Posted to rec.audio.pro
JasonDamianUs JasonDamianUs is offline

Default Cut/Paste Click

Windows XP Service Pack 2
IBM Thinkcentre M52 - P4, 2GB
Pro Tools 6.4 + Update
Digi0001

Hey all... quick question...

I am tracking a solo, and am not taking the best parts from different
takes. When pasting the pieces in I am getting small clicks at the
insert point.

Whast the best way to get rid of this? I have the X-Click plugin...
and have read the instructions but it doesnt seem to work as
promised.

Thanks

Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 25, 2:50 pm, "JasonDamianUs" wrote:

When pasting the pieces in I am getting small clicks at the
insert point.

Whast the best way to get rid of this?

Crossfade at the splice point. I did a survey of 2-track editing
programs a while back and was disappointed to find how many simply
didn't do this. Read the manual for your DAW program and see what it
says about this.

My program of choice for musical editing is Fast Edit, which does
crossfades automatically and it doesn't click even if you do something
dumb. But I never figured out how to do the same thing in Sound
Forge.

I have the X-Click plugin...
and have read the instructions but it doesnt seem to work as
promised.

I wouldn't think a plug-in would help this. If that's a "de-clicker"
it probably looks for sharp spikes, not discontinuities in the
waveform. If you zoom in far enough at your splice point you'll see
the waveform abruptly change direction. That's the click you're
hearing.

The usual netlore answer to this, by the way (and I'll be a nickel
someone will post it before reading this far) is to always splice at a
zero-crossing. That only works when you're splicing two things that
are absolutely identical at the splice point. You don't have a chance
in hell of that occurring in real music. But it sounds good in print.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hassan Davis Hassan  Davis is offline

On Feb 25, 2:50 pm, "JasonDamianUs" wrote:
Windows XP Service Pack 2
IBM Thinkcentre M52 - P4, 2GB
Pro Tools 6.4 + Update
Digi0001

Hey all... quick question...

I am tracking a solo, and am not taking the best parts from different
takes. When pasting the pieces in I am getting small clicks at the
insert point.

Whast the best way to get rid of this? I have the X-Click plugin...
and have read the instructions but it doesnt seem to work as
promised.

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason. This click is likely not due to the recording but, instead,
to fact that adjacent regions do not meet with zero crossings. In
other words, when you have back-to-back audio regions on the same
track, you want the transition from one to the next to be as smooth as
possible (not jagged, so to speak).

The way to accomplish this is to either cross-fade between regions or
make sure the regions meet where the audio waveform of each is at the
zero crossing.

Hope this helps.

Hassan

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Feb 25, 3:04 pm, "Hassan Davis" wrote:

Hi Jason. This click is likely not due to the recording but, instead,
to fact that adjacent regions do not meet with zero crossings.

Heeheee! I knew somebody would say that! g

In
other words, when you have back-to-back audio regions on the same
track, you want the transition from one to the next to be as smooth as
possible (not jagged, so to speak).

That's indeed correct, but even the slightest discontinuity will be
audible as a click. Simply splicing at a zero crossing won't eliminate
the discontinuity. Worst case you could splice a positive-going wave
to a negative-going one at the zero crossing (somethning like this:
^^) and there would be an abrupt change in direction at zero. And even
if you splice at zero on the next half cycle, there will still likely
be a change in slope.

Crossfading is the answer, but not every program is smart enough to do
this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JasonDamianUs JasonDamianUs is offline

Guys, I am, pretty new to digital recording

Questions

* Are you saying NOT to use pro tools to fix this click?
* What is a "Zero crossing" - a flatline waveform?

Should I put the sections in different traks ??? This certainly worked
when I was building some drum fills... but
this would be way to many tracks for a serious guitar part that was
amshed-up'd by cutting and pasting.

Thanks

Jason

On Feb 25, 3:15 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Stolte Keith Stolte is offline

You can leave all the regions on a single track, but just add a
crossfade between the two pasted regions. Highlight were the two
regions meet and hit Ctrl+Start+F.

On Feb 25, 3:36 pm, "JasonDamianUs" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JasonDamianUs JasonDamianUs is offline

Yes. That worked great!!!! hooray!! Awesome. Thanks so much.

One other thing. What if I have a click that is not from a paste of
two regions. I.E It's just built into the track?

Jason

On Feb 25, 4:02 pm, "Keith Stolte" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Feb 25, 4:56 pm, "JasonDamianUs" wrote:

Yes. That worked great!!!! hooray!! Awesome.

You might want to zoom in close and look at "before" and "after" so
you'll understand what you just did. Sounds like it's pretty easy with
ProTools. I don't use that program.

One other thing. What if I have a click that is not from a paste of
two regions. I.E It's just built into the track?

If it's just an occasional click, probably the easiest thing to do is
zoom in on it, locate it, cut it out, and then fix the click you
created with the edit by crossfading, which you now what to do. The
click will be very short so you probably won't affect the musical time
by cutting it out. You could also try highlighting the area containing
the click (as small as possible) and running a de-clicker on that
highlighted segment. Or you could re-draw the waveform to smooth it
out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JasonDamianUs JasonDamianUs is offline

WOW. Lots of options. I dont think PT lets you draw waveform .

I dont think I can just cut it out. The click is "built into" the
track. i.e. it's part of the sound.

I guess I can cut it out, paste it in, and then add the crossfade. Is
that what your saying?

Jason

On Feb 25, 5:16 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

JasonDamianUs wrote:
WOW. Lots of options. I dont think PT lets you draw waveform .

I dont think I can just cut it out. The click is "built into" the
track. i.e. it's part of the sound.

I guess I can cut it out, paste it in, and then add the crossfade. Is
that what your saying?

Dunno about PT, but SoundForge has a function where you highlight the click
and choose whever you want it to interpolate or copy a section immediately
preceeding the click. I find the later usually the best.

Presumably PT and other editors have this sort of function....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 25, 5:48 pm, "JasonDamianUs" wrote:

I dont think I can just cut it out. The click is "built into" the
track. i.e. it's part of the sound.

Run that by me again? If it's part of the sound, why do you want to
"fix" it?

But if you do need to fix it, the standard DAW technique is try
something that seems like it might work. You'd be surprised at how
much you can take out and not notice it, sometimes. If you took out
too much, undo it and try again. Zooming in close is your friend here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Stolte Keith Stolte is offline

I dont think I can just cut it out. The click is "built into" the
track. i.e. it's part of the sound.

When you refer to a click, are you speaking of a noise produced by an
instrument? Like on wind instruments there is often a Key 'Clack'. Is
this what you are speaking of?

" cOOl cOw " 2Barter.net Pro Audio 1 December 8th 06 03:07 AM
Finally bought in Hal Pro Audio 10 August 18th 06 04:28 PM
Cassette adapter in Toyota, click, click, click. [email protected] Car Audio 0 August 18th 06 09:06 AM
advice on live click track Ben Hanson Pro Audio 38 October 11th 04 06:58 AM
advice on live click track Ben Hanson Pro Audio 0 September 28th 04 02:09 PM