Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] theanvah@gmail.com is offline

Default Multiple Source Audio Recording Help

Hello,

I'm working on a project that requires recording from 5 - 10 different
sources for 1 hour.

I don't care about the quality of recording. Rather just whether sound
was present or not, the total length of sound and silence, and the
interval between sounds. As a last option, I can write code to figure
those things out if I have the wav.

Currently I have a simple recording device that's activated by sound.
But there's one device only. I have to do 30 trials which means that
I'd have to spend 30 X (1 hr + setup time). I don't relish that
thought.

I presume there is technology that can record a number of different
sources to a laptop. Any idea if I can rent said technology for a few
days?

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Anvah.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
I'm working on a project that requires recording from 5 - 10 different
sources for 1 hour.

I don't care about the quality of recording. Rather just whether
sound
was present or not, the total length of sound and silence, and the
interval between sounds. As a last option, I can write code to figure
those things out if I have the wav.

If you ONLY want to tell the start/stop times of sound vs. silence,
then there are likely "instrurmentation" solutions that are much
cheaper than multi-track audio recording (which are very careful
to preserve the QUALITY of the sound recording, which apparently
is not important for your application).

I presume there is technology that can record a number of different
sources to a laptop. Any idea if I can rent said technology for a few
days?

Lots of laboratory equipment supply rental places will rent
"logging recorders" which can be programmed to record
whatever you want. Many (most?) of them could be used
to record low-grade audio, but with timestamps, etc.
Traditionally, these were standalone units, but likely newer
solutions involve using a computer to record, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] theanvah@gmail.com is offline

Hi Rchard,

Thanks! Yes....I'm recording cricket chrips in an hour after a
treatment to see how it's affected. I will call up some labarotory
rental places in Toronto to find out.

Anvah.

Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] theanvah@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for the reply. If Richard's solution is cheaper, I would prefer
that. Especially since I don't much care for the sound itself, just
whether it was present or not.

Thanks again.

Anvah.
Serge Auckland wrote:
wrote:
[...]

An 8 or 16 track audio recorder will do what you need. They will record
to hard-disc, and the recording can then be transferred to your PC for
analysis. They can be rented from Pro-Audio rental outlets like GearBox
in the UK.

S.