Posted to rec.audio.tech
Derek Mark Edding Derek Mark Edding is offline

Default Who Still Makes Compact Component Receivers?

Hi Folks,

I've been looking for a smaller than usual stereo component receiver to
put in a lab/office area that doesn't have much space. I'd like it to
be decent but not high end, and it needs to have an aux input.

There used to be a number of manufacturers making them, I recall Onkyo,
Marantz, and Teac among others. I started looking for them recently at
a number of outlets, but I'm not finding them. Crutchfield and JR don't
sell them for example.

I could almost get away with using a decent car stereo and 12V power
supply, but it requires a lot of adapting to do what I want (enclosure,
antenna, power supply, and aux input).

Has it become unusual to want a small stereo receiver for background
music in a work area? Or are they just no longer sold in the major outlets?

Thanks,

-dreq
Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob bob is offline

On Jan 29, 5:44 pm, Derek Mark Edding wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been looking for a smaller than usual stereo component receiver to
put in a lab/office area that doesn't have much space. I'd like it to
be decent but not high end, and it needs to have an aux input.

There used to be a number of manufacturers making them, I recall Onkyo,
Marantz, and Teac among others. I started looking for them recently at
a number of outlets, but I'm not finding them. Crutchfield and JR don't
sell them for example.

I could almost get away with using a decent car stereo and 12V power
supply, but it requires a lot of adapting to do what I want (enclosure,
antenna, power supply, and aux input).

Has it become unusual to want a small stereo receiver for background
music in a work area? Or are they just no longer sold in the major outlets?

Here's an older thread asking the same question:

http://snipurl.com/18r3p

The Teac receivers were the last I knew of, and they don't seem to be
available anymore. Most people just buy minisystems, speakers and all,
for this purpose. I gather you already have speakers. What are they?
(And I presume your source will be an iPod or similar, plus the tuner
in the receiver, correct?)

Another option: Parasound makes half-rack separates. But this is going
to add up, price- and height-wise.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Derek Mark Edding" wrote ...
I've been looking for a smaller than usual stereo component receiver to
put in a lab/office area that doesn't have much space. I'd like it to be
decent but not high end, and it needs to have an aux input.

There used to be a number of manufacturers making them, I recall Onkyo,
Marantz, and Teac among others. I started looking for them recently at a
number of outlets, but I'm not finding them. Crutchfield and JR don't
sell them for example.

I could almost get away with using a decent car stereo and 12V power
supply, but it requires a lot of adapting to do what I want (enclosure,
antenna, power supply, and aux input).

Has it become unusual to want a small stereo receiver for background music
in a work area? Or are they just no longer sold in the major outlets?

There are always several mini "shelf systems" for sale at Costco
when I cruise that aisle. CD, AM/FM, aux, 2 speakers, etc.

OTOH, many places of business prohibit/discourage playing audio
that may distract/offend cow-orkers. And many of us work in
places where AM and/or FM radio reception is unusable. Hence
the popularity of iPods, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Derek Mark Edding wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been looking for a smaller than usual stereo component receiver
put in a lab/office area that doesn't have much space. I'd like it to
be decent but not high end, and it needs to have an aux input.

Has it become unusual to want a small stereo receiver for background
music in a work area? Or are they just no longer sold in the major
outlets?

Thanks,

-dreq

i'll put my vote in for the Accurian HD tabletop (from radio shack)
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-accuria...i-2460834.html

it has the aux in, remote control, and would look fine on any desk.

i find the AM section superb.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Derek Mark Edding wrote:
[...]

The Onkyo CS-210 mini audio system is decent. It's a stereo cd player /
receiver with 2 speakers. The speakers are better and more attractive than
what you'd often see in something of this range. The receiver unit is the
CR-305TX.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"TimPerry" wrote in message
Derek Mark Edding wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been looking for a smaller than usual stereo component receiver
put in a lab/office area that doesn't have much space. I'd like it to
be decent but not high end, and it needs to have an aux input.

Has it become unusual to want a small stereo receiver for background
music in a work area? Or are they just no longer sold in the major
outlets?

Thanks,

-dreq

i'll put my vote in for the Accurian HD tabletop (from radio shack)
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-accuria...i-2460834.html

it has the aux in, remote control, and would look fine on any desk.

i find the AM section superb.

That looks mighty familiar.....look at the Tivoli Audio web page:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com

I would favor the Tivoli Model 2 stereo, which does have an auxiliary input.
Looks and sounds great.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...cat=262&page=1

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.tech

bob wrote:
http://snipurl.com/18r3p

The Teac receivers were the last I knew of, and they don't seem to be
available anymore. Most people just buy minisystems, speakers and all,
for this purpose. I gather you already have speakers. What are they?
(And I presume your source will be an iPod or similar, plus the tuner
in the receiver, correct?)

Another option: Parasound makes half-rack separates. But this is going
to add up, price- and height-wise.

bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the idea of a rack system. I had already started looking at
using some rack space as a solution.

There are some fairly economical 1U components. For example, the Samson
Servo line has some inexpensive amps, and Pryamid (or Pyle Pro) makes a
1U preamp that's fairly cheap.

I haven't seen a stereo receiver with a tuner so far, but I may be able
to do without. I like the idea of having the equipment out of the way
completely.

-dreq