mix. Note how much space has been left for the vocals. Making room for the
vocals is half the battle.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
J.C. Scott J.C. Scott is offline

"Ben - TheStudioRI.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had a hard time lately getting a really good rock vocal sound,
ala Nickelback, Stone Sour, Blue October (I think they use a vocal
harmonizer).

can anyone recommend any mics or techniques or websites that would
point me in the right direction?

thanks!

What do you not like about your current vocal mixes? What are you hearing on
commercial recordings that you feel yours is lacking?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben - TheStudioRI.com Ben - TheStudioRI.com is offline

On Mar 13, 11:36 pm, "J.C. Scott" wrote:
"Ben - TheStudioRI.com" wrote in oglegroups.com...

I've had a hard time lately getting a really good rock vocal sound,
ala Nickelback, Stone Sour, Blue October (I think they use a vocal
harmonizer).

can anyone recommend any mics or techniques or websites that would
point me in the right direction?

thanks!

What do you not like about your current vocal mixes? What are you hearing on
commercial recordings that you feel yours is lacking?

I'm leaving the proper room, but I'm talking more technique than fit.
I.E. effects, comps, layers, etc... i'm going to try some distortion
next time too... maybe overdrive an La2a type comp.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Ben - TheStudioRI.com wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:36 pm, "J.C. Scott" wrote:

"Ben - TheStudioRI.com" wrote in oglegroups.com...

I've had a hard time lately getting a really good rock vocal sound,
ala Nickelback, Stone Sour, Blue October (I think they use a vocal
harmonizer).

can anyone recommend any mics or techniques or websites that would
point me in the right direction?

thanks!

What do you not like about your current vocal mixes? What are you hearing on
commercial recordings that you feel yours is lacking?

I'm leaving the proper room, but I'm talking more technique than fit.
I.E. effects, comps, layers, etc... i'm going to try some distortion
next time too... maybe overdrive an La2a type comp.

Fun timing... I'm listening to Nightwish 'End of an Era' right now.
It's a live recording. Really great vocals standing out.
All Mike, Bill et al here just said seems to have been applied.

Now, IMO both Tarja and Marco and bitchen good singers in their own
right. Effects on Marco's voice doesn't seem to include things like
distortion, mostly compression and limited delays, maybe eq, can't tell.

Formerly trained as a church singer, I think the _singer_ is the most
significant part. Proper use of air coloumn and a well trained set of
techniques can create a very expressive voice, even a 'distorted' tone.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.