Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

Default ATC Loudspeaker Midrange Quality: 2-way vs. 3-way

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar enough with ATC's studio
speakers to tell me if the 2-way designs are as magical in the mids as
the 3-way. I've heard the 3-way SCM100ASL, and it's the best speaker
I've ever heard in my life. I can only afford the passive 2-way
SCM20SL, however, and I'm wondering if the little woofer has a similar
midrange magic as the dedicated midrange dome in the 3-ways. Thanks!

Sean Broderick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

Eeyore wrote:

I've only heard the 3 way ATCs and they're very nice indeed although not the
most accurate I've heard.

For you, what speaker defines accuracy? I thought the midrange of the
SCM100 was the best I've ever heard, clarity wise. I could just hear
everything. No grunge, smear, ringing, or things "hiding."

What exactly do you want to use them for ?

Mixing

Have you considered PMC ?

Didn't know about them till now. Which model(s)?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Eeyore wrote:

I've only heard the 3 way ATCs and they're very nice indeed although not
the
most accurate I've heard.

For you, what speaker defines accuracy? I thought the midrange of the
SCM100 was the best I've ever heard, clarity wise. I could just hear
everything. No grunge, smear, ringing, or things "hiding."

What exactly do you want to use them for ?

Mixing

Have you considered PMC ?

Didn't know about them till now. Which model(s)?

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index2.htm

Funky Junk carry both ATC and PMC.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar enough with ATC's studio
speakers to tell me if the 2-way designs are as magical in the mids as
the 3-way. I've heard the 3-way SCM100ASL, and it's the best speaker
I've ever heard in my life. I can only afford the passive 2-way
SCM20SL, however, and I'm wondering if the little woofer has a similar
midrange magic as the dedicated midrange dome in the 3-ways. Thanks!

I don't know, BUT in general I will say that in monitor designs, the
3-way configurations are usually compromises in which some midrange quality
is sacrificed for more volume. The 2-way designs are more apt to have
the crossover point out of the vocal range, for instance.

I have liked the smaller 2-way ATCs but never compared them directly with
the 3-ways. I'd certainly audition them if I were you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

If price is not a consideration, a 3-way system should give better results
than a 2-way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar enough with ATC's studio
speakers to tell me if the 2-way designs are as magical in the
mids as the 3-way.

I spent some time browsing their site, and the choice seems to be about
how large a room you want to play how loud in.

I've heard the 3-way SCM100ASL, and it's the best speaker
I've ever heard in my life. I can only afford the passive
2-way SCM20SL, however, and I'm wondering if the little woofer
has a similar midrange magic as the dedicated midrange dome
in the 3-ways. Thanks!

No, a different loudspeaker unit will always sound different. Chances
are however that a british style system with a pair of small boxes as
those you can afford and a pair of subwoofers will make you very happy,
and you can add the subwoofers later. 3 more of the smaller boxes in
case you decide to to for 5.1 will also leave more space in the room
than 3 more of the large boxes.

I like my stereo full range, because a single sub is not very good at
telling you about out of phase LF, something that can be an error in a
recording or simply a property of its spatial rendering. It is for this
reason that I use the wording "pair of subwoofers". LFE in 5.1 is
somewhat different from simple subwoofing ...

Try to get a chance to listen to the actually considered loudspeakers in
the actual room before buying. You can form a guesstimate of whether a
loudspeaker will work in some other room after having heard it in
multiple rooms, but not after having heard it in a single demo-room.

Sean Broderick

Regards

Peter Larsen

Poor quality of built-in mic on MP3 players bixby Pro Audio 18 January 31st 06 12:02 AM
Vintage tube equipment for sale commonsenseaudio Vacuum Tubes 7 January 3rd 06 06:43 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Does Audio Quality Still Matter? Arny Krueger Pro Audio 31 July 8th 04 02:58 AM
Comments about Blind Testing watch king High End Audio 24 January 28th 04 04:03 PM