Davidlown

Default Best Non-Classical SACD Recordings?

Hello,

I would love to get some peoples favorite non-classical SACD recordings?
Recordings that are cool and are world class in sound reproduction. Also, if
someone could recommend a reference "DSD Mastered" SACD recording also I would
like to pick one up.

Sincerely,

David lown
goFab.com

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:03:28 GMT, in article
4CR7b.313227$Oz4.103310@rwcrnsc54, Harry Lavo stated:

"Davidlown" wrote in message
Hello,

I would love to get some peoples favorite non-classical SACD recordings?
Recordings that are cool and are world class in sound reproduction. Also,

if
someone could recommend a reference "DSD Mastered" SACD recording also I

would
like to pick one up.

Sincerely,

David lown

I have posted such lists here at least twice. Just do a google search of
the archeive under "SACD".

Also, there have been many such lists posted on the Hi-Rez Forum over in
www.audioasylum.com.

Good listening!

Harry

Outside of the classical arena, IMHO the alternatives for "pure" DSD recordings
has remained fairly slim. (Although I think we should all thank Telarc for
prominently identifying on the back cover those of its releases that are not
decimated or converted to PCM anywhere in the chain - others should follow suit;
Acoustic Sounds purports to identify a list of pure DSD disks among the many for
sale on its website). Obviously, Dark Side of the Moon, and the Stones, Police
and Peter Gabriel SACDs, are all derived from analog master tapes. That being
said, "Zenyatta Mondatta," "Passion" and "Us" are outstanding releases, IMHO.
"Beggars Banquet" too.

The one "pure DSD" SACD I've heard that combines great, involving music with
jaw-dropping sound is the Jorma Kaukonen multichannel disk (so far, I've only
listened in stereo, and it is stunning in 2 channel). For me, outside of
classical releases, this disk is in a category of its own.

As a footnote, I also should acknowledge the DVD-A of, of all things, "Welcome
to my Nightmare" by Alice Cooper. I greatly prefer this multichannel recording
over most other pop recordings I've heard, including the Dark Side of the Moon
SACD.

interstate5