Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] donhdoyle@yahoo.com is offline

Default Center Channel Speaker: ceiling mount?

We have a new plasma TV mounted in the wall with a fireplace below.
Our 5.1 system has ceiling mounted speakers for the four speakers. Is
there a center channel speaker you can mount in the ceiling? We now
have one that is on a shelf above the TV and it is a matter of
aesthetics rather than sound that concerns us. Any good solutions out
there?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article m, " wrote:
We have a new plasma TV mounted in the wall with a fireplace below.
Our 5.1 system has ceiling mounted speakers for the four speakers. Is
there a center channel speaker you can mount in the ceiling? We now
have one that is on a shelf above the TV and it is a matter of
aesthetics rather than sound that concerns us. Any good solutions out
there?

If the others are ceiling mounted, I don't see or hear any problem just
putting one in the front center/UP position. You can use the exact same
speaker as the left-right, in fact it should be the same.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:59:42 GMT, GregS wrote:

In article m, " wrote:
We have a new plasma TV mounted in the wall with a fireplace below.
Our 5.1 system has ceiling mounted speakers for the four speakers. Is
there a center channel speaker you can mount in the ceiling? We now
have one that is on a shelf above the TV and it is a matter of
aesthetics rather than sound that concerns us. Any good solutions out
there?

If the others are ceiling mounted, I don't see or hear any problem just
putting one in the front center/UP position. You can use the exact same
speaker as the left-right, in fact it should be the same.

I would find having the dialog coming from the ceiling to be intolerable.
You should mount your tv up on the ceiling too.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:56:29 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

I would find having the dialog coming from the ceiling to be intolerable.
You should mount your tv up on the ceiling too.

I visited a posh flat in the Barbican tonight. Projection telly. Onto
a plaster wall, not a screen. Tiny speakers sitting by the projector.
Looked and sounded terrible. I suppose they were happy 'cos it was
expensive :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

In m, on 01/17/07
at 08:31 AM, " said:

We have a new plasma TV mounted in the wall with a fireplace below.
Our 5.1 system has ceiling mounted speakers for the four speakers. Is
there a center channel speaker you can mount in the ceiling? We now
have one that is on a shelf above the TV and it is a matter of
aesthetics rather than sound that concerns us. Any good solutions out
there?

In my opinion the center channel sound should be close to the screen.
The purpose of the center channel is to make dialog more realistic.
Prior to the center channel addition, the voice of a person in mid
screen was spread out over a large area and seemed out of place. With
the center speaker, dialog is more solidly attached to the picture.

Long and skinny speakers are available that are designed to be used
with flat panel TV's.

In addition to being near the picture, the center channel speakers
should have a tonal balance similar to the front speakers.

If you give me the choice of tonal balance or ceiling, I would be in a
quandary. If the ceiling was low and the TV high, I'd go for a ceiling
center speaker that is identical to the left and right. Otherwise, I'd
pick a receiver that can equalize each channel individually and use one
of the long and narrow speakers as a center. The equalizer can minimize
tonal differences.

Sometimes I'll use one speaker on each side of the TV rather than a
single speaker above or below the TV. In a few cases, where the room is
tiny and the left and right speakers are only a few inches from the TV,
I'll skip the center channel.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] donhdoyle@yahoo.com is offline

The setup we now have is a Pioneer (5060 ) plasma 50 inch mounted just
above the midway point on a wall that is 10 feet hight. above the TV
is a recessed shelf on which sits the Pioneer long thin center speaker.
The other four speakers are all ceiling mounted and now sound great.
These replace front speakers that also sat on the display shelf that
extends across the top of the wall. So the center channel speaker is
now about 18 inches above the top of the TV. It is black and long and
doesn't work well aesthetically with what we want that shelf to look
like.

One alternative would be to put something in the ceiling: this would
put the speaker about 30 inches above the TV and pointing down, unless
there is an aimable speaker we could use.

Another alternative would be to find something smaller to replace the
stock pioneer long and black speaker, something that we could decorate
around more easily.

I have been looking at websites with speakers and do find wall mounted
center channel speakers that I suppose one could just as easily mount
in the ceiling.

I'm eager for advice from any who have actually tried a ceiling mounted
center channel speaker or have seen it working. I understand that, in
theory, it may not seem like it would work. I'd just like to know more
about whether, in practice, it does or does not work well.

And, I'd appreciate recommendations on small shelf speakers as another
solution.
Many thanks,
Don

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, " wrote:
[...]

The fact that it allready sounds great to you should be enough. Aparently the
sound is not too HIGH. A simple addition of an identical center channel should
work just fine. Perhaps we can get some feedback from you when they dicide
to go 7.1 X 2, for top speakers, and bottom speakers !!

greg